help... something wrong wit my pc..

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

menghua84

Known Member
Feb 15, 2004
skudai/ perak
Visit site
ok this is wat happen to my pc... everytime i right click on the desktop screen the pc just hang there.. same situation when i right click on the blank space when i open some folders... understand wat i mean? somethings wrong here... i can't even cut n paste my files now.. any ways to solve this? any program ?

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
get adware and spybot, do a scan throughout your windows...

Seraph

2,000 RPM
Jun 20, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
I think menghua is smart enough to check those before posting here. ;)

Only your right-click menu not poping up or other pop-up windows also not appearing?

Jackie Leong

1,000 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
KL, Malaysia
cooltechz.blogspot.com
a faulty hard disk can cause the computer to hang every now and then.. but usually such happening, just try and spot the noise made by your hard disk.. the "click of death" from the hard disk is scary :mellow:

if it is spywares and trojans that is haunting the pc, it would best to do a clean install of windows cuz using removal tools just don't help much especially if it infects system files and got removed in the process.. (well, my other pc used by my siblings was lagging like mad due to all these, but still managed to get everything back and running without a re-format..)

:)

menghua84

Known Member
Feb 15, 2004
skudai/ perak
Visit site
yup i've checked everything.... used all kind of registry repairer.. still doesn't work.. the right click menu just can't work on desktop n all folders.. but not on files.. stil duno wat happen.. <_< .. i think the registry program just deleted some dll files which is needed for this action...

so any other ways besides reinstalling? just reinstall the sp2 cd can or not? :lol: :lol:

n i'm sure this is not hard disk failure cos if i dun right click on the desktop the pc won hang 1... its something wrong with the explorer.exe.. when hang i just need to open the task manager n end the explorer.exe.. n run it again... then it'll b alrite... but this is not a solution for this~ :(

Jackie Leong

1,000 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
KL, Malaysia
cooltechz.blogspot.com
i guess it's much better to just backup your data and re-install it fresh.. works well of course..

what did you previously do to your computer till this happened?

insufficient information to know what happened le.. could be software or hardware based :unsure:

Seraph

2,000 RPM
Jun 20, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Hmmm...sounds like explorer.exe (not the browser) which runs your GUI is corrupted or missing a few DLL's like you said. If it was Win98 copying the files into the correct folder would be good enough but I'm not exactly sure which files and which folders and if the DLL's needs to be signed into the registry or not.

This might be a long shot but worth a try.

Go search around for websites about alternative-GUI for windows.
On some sites there are tools and utilities for backup and restoring the GUI back to windows default explorer.exe GUI.

Its been sometime since I played around with alternative GUI's, I used Lite/Darkstep for Win98 but stuck to WinXP's original GUI. Can't give you much more help than that at the moment sorry, if I find anything more I'll post here.

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Running on Windows XP right? Well, it is a bug than cause the CPU to go up to 100%.

uss2defiant

Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
u asked bout reinstalling windows only
yes u can do a reinstallation of windows only
dont do a clean installation

Jackie Leong

1,000 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
KL, Malaysia
cooltechz.blogspot.com
Originally posted by Seraph@Dec 14 2004, 18:24
Hmmm...sounds like explorer.exe (not the browser) which runs your GUI is corrupted or missing a few DLL's like you said. If it was Win98 copying the files into the correct folder would be good enough but I'm not exactly sure which files and which folders and if the DLL's needs to be signed into the registry or not.

This might be a long shot but worth a try.

Go search around for websites about alternative-GUI for windows.
On some sites there are tools and utilities for backup and restoring the GUI back to windows default explorer.exe GUI.

Its been sometime since I played around with alternative GUI's, I used Lite/Darkstep for Win98 but stuck to WinXP's original GUI. Can't give you much more help than that at the moment sorry, if I find anything more I'll post here.
if it is Win98 and you suspect it's the system files that are corrupted, you can try to go to

Start > Programs > Accesories > System Tools > System Information

and run the File Check proggy.. which searches for invalid/corrupted/modified system files and replace them with those from the Win98 CD or folder which you copied the whole Win98 CD Contents to..

for WinXP, i'm not sure about it.. never tried re-installation on the same hdd without formatting the whole hdd.. altho i've seen it being done.. (my cousin changed motherboard, but want to keep the hdds data.. so the dealer --> my friend as well.. did the reinstallation and everything was well.. so i guess its possible)

Seraph

2,000 RPM
Jun 20, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Yeap its possible but I think of it as abit of a useless trick.

If you have a 20gb hdd for example. A fresh installation will use up maybe 2-4GB, reinstallation on top will take maybe 1GB eventhough no additional files are installed, crazy huh :huh:

You can use the "R" repair function. Pop-in your WindowsXP CD. Boot from it. You'll have options to repair which essentially will install windowsxp with your current settings intact.

menghua84

Known Member
Feb 15, 2004
skudai/ perak
Visit site
seraph.. u mean after reinstalling its gona take up another 1gb of space is it? OMG.. i nvr notice tat.. last time i did reinstall xp b4.... sure it'll work.. but i dun think that damn explorer.exe worth a gigabyte of space~! hehe... i'll try to solve this prob after my exam tonite.. anymore suggestion?

oh ya my windows is xp.. thanks guys~

Seraph

2,000 RPM
Jun 20, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
reinstalling on top always takes up extra space eventhough its basically the same files on the disk, and i can't find the backups which i suspect was eating up extra space, so i guess its just hdd slack <_<

menghua84

Known Member
Feb 15, 2004
skudai/ perak
Visit site
oh ya.. now i remember.. sometimes after u reinstall the windows xp.. it'll create another user for u.. or mayb back up the previous user.. tat's y it hook up 1gb of space just to back up the user profile n so on...

my prob not yet solve... just had a bad bad morning.. sigh..

ok duno y my problem solved already.. stil dun understand wat happen actually.. mayb xp found the file or watever la.. thanks everyone....

Seraph

2,000 RPM
Jun 20, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Not just XP infact if you reinstall anything, applications and OS (any OS) it will take up more space than it originally did eventhough no extra files were copied, just replaced. I have not have a good explaination for this so I usually think of it as HDD slack. I could be wrong though.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just asking becoz got info of suspicious looking flat bed tow truck carrying evo towards JB.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience