Intake setup

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

joe_mirage

1,000 RPM
May 7, 2006
rotationperminute.blogspot.com
to all sifus here.... need feedbacks from u guys!
which intake setup is the best in terms of performance.

1)original intake setup + aftermarket drop in airfilter + cold air intake

or

2)open pod air filter + cold air intake + heat shield

actually i'm already with 2nd setup... but some said that in malaysia... which hot weather.. it is advisable to go for 1st setup... since they said that it will give better performance..

hope u guys can give some comment regarding the setup... no flaming ok!

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
1st choice is more for street use... ur engine benefit more from ur standard cold air intake from ur oem airbox...

2nd choice is more towards performance... coz ur engine breathes much easier with open pod air filter... air is not restricted by the intake size of ur airbox....

joe_mirage

1,000 RPM
May 7, 2006
rotationperminute.blogspot.com
oic.. thanx for the infos.. btw i already with the 2nd setup.. just wanna know more since i see a lot of race car at my workshop use ori intake but with staright CAI connected to it and with DIY drop in ( netting only ) ...

maybe can discuss more about it here.. come on fellows of zth!!

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
I've got 2 setup, both using K&N filters.

1- DIY (so-called) drop-in open system. See picture.

2- Typical open-pod air filter. No picture, sorry. But it's the typical open pod system without heat shield setup.

I would just take a rough guess to believe that you're driving a satria/mirage. If I'm not mistaken, this car already has stock CAI, though not directly from the front. The CAI is located somewhere inside the fender. I've not opened up the fender to see how the stock CAI is done.

However, after market CAI, while good in taking outside air directly into the air filter, I've heard of cases where water travelled into the filter as well during wet seasons. When the filter gets wet enough, water starts going into the engine and problems arised later on. So, you may want that too.

I was keen on installing a CAI since most of the kits can be done easily and quickly. But i was also concerned about water getting in since the open end will be located at the bumper. In the end, I opted NOT to install an after market CAI. hahaha

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
oic.. thanx for the infos.. btw i already with the 2nd setup.. just wanna know more since i see a lot of race car at my workshop use ori intake but with staright CAI connected to it and with DIY drop in ( netting only ) ...

maybe can discuss more about it here.. come on fellows of zth!!
yeap... i've seen many workshop mechanics use standard intake setup with customized airbox for better airflow at higher rpm... for example on 4g15 efi engine, they will either drill the bottom part of the airbox to allow more air being sucked in or open up the sides abit.... the amount/size of the holes to drill depends on their preference and setup... not simply tembak one... haha...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It’s time to take a minute and be grateful for all things out of Munich as BMW has shined the production green light on the Vision Efficient Dynamics (VED) concept.

The world first laid eyes on it...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience