Painting a car [HELP]

alantjw

1,500 RPM
Mar 26, 2008
Hi guys. anyone know where to buy cheap spray paint cans? i need colored matt paint aside from just black and white. Plasti dip is good but its way over my budget especially the color that i wanted.

Sorry again if this is the wrong section as i cant find where to post this. hope mod can move to relevant section.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Ya just head to ACE and hunt for your spray paint, is gonna be costly as well as it aint cheap.

alantjw

1,500 RPM
Mar 26, 2008
im actually looking for a Matt yellow. i looked around and cant find them. At mr DIY there are only Matt black and white. ACE so far i didint see any matt paints there aside from white and black too.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
im actually looking for a Matt yellow. i looked around and cant find them. At mr DIY there are only Matt black and white. ACE so far i didint see any matt paints there aside from white and black too.
maybe can try a matte clear coat on those paint. Not sure if it works. Havent tried. U can get 2
cans to try out 1st then. Or just proceed for PD yellow

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
to do a matt yellow:biggrin: awesome but like u said flat paint is quite hard to get,for me too i just got the black 1, lookin for flat red just cannot find, if u have a fren in sing @ thai, maybe u can ask for their help

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Actually alantjw : I recall you saying your car was originally yellow (As in your avatar) so all you really need is a bottle of touchup paint, and a can (maybe 6) of matt spray which you can get from ACE or most large DIY shops.

The plastidip matt clear coat is a bit on the high side but at least that's removable. The other types of matt clear coat are about 30 a can and are permanent. You'll need a enclosed area or at least a closed off area otherwise getting dust specs on matt would be a major pain in the ass.

alantjw

1,500 RPM
Mar 26, 2008
maybe can try a matte clear coat on those paint. Not sure if it works. Havent tried. U can get 2
cans to try out 1st then. Or just proceed for PD yellow
haha yeah i was planning on that too but PD is to pricey. as for PD yellow around RM60+/can. which matt white that i use on my wira only cost me below RM8/can lots of difference. if PD is around RM20 sure i rather go for it haha. BTW i like your dipped work. looks awsome.

Buy 2 - 3 cans of Plastidip clear (which is matt). Top up on your yellow paint.
i actually tought of this too but after i did research on youtube on the clear plastidip on gloss, it looks bad. i rather leave it the way it is then doing that.

Actually alantjw : I recall you saying your car was originally yellow (As in your avatar) so all you really need is a bottle of touchup paint, and a can (maybe 6) of matt spray which you can get from ACE or most large DIY shops.

The plastidip matt clear coat is a bit on the high side but at least that's removable. The other types of matt clear coat are about 30 a can and are permanent. You'll need a enclosed area or at least a closed off area otherwise getting dust specs on matt would be a major pain in the ass.
yeah bro my car is original yellow. i wanted a touch up paint but i cant find the one that match my car color. any idea where to get custom touch up paint? and also i saw some tutorial on youtube, they will get the color code and go to paint shop to mix it, then they will put it into the spray can. not sure if this kind of service is available in malaysia? since i cant get it so i opt for matt colors instead.

i have tried matt white and black on my wira and its easier to apply then the gloss paint using the spray cans. and the finish is pretty good as i can say but i screw up alittle. and yeah its a pain to keep them clean as dust attracts to it, so every 2 days i will wipe the car with a damp cloth to remove the dust. pros of matt paint is also its easy to repair any defacts like scratches or stone chips. thats why i tought of making my celica matt too.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
yeah bro my car is original yellow. i wanted a touch up paint but i cant find the one that match my car color. any idea where to get custom touch up paint? and also i saw some tutorial on youtube, they will get the color code and go to paint shop to mix it, then they will put it into the spray can. not sure if this kind of service is available in malaysia? since i cant get it so i opt for matt colors instead.
I actually have done this before. But I got my friend to contact the paint shop for me. I'll try asking again because I need to respray something.

Remind me with a PM if I forget.

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Sorry to interrupt,

Just tumpang to ask a bit...

Im not hijacking this thread....

Since you all are talking about spray paint in cans,

Can anyone assist me in where to find good quality

FLOURESCENT COLOURED PAINT ?

I wanna spray my sports rims...

I was thinking of flourescent green for the centre hub of my sports rims...

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
haha yeah i was planning on that too but PD is to pricey. as for PD yellow around RM60+/can. which matt white that i use on my wira only cost me below RM8/can lots of difference. if PD is around RM20 sure i rather go for it haha. BTW i like your dipped work. looks awsome.

i actually tought of this too but after i did research on youtube on the clear plastidip on gloss, it looks bad. i rather leave it the way it is then doing that.

i have tried matt white and black on my wira and its easier to apply then the gloss paint using the spray cans. and the finish is pretty good as i can say but i screw up alittle. and yeah its a pain to keep them clean as dust attracts to it, so every 2 days i will wipe the car with a damp cloth to remove the dust. pros of matt paint is also its easy to repair any defacts like scratches or stone chips. thats why i tought of making my celica matt too.
Haha! Thanks but my plastidip skills not that good yet :rofl: There are more sifus out there.
I only remember that Nippon did mix the colours for me when I ordered a paint colour that I like
to paint the walls. Other than that for cars wise, I'm not sure if Nippon has any to mix for
cars. Bought my paint from Home Living If not wrong or Ace since I saw their mixing machine there.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Permanant? ACE I guess.
Normal paint then better got to your local hardware shop is cheaper...:biggrin:

Bought sandpaper in ACE compared to hardware shop is like double the price, could be due to their rental....:hmmmm:

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

Try the supermarket "Auto spa" brand touch up paint. They have original paint colors and clear coat.

If you need to custom mix the color, take off your fuel cover flap and take it to the shops selling automotive paint. They can mix for you but I think minimum is 1 Liter....:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Haha! Thanks but my plastidip skills not that good yet :rofl: There are more sifus out there.
I only remember that Nippon did mix the colours for me when I ordered a paint colour that I like
to paint the walls. Other than that for cars wise, I'm not sure if Nippon has any to mix for
cars. Bought my paint from Home Living If not wrong or Ace since I saw their mixing machine there.
Bro., House paint then yes. Jotun was the first I think. They just carry white paint and when you need different color they just mix for you....:biggrin:

alantjw

1,500 RPM
Mar 26, 2008
Sorry to interrupt,

Well i saw this kind of paint in ACE hardware. the spray can have the triangle thing there with the color you looking for. i think only limited colors

Normal paint then better got to your local hardware shop is cheaper...:biggrin:

Bought sandpaper in ACE compared to hardware shop is like double the price, could be due to their rental....:hmmmm:

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

Try the supermarket "Auto spa" brand touch up paint. They have original paint colors and clear coat.

If you need to custom mix the color, take off your fuel cover flap and take it to the shops selling automotive paint. They can mix for you but I think minimum is 1 Liter....:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Bro., House paint then yes. Jotun was the first I think. They just carry white paint and when you need different color they just mix for you....:biggrin:
well mine is not the original paint from toyota. so i really need a custom one. if minimum 1 liter can they make it into a spray can? because i dont have the sprayer.

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
Well i saw this kind of paint in ACE hardware. the spray can have the triangle thing there with the color you looking for. i think only limited colors

well mine is not the original paint from toyota. so i really need a custom one. if minimum 1 liter can they make it into a spray can? because i dont have the sprayer.
Originally Posted by LesleyAprotto
Sorry to interrupt,

well bro lesley, those fluo type u can get @ a good hardware, just ask for 2 star spray paint coz the colour difference & heat resistant factor, for the 3 star ones also limited colours but it made for the heat resistance that u can use it for the exzos too

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,
I'm not sure where to post this but I think most DIY members should know better.
I'm looking for this clip which hold Wira's rear number plate frame.
Anyone knows where to get them? I've tried spare part shops and they don't have it.
Where else could I get hold of this? Thanks.

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience