Iswara upgrades - need your advice

FVel

500 RPM
I drive an 1994 Iswara Aeroback 1.3 manual. The car is still in very good condition because I took care of it all these years. I’m located in Ipoh.

I decided it is time to upgrade some of the car’s components to make it handle better and safer. It will not solve the problem of idiotic drivers but at least I improve my chances on the road and that’s always a good investment.

My priority is better road-holding, and better brakes. I might look into improving the engine’s power but that’s not so important right now. Money is no problem. Not really on a budget with this project, but at the same time, it has to be sensible .....so please don’t tell me to spend RM10K on rims :)

I have a competent mechanic who will be doing all the installation but he prefers to leave the choice of components to his customers. I was hoping that all you sifus here can offer some advice and recommendation on the following :-

1. The stock rims are 13” and I like to upgrade to 14” rims. The trouble is there’s not a whole lot of choices available when it comes to 14” rims. Most rims are 15” and above. Can you recommend some good quality light-weight 14” rims for my Iswara ? In general, will 14” rims be heavier than the stock 13” ?? and how much will this affect performance ? … I don’t really care about looks and I don’t think it makes much sense to have good looking rims if they are heavy as hell. Lightweight performance is more important…this is one reason I am aiming for good quality lightweight 14” rims, but are there any available for the Iswara ?

2. I plan to have the car lowered with new shocks and springs. What are your recommendations ? Are Tien or Eibach springs suitable for the Iswara ? If, yes, which Tien or Eibach model should I look at ? Are there other brands that you recommend ?

3. Brakes…..this is one component in my car that is in desperate need for upgrade. The stock ones are functional but have lousy stopping power. The pedal is soft and mushy. Just a few reasonably hard stops will be enough to cause brake fade. Just no confidence with them. I plan to junk the stock brakes and replace with new calipers, disc rotors, brake lines, double layer brake pump and brake pads. I also like to change the rear drum brakes to disc brakes. For the brake lines, I was thinking of getting ProRS brake lines which had been getting good reviews from Hypertune magazine but as for the other components, I have not made up my mind. What are your recommendations ?

I guess that is all I can think of at the moment. Hoping you can give me your opinions on the matter.

Best regards

Fvel

1) try searching around halfcut shop for lightweight japan 14" rims... yeah, its hard to come by coz now cars will hardly have 14" rims as their choice... try ur luck... other alternative, try get taiwan rims... do some survey and search around... u from ipoh rite??... check out weng cheong workshop along KK road... they have variety of rims to choose from... ask if u can weight those rims u prefered and compare it with ur stock 13" rims weight....

2) alwiz be reminded that lowered suspension will compensate its comfort... u cant get best of both worlds, between handling and comfort... IMO, i would recommend u eibach springs... not sure about TEIN though, but i heard good reviews from many eibach users... and if u have extra cash, do consider high/low adjustable coilovers... with that u wont have to worry about ur car too low or not low enough...

3) if u planning to look into performance upgrade soon, i would recommend u to change to twin layer brake servo... flush ur old brake fluid and replace with DOT4 brake fluid... as for brake pads, try not to get those will 'eat' disc... braided brake hose is good upgrade as well, if u've upgraded ur brake servo....

my iswara currently using VR4 twin layer brake servo, DOT4 fluids, AFI pads, diy braided brake hose... i would say braking performance improved significantly...

as for performance upgrade, start with air intakes and exhaust modifications... it is useless to mod ur car if its not even in good health... so, alwiz maintain ur engine in good health before upgrading....

Skywalker,

Thank you for your advice. Very helpful. Several of my freinds also told me to check out Weng Cheong, so I'm heading there this weekend.

Many thanks again.

Skywalker,

I went to Weng Cheong at Jalan KK today to look at what 14" they stock for my Iswara. Unfortunately, they only have one pattern...LOL. 14" rims not a very popular choice nowadays. Anyway, I think I should keep looking.

The rims I saw are from Taiwan. Brand is AF. Model is AF-436. I had a long talk with the people there and in the end we weighted this AF rim on the electronic scale. It is 5.4 kg (about 11.9 lbs). What do you think of AF rims ? Good or not ?

not sure about the difference of all taiwan rims la... i'm currently using 15" kspeed on my iswara.... heavier than 13" abit lah.... durability, yet to be tested... but so far still no defects... except that stupid kspeed label dropped off... haha...

if u on budget and wants a new rim, go for taiwan ones lor... if not, continue searching around forums and halfcut shop for second hand japanese rims... should be harder to come by, try ur luck if u not in hurry....

Top Bottom