my experience

alantan350

Known Member
Apr 5, 2007
all toyota bro here, if your drive shaft kong, dun buy recon drive shaft, waste your money and give a lot of problem. recently i changed my drive shaft, the used parts guy recommend me to buy the recon drive shaft, cost me RM250 two side, after used for below two weeks, the recon drive shaft got problem (two side), i complain the used parts guy, he ask me go to his formen check, after check he only allow me to change left hand side drive shaft(same recon part). i already not happy with it.
After used for another two month, the left hand side drive shaft problem again, i change it to japan oem drive shaft, but after one more month, the other side right hand side drive shaft(recon) problem come out, the tire will jump around 80-90km and the car run to left hand side, at first i thought it balancing and alignment run out, so i do balancing and alignment, but problem still there, then i thought maybe the sifu not prof, so i change to other workshop to do again, same problem come out, i do balancing, on-wheel balancing, change front tire to rear, add camber, problem still there, at last, i change the recon drive shaft, problem solve.
my advice, never change the recon drive shaft, use back your drive shaft and just change the japan head, second choice is use japan oem drive shaft. dun ever try to use the recon lau si one.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor

alantan350

Known Member
Apr 5, 2007
recon drive shaft, not chop shop, that guy told me now a day only got recon, no more chop shop one, fxxk. that recon one not stable, turn no sound come out, look like no spoil, but tire will jump.

mamatAE111

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
Halfcut one are better than recon, but of course must choose good condition half cut ones. If rubber koyak, grease all over, don't buy that one lah... common sense

leynye yamin

Known Member
Sep 30, 2011
Sabah Sandakan
no ah, last time i buy halfcut drive shaft for my kancil, the foreman pull out from gearbox lagi, so i happy and bring home . after install, instantly got sound d, am tep ler.. buy brand new only from reputable brand. don play play.

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
My experience is japan for japan car, euro for euro car only, not taiwan not china or local, never.. even chop shop is better.. i learn the hard way too, cost me 1k just changing between those, now still broken drive shaft... Shxt... fXXking heart pain...

G221

Over 10,000 RPM!
Jan 15, 2004
KL
Halfcut one are better than recon, but of course must choose good condition half cut ones. If rubber koyak, grease all over, don't buy that one lah... common sense
yes correct. better buy halfcut (used, never broken, good condition) rather than recon (used, broken and reconditioned)

if got more budget, better option is to buy new.

monsh

Known Member
Mar 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
what is the price of the new one lets say for 4afe/4age/4agze ?

if the difference is too big, might as well try to source out for good condition driveshaft .

i myself need to find 1 set right now but need to ask reliable foreman to find 1 set for me .

mamatAE111

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
leynye yamin, if the drive shaft is still in the gearbox, then you can test it first before buying. Hold on the drive shaft on both side of the bearing, left and right side. Then pull with opposite force a few times. If you don't feel any looseness/freeplay in the bearing, then it is still in good condition. If you feel any free play, then the half cut drive shaft is not good anymore(even if the rubber boot is not yet 'koyak').

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
New whole drive shaft cost RM5xx a piece or me been chop...

mamatAE111

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
New whole ori Toyota Japan drive shaft should be RM1000 plus plus each side. Where you get RM500, or just head bearing only..?

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
UMW once quoted me RM4k for one side. Both side RM8k!!!
The SA told me not to worry cos they will give me 10% discount... WT$%&*#
At the end i paid RM35 for inspection fees and ran away as fast as i could.

After that i bought a used drive shaft that taken from Levin AE111 at Good Speed Kepong.
Use it from 2006 until now no problem.

Sorry to say that, I never trust local recond item.
Simply because the ppl behind are mostly cost orientated thinking and tends to use cheap spare parts from China to minimise their cost. And you know, cheap thing no good. And i just can't compromise with this kind of quality.

nicholas1007

500 RPM
Mar 20, 2006
I being quote RM3xx for each side. Made in Italy or something, I forgot. Now after read all the posts here. I scare this quote also recon item.
Anyone can tell me how to check wat is mine model of driveshaft? My mech tell me tat they have to dismantle it then only can confirm the rite model. Coz I bot my car after it already convert to BT.

zane_al

Known Member
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
My vios using taiwan made driveshafts (450 incl installation) , 1 yr still ok.
Rear wheel bearings using china made - now ABS is out of commission (160 each) , otherwise ok.
Toyota wants almost 3k for the first job.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys,

just inherited a 1974 Ford Cortina MK3 and would like to know the following things:

1. body work/restoration/rust removal

2. engine transplant or stick with the 1.6 kent crossflow and mod from there

3. any other advice from other mk3 cortina owners/previous owners

thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience