DIY front bonnet louvers

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Hi guys...I'm currently planning a DIY (partly) project to mod my front bonnet..currently using evo4 front bonnet on my wira n s u know d vent for d air filter is on d passenger side instead of driver side..apart from min function it looks kinda funny IMO..

So...I've been doing a lot of searching (d soul n d net) to plan a proper approach (n grow a set of steel balls) to undergo this project (I get only 1 chance at this)...

The initial steps are:
- prepare a template of d louver n measure appropriately to where I'm gonna cut d hood
- DIY or machine shop a pair of aluminium louvers
- DIY or shop to cut d bonnet
- install louvers n wire mesh..
- respray d bonnet

Whether this will work or x I really x know..:) but I have started d measurements n mark on d bonnet where to cut n all...I will take pics of d process to b posted in my FB for all to see..wish me luck guys:)

Ps. Anyone care to help most appreciated..:) hehehe..

Rgrds

Fazid
019-3097725

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Oh ya...anyone knows who or where I can cut my bonnet?i mean it's aluminium so if I'm x mistaken apart from using d conventional grinder etc I can get it done using weld cutting method..tig?mig?im x sure..:)

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Interesting! I'd like to do something like this also for my car. But last time I checked someones car with a custom vent the hood weighed a lot.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Hi guys...I'm currently planning a DIY (partly) project to mod my front bonnet..currently using evo4 front bonnet on my wira n s u know d vent for d air filter is on d passenger side instead of driver side..apart from min function it looks kinda funny IMO..

So...I've been doing a lot of searching (d soul n d net) to plan a proper approach (n grow a set of steel balls) to undergo this project (I get only 1 chance at this)...

The initial steps are:
- prepare a template of d louver n measure appropriately to where I'm gonna cut d hood
- DIY or machine shop a pair of aluminium louvers
- DIY or shop to cut d bonnet
- install louvers n wire mesh..
- respray d bonnet

Whether this will work or x I really x know..:) but I have started d measurements n mark on d bonnet where to cut n all...I will take pics of d process to b posted in my FB for all to see..wish me luck guys:)

Ps. Anyone care to help most appreciated..:) hehehe..

Rgrds

Fazid
019-3097725

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Oh ya...anyone knows who or where I can cut my bonnet?i mean it's aluminium so if I'm x mistaken apart from using d conventional grinder etc I can get it done using weld cutting method..tig?mig?im x sure..:)
tig and mig is for welding...the cutting tools you mention is the oxy cutter. but for home grown DIY kaki like us. OXy cutter is beyong our reach and not very safe to use at home. I would recommend a grinder with a good cut off wheel or a DREMEL.

To get good clean cut, you can try buying some big fat masking tape and tape along the area you gonna cut and make all your markings on the masking tape. Hope this helps.

BTW, if you can get a 2nd hood for a very low price I suggest you can get it...well just in case...

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
tig and mig is for welding...the cutting tools you mention is the oxy cutter. but for home grown DIY kaki like us. OXy cutter is beyong our reach and not very safe to use at home. I would recommend a grinder with a good cut off wheel or a DREMEL.

To get good clean cut, you can try buying some big fat masking tape and tape along the area you gonna cut and make all your markings on the masking tape. Hope this helps.

BTW, if you can get a 2nd hood for a very low price I suggest you can get it...well just in case...
Thanx bro TR...d sifu has spoken!! Yeah bro I cld get another hood but I wanna try to cut costs however I can...besides nothing beats a good challenge DIY rite..full 110% satisfaction if it turns out good..if x...well Wat can I say:)

N if does turn out good I can add that repertoire to my painting biz eh..

Oh well wish me luck guys..time to go look for a Dremel to start out my project..

Rgrds

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Interesting! I'd like to do something like this also for my car. But last time I checked someones car with a custom vent the hood weighed a lot.
Yeah mybe bro izso..but mine wld b a simple one..x complicated fiber vents n whatnot..just a simple (or x so simple...) cut n aluminium louvers...

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
so u plan on making holes above ur air filter? r u using open pod?

if u are... id abandon it.. there has been cases of hydrolock due to ventilation above the open pod and driving in the rain.... a simple CAI hose would be better

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003

if u are... id abandon it.. there has been cases of hydrolock due to ventilation above the open pod and driving in the rain.... a simple CAI hose would be better
Bro I'm hoping my DIY wld turn out good...my idea is to make it like those ori evo vents..I bet x so much (if any) water (or else d ori ones wld have failed)..anyways purpose of undertaking this project is coz I'm using evo4 hood where d vent is on d passenger side...looks funny to me so I'm just making another one on d driver side:)...so basically I'll have 2 vents aka louvers..mean look??i donno..nice?maybe..had a rough sketch of it n it looks better that's for sure..

Well only way to find out is wait for d end result...*fingers crossed*...

N as for my open pod?ive made n aluminium air box ready to fit once d hood is done:)

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
i dont wanna to sound discouraging, but modifying a standard bonnet to vented bonnet is illegal....
Of course, in Malaysia everything is legal until you get caught...

JPJ can kacau your car with modded bonnet, if they are "hungry for kopi"....

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
i dont wanna to sound discouraging, but modifying a standard bonnet to vented bonnet is illegal....
Of course, in Malaysia everything is legal until you get caught...

JPJ can kacau your car with modded bonnet, if they are "hungry for kopi"....
I understand bro ken...but then again d original bonnet is oredi vented (ori evo4 bonnet)...:)

yewly1990

Known Member
Aug 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

Izzit?? I was planning to do this to my car too, I was using open pod right now.
Which I can`t see a way to get cool air, CAI hose are can`t fit into the engine bay.
I received an idea, which getting a scoop in bonnet to let airs goes in the engine bay, or let the engine bays hot airs goes out.
I was worried about the water problems also :confused: Some says the bodykit shop could settle water problems with proper design bonnet.:confused:

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Izzit?? I was planning to do this to my car too, I was using open pod right now.
Which I can`t see a way to get cool air, CAI hose are can`t fit into the engine bay.
I received an idea, which getting a scoop in bonnet to let airs goes in the engine bay, or let the engine bays hot airs goes out.
I was worried about the water problems also :confused: Some says the bodykit shop could settle water problems with proper design bonnet.:confused:
That's where d louvers come into play bro...:)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Good evening,

this golf i coated a month ago, and finally have the time to blog. previously this car owned by a lady owner who use to pick up her child from school, mileage only runs about 26k in 3 years. basically this car can say is still new but still i found alot of defects on it. the interior, dashboard and leather seats also found very oily meanwhile the exterior full of swirls and water spots. whole process will took me quite some time to get it done, let the pictures do the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience