what is high cam for???

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
Actually high cam can DIY .

The only parts will be involved is your car's roof.

Just need to buy any camera, digicam also can .. And drill it to stick onto your rooftop. The highest point of your car..

It'll be a high cam.

E3newbie

Known Member
Aug 20, 2006
Cams lift up the valves to let air into the combustion chamber. High cams lift the valves higher and longer to let more air in. Depending on car model, you can buy after market cams. Some models a bit rare and costs a lot. Average new cams a pair maybe about 3K + -

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
nitrus said:
Actually high cam can DIY .

The only parts will be involved is your car's roof.

Just need to buy any camera, digicam also can .. And drill it to stick onto your rooftop. The highest point of your car..

It'll be a high cam.
lol very funny.

detoaura said:
does anyone know wat does high cam for???
can it be done to all car??
what will be the cost ???
what part will be involved???
- lift the valve for a longer duration so you get more air into your engine at higher rpm thus increase power but sacrifice low end power since the air can flow back into the intake manifold because the valve opens for too long.
- theorically yes. if you don't find those ready made for your engine, you can custom made them.
- Well it cost abit less than rm3k a pair for my engine, just the cam alone.
- parts that would probably be involved is:
- High cam (ofcourse)
- adjustable cam puley (you will need to adjust it for proper usable power)
- better valse spring (if you buy an extremely high duration high lift cam)
- new pistons that can clear the valves (if your valve lift is too nigh)
- adjustable standalone ecu (cuz stock one won't support high cam, unless you go for milder one that is only abit higher than your stock)

all in all it could easily cost up to 15k depends on what you get.

theorekz

500 RPM
Mar 29, 2005
hiztorikal.c.t.
Visit site
well, basically rollakid has provided u a "near-complete" guide of high cam.. hehe...

to be simple, camshaft is the part inside ur engine that holds the valve.. the term high is to describe the cam lifting, cam duration and encentra.. high is a very arbirtuary term... some ppl think a 282deg cam is not high.. hehe...

costing, depends on ur car model loh... and also brand u r looking for... matspeed costs around rm1+++ while those JUN, HKS ... might cost few grands...

WestCoast

Known Member
Mar 26, 2006
tumpang tanya sat..
if change cam pulley only didnt change camshaft will do hi cam? im really noob at this..so need help

kob3bryant

Known Member
Dec 3, 2005
high cam the shaft with many gear;if ur car is single cam version.open up the cap of engine oil and u will see a shaft laying inside the block.tat is cam.

WestCoast

Known Member
Mar 26, 2006
my car is a 4G93 standard engine in a putra
if i wana do hi cam wif changing only the cam pulleys can or not?
if change cam pulley only didnt change cam shaft can adjust till how many degrees? performance how? thx sifus!

WestCoast

Known Member
Mar 26, 2006
by changing cam pulley can do 272 degrees? wat brand good? aerospeed ok? im really interested at this cam things but im noob at it so need help.need change wat cam belt stuff??

kob3bryant

Known Member
Dec 3, 2005
go to marketplace to search the adjustable cam pulley and high cam;a few of members r selling their stuff.high cam means the cam inside the block;adjustable cam pulley wise,i am not sure.
with adjustable cam pulley only can adjust the height of cam meh?
u can try to increase ur engine compression;got one member selling 0.4mm metal gasket.tis gadget do help a bit in performance

WestCoast

Known Member
Mar 26, 2006
the thinner the metal gasket the higher the compression therefore we get better performance?
wat's the ori metal gasket mm??
got wat suggestion sumore?

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
WestCoast said:
tumpang tanya sat..
if change cam pulley only didnt change camshaft will do hi cam? im really noob at this..so need help
if change puley only without changing camshaft, it is only stock cam with adjustable cam puley

WestCoast said:
my car is a 4G93 standard engine in a putra
if i wana do hi cam wif changing only the cam pulleys can or not?
if change cam pulley only didnt change cam shaft can adjust till how many degrees? performance how? thx sifus!
changing the puley only lets you advance of retard the camshaft. Yes it does increase power but only at the rpm that you tune it for, and the rest of the rpm will suffer.

that is why toyota's vvti and other similar variable cam timing technology change the timing automatically depend on the rpm of the engine to achieve maximum power at every rpm posible.

WestCoast said:
by changing cam pulley can do 272 degrees? wat brand good? aerospeed ok? im really interested at this cam things but im noob at it so need help.need change wat cam belt stuff??
you do not change the degree the cam open by just changing the puley. a stock 240 degree cam will always be 240 degree if you don't change it (because its solid metal stuff lol they don't change shape XD)

advice: there are better thing to do to increase overall horsepower rather than invest in the adjustable puley

kob3bryant said:
with adjustable cam pulley only can adjust the height of cam meh?
check if the cam is female if so give her stilletos then adjust height already XD rofl jk jk..

anyway, no, for those who's wondering, it doesn't work that way.

kob3bryant

Known Member
Dec 3, 2005
i am not sure the ori thickness is 1.5mm or not.4g15 wise;the member is selling as well

edwin_lcw

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2005
Setapak
so if i wan change should i go for adjustables pulley n cam or just cam only ?