It's time to let it go......

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

But I guess the gap differences in handling is not that wide right? I mean STI and Evo are always very close rivals in terms of performance.

Speaking of handling, I always wonder if the handling of Evo and STI is better or worse than those old Civic EG, EK? Because those Civic always had such a good praise regarding their handling.
Well they were designed with the mindset to beat each other in the first place! I suppose in the hands of skillful drivers, the gap would be noticeable in favor of the Evo most of the time. Btw this is full stock to stock comparisons, if modded then different story already.

Those old Civic hatches were very lightweight, much lighter than Evos/STIs. Of course for stock to stock comparisons, you need to compare with the Type R Civics to have a chance. I'd think the limitation of those Civics as in any FWD is the power that they can put to the ground before the front tires start sliding. That's where AWD cars like Evos/STIs have the advantage, plus they also have bigger tires. I think if measured using G force meters, the AWD cars will give higher numbers, meaning can corner with grip at higher speeds (stock CT9A can reach 0.9g or more lateral force), but the Civics because they're much smaller and lighter they are more toss-able.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
When I sold my 3 door Accord, I never saw it again......lol
KL area too big. Even in Ipoh, I haven't seen some cars that used to belong to my family members after they are sold off.

Maybe you will be able to meet the new owner next time. :biggrin:

Well they were designed with the mindset to beat each other in the first place! I suppose in the hands of skillful drivers, the gap would be noticeable in favor of the Evo most of the time. Btw this is full stock to stock comparisons, if modded then different story already.

Those old Civic hatches were very lightweight, much lighter than Evos/STIs. Of course for stock to stock comparisons, you need to compare with the Type R Civics to have a chance. I'd think the limitation of those Civics as in any FWD is the power that they can put to the ground before the front tires start sliding. That's where AWD cars like Evos/STIs have the advantage, plus they also have bigger tires. I think if measured using G force meters, the AWD cars will give higher numbers, meaning can corner with grip at higher speeds (stock CT9A can reach 0.9g or more lateral force), but the Civics because they're much smaller and lighter they are more toss-able.
The battle between Evo and STI is always uncertain. Sometimes, I watched reviews where the Evo wins while sometimes, STI wins. For STI, mostly it will be the special versions that managed to win such as Spec C, RA-R and so on.

From your explanation, it seems that Civic may not be able to corner as fast as Evo and STI. More toss-able means that they are easier to corner than Evo/STI? While for Evo and STI, more skill is needed to corner?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
I hate to say but everyone should try the RX8 or S2000 50:50 distribution...

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Yes FDs too....

I have very limited experience with sports cars.... but here it is.

- GTR 400R (33)
- Evo 3, 7
- FD2R
- EG SiR
- 350Z
- STi V3

but when I drove my own RX-8 (which is in stock), damn this thing handles as well if not better than those tuned I mentioned above.

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yes FDs too....

I have very limited experience with sports cars.... but here it is.

- GTR 400R (33)
- Evo 3, 7
- FD2R
- EG SiR
- 350Z
- STi V3

but when I drove my own RX-8 (which is in stock), damn this thing handles as well if not better than those tuned I mentioned above.
Nismo 400R? That is a very powerful and rare car. :adore: Evo 3 and STI V3 are also rare cars. So lucky to have tried these cars before.

Your RX-8 handles better as in what way? Easier to control during corners or responsive or something else?

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
As the matter of fact, I do but mostly stock parts... :)

1) Stock Airtrek air scoop, silver but has a slight paint chip on the edge.
2) A brand new Airtrek Carbon Fiber air scoop. Someone ordered but never collect.
3) Original Oil Filler Cap
4) Ralliart Oil Filler Cap (Replica)
5) Grey HKS Oil Filler Cap (Replica)
6) Original Timing Belt Cover
7) Original Plug Cover
8) Original Airtrek camshafts + valve springs
9) Original Airbox + L-shaped funnel
10) K&N drop in filter (used for 3 years +, wash every 3000km)
11) Original Panasonic 2-Din HU with remote control
12) Original blow-off-valve
13) Perfect working conditioned original aircond compressor without the front pulley set. I had to buy the whole compressor just for the front pulley.
14) Airtrek turbo original grill
Dude, sell me those CF Scoop and pm me the Panasonic player.. Thanks

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Nismo 400R? That is a very powerful and rare car. :adore: Evo 3 and STI V3 are also rare cars. So lucky to have tried these cars before.

Your RX-8 handles better as in what way? Easier to control during corners or responsive or something else?
Yup, the underrated Nismo 400R. It was however not in stock form. Was producing around 600hp mark but I kept stalling it as the clutch has very little clearance between free and engage.

Evo 3 and STi V3 both were lightly tuned around 300hp mark, they were easy to drive and response was a lot better than my laggy Airtrek.

I felt that RX-8 is responsive and 'light' comparing to others. When taking corners at high speed, it feels like the there's a guard rail that holds it to the road. Of course, it may be bias comparison because those which I drove were very little time only.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yup, the underrated Nismo 400R. It was however not in stock form. Was producing around 600hp mark but I kept stalling it as the clutch has very little clearance between free and engage.

Evo 3 and STi V3 both were lightly tuned around 300hp mark, they were easy to drive and response was a lot better than my laggy Airtrek.

I felt that RX-8 is responsive and 'light' comparing to others. When taking corners at high speed, it feels like the there's a guard rail that holds it to the road. Of course, it may be bias comparison because those which I drove were very little time only.
I din't know that the rare 400R can be found in Malaysia. I know it was very limited like only 44 units were manufactured.

Evo 3 and STI V3 responded better is probably due to their MT transmission compared to the AT gearbox in Airtrek?

I think perhaps you are more familiar with RX-8 so you know how it behaves and how to take it through corners. The other cars may require a different approach which you may not be familiar yet during your short test drive. I'm not whether is it true or not but I have watched a video of Best Motoring where there is this EG6 Civic VS RX-8 on touge roads. The EG6 won the battle which surprised me.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
I din't know that the rare 400R can be found in Malaysia. I know it was very limited like only 44 units were manufactured.

Evo 3 and STI V3 responded better is probably due to their MT transmission compared to the AT gearbox in Airtrek?

I think perhaps you are more familiar with RX-8 so you know how it behaves and how to take it through corners. The other cars may require a different approach which you may not be familiar yet during your short test drive. I'm not whether is it true or not but I have watched a video of Best Motoring where there is this EG6 Civic VS RX-8 on touge roads. The EG6 won the battle which surprised me.
I watched quite a number of RX-8 touge battle videos in YouTube. It's too subjective to say one chassis is better than another especially when the car is tuned. I do remembered once in the 90s, I watched a Best Motoring Battle with original factory stock vs. tuned. I was laughing when the stock FTO runs faster and better than the Boss Tuned FTO. So tuning not necessarily makes the car faster...

Yeah, it's the Auto gearbox that robs away not only power but responsiveness too. The Airtrek autobox is good only for traffic jams.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I watched quite a number of RX-8 touge battle videos in YouTube. It's too subjective to say one chassis is better than another especially when the car is tuned. I do remembered once in the 90s, I watched a Best Motoring Battle with original factory stock vs. tuned. I was laughing when the stock FTO runs faster and better than the Boss Tuned FTO. So tuning not necessarily makes the car faster...

Yeah, it's the Auto gearbox that robs away not only power but responsiveness too. The Airtrek autobox is good only for traffic jams.
Maybe the tuned FTO is not tuned for that kind of track condition or something? Weird and funny that a stock one can actually go faster than a tuned one. Not just any random shop tuned ones. For it to appear on best motoring, it must be from some reputable tuner. I also watched before a 1 million and 2 million yen tuned EG6 VS powerful cars like R33 GT-R, JZA80 Supra and FD3S RX-7. The sports cars lost to the EG6 rather badly....

Did your Airtrek autobox suffer from conventional auto symptoms like it takes some time before the engine responded after you floor the throttle? I've only driven automatic once before and it really feels weird to me. It was an Avanza 1.5. Not saying it is underpowered but the response delay after I floor on the throttle feels weird to me. I'm used to the instant response in manual cars.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
No, my Airtrek's gearbox does not have that problem you described.

When I switch to manual, the gear change is slower by half a second. Which means when I hit the + or - sign, it will take a moment before you actually felt it shifted. It's not twin clutch anyway... however, this can easily be solved by tweaking the gearbox setting in ECU map.

I chose not to do that because I do not wanna hamper with the autobox reliability. Honestly, I have no issues for the 7 years of driving.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
No, my Airtrek's gearbox does not have that problem you described.

When I switch to manual, the gear change is slower by half a second. Which means when I hit the + or - sign, it will take a moment before you actually felt it shifted. It's not twin clutch anyway... however, this can easily be solved by tweaking the gearbox setting in ECU map.

I chose not to do that because I do not wanna hamper with the autobox reliability. Honestly, I have no issues for the 7 years of driving.
Switching to manual mode with auto box will affect reliability? I heard some people said that too but why?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So, the manual override command actually shortens the lifespan of the gearbox?
Because if treated like a manual and abused, it goes over it working capability. Auto in manual is still not manual like manual. It just locks in select gear but still using torque converter to run.....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Because if treated like a manual and abused, it goes over it working capability. Auto in manual is still not manual like manual. It just locks in select gear but still using torque converter to run.....:driver:
I need to read more about torque converter. I'm still not familiar with how they operate. I only know it replaces the role of a clutch in AT gearbox.