Saga / Iswara Rear Brake Disc Solution

darkbob

Known Member
Dec 8, 2004
Johor Bahry
justin vspec,

the Callipers can be bolted on, i still havent had the time to go to the machine shop to ask wether they can put together my twin pot disc with my iswara knuckles.

the disc i'm not sure, its not like wira. you can just pull the disc out, the iswara version have to send to machine shop to be pulled out..

darkbob

Known Member
Dec 8, 2004
Johor Bahry
mitshu_saga,

there will not be any prob for the mirage disc, just plug and pley.. hehe..

but if u have trouble with allignment or camber, reuse ur original iswara knuckles.

Mirage knuckles and Iswara knuckles are the same, so just change the hub.. thats all.. heehe.

mitshu_saga

Known Member
Apr 8, 2005
k.l
bro.....if you say is the same....then why still have to change the knuckles.....cos that will cost me....wanna go pump,change barring and oil sail....so you last time wan leh...wanna let go ma?got any of your friends wanna letting that have done wan ka?where your location?meet for 'yam char'

darahhitam

2,000 RPM
Oct 4, 2004
KL
www.cardomain.com
Disk Brake Photos

Just to share some of the newer snapshots of my E12/C51 disks combo.
Clearer photos than before, I suppose.

Will snap some pics of the E12/E33 servo/master pump too, soon.

FRONT - Ventilated E12 Disk/Caliper

REAR - Solid C51 Disk/Caliper

vestax

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Damansara Heigh
www.fivio.com
haha darah ,
ur handbrake cable also lalu atas tralling arm wan eh ?. me also runing on that setup .

the other owners i see all use back the same route , i wonder how they streatch the cable .

darahhitam

2,000 RPM
Oct 4, 2004
KL
www.cardomain.com
Yup,
That's the only non-protruding way it seems, clipped using the standard plastic belt-thingy.

Aiyoh, same mechanic ka? :tongue:

darahhitam

2,000 RPM
Oct 4, 2004
KL
www.cardomain.com
"ABS" - Wangsa Maju/Jln Genting Klang.

Very near also.

darahhitam

2,000 RPM
Oct 4, 2004
KL
www.cardomain.com

darahhitam

2,000 RPM
Oct 4, 2004
KL
www.cardomain.com
Parking brake and other related matters

Another great article from the web. A short course on braking system, literally.

On why most drum brakes have better handbrake bite and most of our rear disk conversions left us with less grip than before.

Does the Mirage/VR4/ST rear disk comes with complete mechanical drum brake unit mounted inside the rear rotor? Anyone knows?

(Linked from: http://www.familycar.com/brakes.htm)

Parking Brakes
(QUOTE)
The parking brake (a.k.a. emergency brake) system controls the rear brakes through a series of steel cables that are connected to either a hand lever or a foot pedal. The idea is that the system is fully mechanical and completely bypasses the hydraulic system so that the vehicle can be brought to a stop even if there is a total brake failure.

On drum brakes, the cable pulls on a lever mounted in the rear brake and is directly connected to the brake shoes. this has the effect of bypassing the wheel cylinder and controlling the brakes directly.

Disk brakes on the rear wheels add additional complication for parking brake systems. There are two main designs for adding a mechanical parking brake to rear disk brakes.

The first type uses the existing rear wheel caliper and adds a lever attached to a mechanical corkscrew device inside the caliper piston. When the parking brake cable pulls on the lever, this corkscrew device pushes the piston against the pads, thereby bypassing the hydraulic system, to stop the vehicle. This type of system is primarily used with single piston floating calipers, if the caliper is of the four piston fixed type, then that type of system can't be used.
The other system uses a complete mechanical drum brake unit mounted inside the rear rotor. The brake shoes on this system are connected to a lever that is pulled by the parking brake cable to activate the brakes. The brake "drum" is actually the inside part of the rear brake rotor.
(UNQUOTE)

Last edited:

vestax

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Damansara Heigh
www.fivio.com
Most japanese rear disc brake sets does not come with the drum's , it uses the cockscrew piston type for the handbrake .

Which is why , if your hand brake aint gripping , you`ll have to service the calipers , IE take out the pistons for resurface , and resurface the housing , change new seals & dust cover , and recalibrate the cockscrew , so that both pistons are balance .

darahhitam

2,000 RPM
Oct 4, 2004
KL
www.cardomain.com
Thanks vesty for the explanation. Didn't know that most japanese rear disk is not equipped with such item.

Meaning that just by shortering/adjusting the cable won't do the trick, eh?

Mine still works OK for now, but definitely not as grippy as when I used the drums.
Resurface the pistons/housing means machining it?

Or enough by recalibration of the "corkscrew"?

vestax

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Damansara Heigh
www.fivio.com
It's hard to explain , but if you see the logic tightening the handbrake cable doesnt make any big difference .

The handbrake lever that is connected to the calipers , and the lever connected to the caliper / cockscrew can only turn at a certain degree , lets say 90 degree turn

So if the handbrake cable has been tighten or not if you pull the handbrake the lever still turns at 90 degrees .

Just that when you tighten , u shorten the cable distance , which means its more direct / solid feel , but at the end of the way its still doesnt bite .

Cause by tightening the cable its like making the lever standby at 45 degree , and the other 45 degree comes from pulling up the handbrake , so its logic to get direct feel , as you already shorten the cable travel distance . Hope you get me on this .

So if you shorten the distance , but ur pistons is like a srunk dick hiding inside the skin , it will not bite , u have to calibrate the piston to the middle , and just enough to clip with the rotors when the handbrake is been pulled . Not too much , as the pads needs to have some clearence too , if not jam brakes .

Resurface meaning cleaning the pistons by sand paper if its still usable . If not have to change to a new one . Same goes for your caliper housing , if it has been eaten , u`ll have to change calipers , if not it will leak .

Why japanese rear brake disc doesnt use drums ? cause , like said in the article u posted , only those 4 piston brakes will have the drums , as for the single pistons with floating calipers only will use the cockscrew system .

So how many japanese car's uses 4 pots for the rear's ?. Most of them only run on single piston floating calipers .

Cheers