Wastegate Explained.

KRZ8v

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Aug 31, 2009
KL/Subang Jaya
Just for your information, get a bigger midbox and exhaust system before the heat and back pressure damage ur O2 sensors and turbine. 2.5" for a 1.6 will be good...
Oh, my o2 sensor is not plug in btw. Its juz mounted there to plug the hole:biggrin: 2.5"??? Hmmmm.... not too big meh???:hmmmm:

chrissyong

500 RPM
Aug 14, 2007
chill guys, dont fight
the only problem with tial is , tial in malaysia are mostly not original
im also running turbosmart , speed2horizon is also running one
i faced problems with the turbosmart bt was solved with help of sdf with lil tweak of spring rates
one more issue in malaysia is choose the wrong size of wastegate n etc

tials are proven same as turbosmart :) we are still far slower than the other cars in US who is running on tials, they run higher boost than nearly all sepang cars

john shepherd 7sec 4g63
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v288/197/78/19738257875/n19738257875_731187_7600.jpg

evil eagle 8sec 4g6x
http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/files/1/0/2/1/2/2007build032_1.jpg

twicks 9sec 4g9x
http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/files/2/8/7/2/3/4.jpg

so dont worry guys, its ur choice , i head for turbosmart becos i want to avoid the fake tials
the picture picture look like hehe,but anyway u got the point already..

Last edited:

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
so dont worry guys, its ur choice , i head for turbosmart becos i want to avoid the fake tials
me too bro..just to avoid the fake tial in the market.I really unable to differantiate the fake and the ori tial.

price wise more a less the same.. so just try out turbosmart and it serves well

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
chill guys, dont fight
the only problem with tial is , tial in malaysia are mostly not original
im also running turbosmart , speed2horizon is also running one
i faced problems with the turbosmart bt was solved with help of sdf with lil tweak of spring rates
one more issue in malaysia is choose the wrong size of wastegate n etc

tials are proven same as turbosmart :) we are still far slower than the other cars in US who is running on tials, they run higher boost than nearly all sepang cars

john shepherd 7sec 4g63
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v288/197/78/19738257875/n19738257875_731187_7600.jpg

evil eagle 8sec 4g6x
http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/files/1/0/2/1/2/2007build032_1.jpg

twicks 9sec 4g9x
http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/files/2/8/7/2/3/4.jpg

U came in at the right time babe.... I was just looking for the pictures... I thought the STWANGAN's 9 secs 4G63T is impressive enough.. But it isn't...

OUT OF TOPIC A LITTLE, Bro.... I changed my Satria's leg from Japanese T to Local T already... Felt SUPERB.... Haven't been having this kinda feeling for a long time...

Oh, my o2 sensor is not plug in btw. Its juz mounted there to plug the hole:biggrin: 2.5"??? Hmmmm.... not too big meh???:hmmmm:
Wow.... Unplugging the O2 sensor will make ur car runs Open Loop all the time. No AFR feeback to the ECU. It'll increase the fuel consumption of your engine.

In turbocharged engine, we have before tubine and after turbine exhaust. So, big exhaust is not a problem. 2.5" is just nice for a spirited driving 1.6 supercharged engine... If you wanna prepare for higher boost application, U may opt for 2.8".. But too bad, this size is very RARE in Malaysia....

me too bro..just to avoid the fake tial in the market.I really unable to differantiate the fake and the ori tial.

price wise more a less the same.. so just try out turbosmart and it serves well
Not the story anymore... Turbosmart price went up by RM500 for the 45mm within the past few months... Kekeke....

I opted for the TS because of the
color and shape
finishing
smaller community
single piece valve(2nd most important factor)
immitation of TiAL(The most important factor)

Cheers..

Last edited:

KRZ8v

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Aug 31, 2009
KL/Subang Jaya
@speed2horizon

Yup.... dats y most of the time weekends only I'll drive the car.... The car is not environmental friendly and economical... 1 2 overtake oso exhaust smoke like Pajero diesel hahahahahaa..... Maybe I'll opt for 2.5" piping when my old rusted piping start to give way...

Thanks alot for the info btw... cheers

kk13

1,000 RPM
Oct 29, 2005
Hi guys,

thinkin of changing to a tial wastegate as mine is apparently stuck open...

i know it depends on the size...but any idea on the prices??

thanks

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Hi guys,

thinkin of changing to a tial wastegate as mine is apparently stuck open...

i know it depends on the size...but any idea on the prices??

thanks
Don;t be lazy... check around in the marketplace... U'll find a number of ppl selling it

kk13

1,000 RPM
Oct 29, 2005
yeah i've looked on the net...

there are like one arun 300+...but i dont think these are ori...

then there are ones from 600 - 1200

but was asking arun wat price would be a reasonable amount to pay for one...

i wanted a larger mm size...

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
yeah i've looked on the net...

there are like one arun 300+...but i dont think these are ori...

then there are ones from 600 - 1200

but was asking arun wat price would be a reasonable amount to pay for one...

i wanted a larger mm size...
38mm is running at RM800 - RM900
44mm is running at RM1200 - RM1400
50/60mm sorry, not too sure. Maybe I can't afford it.

kanan

500 RPM
Nov 12, 2005
KL
don't buy imitate tial suda..price n warranty dictates quality/originality most of the time

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
don't buy imitate tial suda..price n warranty dictates quality/originality most of the time
When u wanna install?? I have nothing to do recently and I thought of a nice eat to plunk it into a TD04L. Neat n hasslefree. Wuahaha...

kanan

500 RPM
Nov 12, 2005
KL
When u wanna install?? I have nothing to do recently and I thought of a nice eat to plunk it into a TD04L. Neat n hasslefree. Wuahaha...

I need two pcs :bawling: . my actuator at the back underneath one. i wonder if the wastegate will be pointing down too. but at the front can easily plunk the 2 inch pipe at the flap hehe

Last edited:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
I need two pcs :bawling: . my actuator at the back underneath one. i wonder if the wastegate will be pointing down too. but at the front can easily plunk the 2 inch pipe at the flap hehe

Look for short bend elbow sch 10. They should be good...

hantukubur

Jun 20, 2009
so that's the truth I'm looking for all the while.. really2 need it since i'm installing wastegate 38mm to my L2S.. is it ok? or do i need 35mm?

civic 0.5 BAR

Known Member
Jun 3, 2006
need advice from all sifu,
my current setup. 1.6 sohc bolt on turbo
td05 14b boosting 1.1bar.planning boosting 1.5bar soon
i just complete custom a water / methanol injection kit to my car,it activate on 0.85 bar.would like to install wastegate b4 tune my car.

1 ) 35 or 38mm suit it?
2 ) after install wastegate can i put back rear muffler to original like inlet & outter 2 inch, will it have back pressure issue?want make it silent .lound when boost.:proud:

vishnuruben

From Facebook
Sep 25, 2010
www.facebook.com
Sifus> Did stainless steel piping for my gsr recently however i have changed 2 actuators so far as always overboost and performance also lagging. Foreman is advising me to upgrade to a 38mm wastegate, is that true or actuators are good enuf for this mod...Thanks

jawsbite

Apr 5, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Sifus> Did stainless steel piping for my gsr recently however i have changed 2 actuators so far as always overboost and performance also lagging. Foreman is advising me to upgrade to a 38mm wastegate, is that true or actuators are good enuf for this mod...Thanks
Before any of the sifus in here can answer your question correctly, it would be better for you to describe boost related mod before & after the piping change, also whats the diameter of your IC piping.
Stock actuator usually will be sufficient to control boost of a stock turbo on a stock car. If what you experience is boost creep, then you could either port the stock gate or change to aftermarket wastegate. But before you even do all that, check for any leak especially the hose going to your actuator.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
need advice from all sifu,
my current setup. 1.6 sohc bolt on turbo
td05 14b boosting 1.1bar.planning boosting 1.5bar soon
i just complete custom a water / methanol injection kit to my car,it activate on 0.85 bar.would like to install wastegate b4 tune my car.

1 ) 35 or 38mm suit it?
2 ) after install wastegate can i put back rear muffler to original like inlet & outter 2 inch, will it have back pressure issue?want make it silent .lound when boost.:proud:
I guess most of the aftermarket wastegate have 38mm wastegate nowadays.... Unless u're using the olschool TIAL and HKS where 35mm still exist.

Regarding this issue, 2" is too small for turbocharged exhaust system. IMHO.

Boost spiking is due to the internal wastegate passage is too small where all the supposed to be dumped exhaust is channeled back to the turbine. This is boost spikes/creep. wastegate helps. Response wise.. Yes, it's better. Because the boost and dumping effect is reacted directly on the gate itself. Does not go through a actuation rod like actuator...

Sep 13, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi I would like to ask regarding Wastegate Preload setting.

If for example my stock ECU is tuned to run 8 PSI of boost but I need to make sure my Turbo will spool up until a maximum of 8 PSI before the Wastegate opens above 8 PSI so I need to set the Wastegate preload right?

So I can just unload the rod and run 8 PSI of compressed air into the Wastegate and tightening it will do the job?

I've seen some articles where they said you have to set 1/2 or 1/4 of your required boost levels for the wastegate preload so I just want to ask to make sure.

If I want 8 PSI of boost and instead of MBC/EBC and also my Engine & Turbo by default is made to handle 8 PSI so should I pump 8 PSI of air into the wastegate to set the preload?

More information that I can give is that it's a Mitsubishi TD04-13C and it has a CBV and the Intake is monitored by MAF.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
i thought boost creep also due to the placement lf the wastegate port on the manifold?

I am also wondering when to decide when to use 38mm vs 44mm wastegate.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It was a long time a coming but the slow and tantalizing striptease of the new BMW M5 is finally over as the boys from Bavaria have let loose a flurry of official photos with some juicy details to go along with it as well.
<b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b>...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience