Suspension recommendation for AE111?

lkeong88

Known Member
Nov 1, 2009
Cheras
I have something to say, I went from adjustable to stock suspensions. If you are not going to track, stock suspension is more than enough. I still manage to go Karak highway at up to 160kmh, and JB to Terengganu road, I can drive at 180kmh with the car feeling stable. If you don't strengthen your chassis, all suspensions also won't give you good feeling

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
There's a few things that many people tend to forget when upgrading their suspension. Having stiff suspension that makes the car take sharp corners like a sports car but rides terribly on bumpy roads is not really worth it. Most of the time we drive on straight roads, highways, trunk roads etc. The time we spend taking sharp corners may only be like 3-4% of our total driving time. The rest 97% is spend on straight road, right? :biggrin:

Also, a super stiff suspension doesn't always guarantee the car will handle superbly, especially on bumpy roads as traction will be lost when the tyre is not in contact with the road.

Just my 2 cents. :driver:

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
TITAN...:biggrin:
can tune them until satisfied...
i believe its cheapest when you want to service them...
Custom suspension are good if you able to visit them for adjusting base on you requirement.
For people in Borneo... kinda headache to ship the item back if not satisfied.
Cost matter are so no practical... for low budget people like me.

Normally, in custom format... it would be better to bring the car to the center.
They will do any necessary or measuring the car...
For car in Borneo....? :hmmmm:

Borneo kinda limited choice...
if you have big budget no problem..
Everyday can try & error for any suspension.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Custom suspension are good if you able to visit them for adjusting base on you requirement.
For people in Borneo... kinda headache to ship the item back if not satisfied.
Cost matter are so no practical... for low budget people like me.

Normally, in custom format... it would be better to bring the car to the center.
They will do any necessary or measuring the car...
For car in Borneo....? :hmmmm:

Borneo kinda limited choice...
if you have big budget no problem..
Everyday can try & error for any suspension.
That's true... Even for me, what I plan is that when the time for servicing comes, I just order the servicing kit and send them to the local 4x4 suspension shop here and ask them to service. Not sure can or not. But there are a few 4x4 shops here that service 4x4 suspension. They are similar I guess. Just not as perfect as those purely for normal cars...

lwc1983

May 17, 2009
I'm driving ae111 96' (ae110), im using GAB SA series absorber for 2 yrs already, it's still good condition I guess. It's cost me rm8xx 2 yrs ago. My gab is on stock spring & 205/45/16, it's still can handle up to 170km/h.

My opinion, if you're not planing to change to spring with low budget(within 1k), and want to improve the car handling, you can choose any local sport absorber like Gab, kyb, improve & ... Sport absorber doesn't very stiff without lowered spring. Stiff it's really depend on the owner.

But original corolla suspension setup, the gap between wheel & chasis, front side is higher than rear, it's doesn't sporty look, I really dun like it. For me, I will go on high/low & soft/hard adjustable kit. Titan shock is good but it's in KL, it's recommended by local racer/drifter. The only choice for me is HWL or Titan at the moment. Forget about Tein or CUSCO since it's expensive, you wouldn't need it if you're not a hardcore driver.

My fren just changed HWL high/low & soft/hard on his EG with B18C few months ago, it cost below rm2.5k, so far not complain and satisfied him.

lkeong88

Known Member
Nov 1, 2009
Cheras
Whether your car feels good at 180kmh also depends on your chassis condition, if its not properly reinforced what suspension you choose also useless. I am using stock Tokico and I also can handle 180kmh quite stably. I even do 180kmh on Segamat - Kuantan road.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I have something to say, I went from adjustable to stock suspensions. If you are not going to track, stock suspension is more than enough. I still manage to go Karak highway at up to 160kmh, and JB to Terengganu road, I can drive at 180kmh with the car feeling stable. If you don't strengthen your chassis, all suspensions also won't give you good feeling
Whether your car feels good at 180kmh also depends on your chassis condition, if its not properly reinforced what suspension you choose also useless. I am using stock Tokico and I also can handle 180kmh quite stably. I even do 180kmh on Segamat - Kuantan road.
Bro my usage is more of curved roads and not so much of highways. Of course if it is straight roads, normal sports absorbers are okay already. No need for adjustables.

tonyops

Known Member
Oct 28, 2010
Sarawak
I wana sell off my buddy club junior spec fully adjustables. That is if u want it.. hahahahha

lwc1983

May 17, 2009
Yep, chasis condition is very important.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I wana sell off my buddy club junior spec fully adjustables. That is if u want it.. hahahahha
Haha... I hope I can afford that man. thanks for the offer. That is quite a luxurious item you got there. I've seen recon units of bC junior for RM 3k and BS racing for RM 2k. :adore:

Yep, chasis condition is very important.
My chassis is fine. I will do more enhancements but that will be after my suspension.

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

By the way guys... Just to let you guys know my decision. And maybe this will help in your decision too in the future. I have decided to use sport shock and sport springs instead of adjustables. The reason for this is that i figured out that I won't be adjusting the height and stiffness for a daily drive. And there's no track here.

As for the brand, first choice would be APM performax and second is HWL. Why APM? Because it is cheap. Sadly, cost is a factor for me :bawling:

For APM performax, the absorbers are stiffer than standard absorbers but still considered standard. But the springs are true sport springs. To the effect is is stiffer than standard but not as rock hard as pure sports systems.

The sitffness of APM performax I estimate is about 5 - 10% less than HWL, but the price difference is 50% less!!!

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
I'm gonna get myself a sport spring too..
Manufactured by dr spring.
Any1 heard about it?

lwc1983

May 17, 2009
I have tried out a set of GAB lowered sport spring on SA GAB absorber on stock rim 185/65/r14.
The spring is 2nd and got it from fren, im not sure its still stock condition or not.
This combination is damn stiff, i just used for 1 day, and changed it back to stock spring.
Wasting my money for installation and alignment ... :(

Please check the sport spring how much lowered compare to stock spring.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

This was something I did a while ago. I realised that the hot air from the radiator fan blows directly at the air filter and this will cause the air intake tempreature to be high. I had a hose that channels air from a scoop from under the car so I though that building a heat shield around the filter would b a great idea. the details are at http://post-spm.blogspot.com/2005_02_06_post-spm_archive.html. scroll down a bit to look at the pictures. I used some old aluminium sheets that...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience