RSM technical question

apexc

Known Member
Nov 21, 2004
Klang Valley
Visit site
what type of signal that RSM receive for the vechicle speed.

volt - 0volt to 5volt
mA - 4-20mA
pulse

answers will be very appreaciate.

thank u

apexc

Known Member
Nov 21, 2004
Klang Valley
Visit site
thanks very much.......any way to install it(RSM) in a sensor that giving output 0-5v

zaki

Known Member
Dec 7, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
what are you trying to do actually?
if you are from electronics background, you might want to try pulse/frequency to voltage converter.

apexc

Known Member
Nov 21, 2004
Klang Valley
Visit site
no i would like to install the RSM to my car.....citroen.....from what i know my speed sensor will give output in volt....

sensor is a three wire sensor.....

1. ground
2. 5 volt reference from ECU
3. signal to ECU ( as i say above....signal might be in volt )

MR. Zaki any expereince in installing one in the conti cars....?

zaki

Known Member
Dec 7, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
apexc said:
no i would like to install the RSM to my car.....citroen.....from what i know my speed sensor will give output in volt....

sensor is a three wire sensor.....

1. ground
2. 5 volt reference from ECU
3. signal to ECU ( as i say above....signal might be in volt )

MR. Zaki any expereince in installing one in the conti cars....?
i have tried to search in the net. i found that most of citroen speed sensors give pulse signal.

http://xantiaclub.net/hydractive2/

Speed sensor

The sensor is Hall effect based and produces 8 impulses per rotation, or approximately 5 impulses per meter traveled (this depends somewhat on tire size). It is located on the gearbox where the speedometer cable attaches, or in some versions, on the cable itself.
i have no experience installing one in the conti cars but as long as the signal is `readable', RSM will work

apexc

Known Member
Nov 21, 2004
Klang Valley
Visit site
thanks very much......sorry to border u so much.....
will try to ask in the forum more about it.....by the way i'm driving cit ZX 1.9i
very keen to install a RSM in my Babe....looks very nice although it has no function or to remove the speed limiter.....as i know....citroen cars doesn't has any speed limiter...

any problem occur during installation , can i contact u MR ZAKI.....???

apexc

Known Member
Nov 21, 2004
Klang Valley
Visit site
this is what i get through my search......from a source that i really can trust(not on the)

vehicle speed sensor

Hall effect type(8 signal per revolution).the sensor inform the ECU of the road speed of the vehicle. supplied with 12v , it produces a periodical tooth shaped signal whose amplitude is proportional to the vehicle speed.

diagram is as below.....

three pins for the speed sensor
1. 12v
2. ground
3. 6v when vehicle is in motion

so from what i understand from above....the third wire will send 6v output n aslo a asquare wave as describe above.

MR ZAKI the wire i should tap to the RSM is the third wire, am i right. i have the RSM with me right now....i m scared to try , scared anything happen to the RSM(friend's RSM)

one more question, what should set for the pulse setting? should i set to 8P?

zaki

Known Member
Dec 7, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
no 1 & 2 is power and ground. the 3rd wire is the signal. regardless of how many volts it gives, the signal will always be on-off-on-off-on-off. if that so, the 3rd wire is the one that should be wired to the RSM's speed wire.
On the pulse settings you can start with 8pulse, if you want to make the car `looks' faster use lower value :) sometimes you need to trial n error for the settings if you don't have data.

Last edited:

apexc

Known Member
Nov 21, 2004
Klang Valley
Visit site
thanks MR ZAKI......already install n tested....it works.....

i just need the manual right now for setting......what u get from the net is the older version one.....not the one like mine....mine is the blue screen one....do u hav it...?

my mail [email protected]

apexc

Known Member
Nov 21, 2004
Klang Valley
Visit site
both the document u gave i already hav it......the manual is for the 4 buttons one right....mine is the blue screen n only one big round button that can moves left right up down n select is push the whole round button....

this is the one i have

apexc

Known Member
Nov 21, 2004
Klang Valley
Visit site
thank u MR ZAKI.......

apexc

Known Member
Nov 21, 2004
Klang Valley
Visit site
wrong speed sensor wire tapped .......

rorytate

4,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
hi apexc....

well, i've tried on that as well....

and installed at N1. Care to assist?

1: where is the speed sensor wire? if according to apexi pdf, there's 2 version and on that 2 version there's 2 different place to tap in each pdf...i've tried both\

2: where is the speed sensor? could it be the speed sensor kong already?

lancer meter console on a gsr-wira

apexc

Known Member
Nov 21, 2004
Klang Valley
Visit site
aaa.......will try to help....not so terror.....
as u install at N1 i think it will work....N1 sunway right.....?

the wire is at the ECU.....from the pdf file u can see it......near the rpm wire.....

speed sensor normally is located at the gearbox....where the drive shafts is insert...

this is what i can explain......more details hav to wait for MR ZAKI.....

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
rorytate.. refer to the wiring diagram (GSR) i attach. Also check if your RSM grounding is correct. If not try borrow pivot speed meter and test if your speed signal is ok or not. The other suspect is that the wiring is not connected securely with your meter cluster. Loose connection may have an effect on your speed signal. The other suspect is the meter cluster itself. Very unlikely the speed sensor failed while your meter cluster still can show u speed readings. Gdluck.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My Satria 1997 1.5 auto using ngv has been having repeated problems with the alternator. Two months ago I had a Japanese imported used alternator fitted. Today the car won't start, even with a new battery.

Is a repaired alternator reliable?

Any views please?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience