2.2L crank on VR4 block

spuzzle

500 RPM
Hi all,

I plan to get a 2.2L crank ( 7 bolt ) to fit into my VR4 block with stock VR4 conrod and 86mm forge / 1-2JZ pistons. What do I need to do to install this crank? Is there a lot of work or can easily fit into it? Thanks in advance for all your opinions

or any other recommended stroker and pistons?

my current setup:
-racing cam and valve springs / evo head
-fp GREEN turbo + custom banana
-stock vr4 block and internals
-e6x ems
-evo 3 intercooler
-560cc injectors
-evo wirings
-ssqv/sard regulator/walbro/tial 38mm wastegate

Last edited:
Hi all,

I plan to get a 2.2L crank ( 7 bolt ) to fit into my VR4 block with stock VR4 conrod and 86mm forge / 1-2JZ pistons. What do I need to do to install this crank? Is there a lot of work or can easily fit into it? Thanks in advance for all your opinions

cant use 1jz piston
u need stroker pistons
let propiping , kroolada and goo goo come n let u know the anwser

The stroke will increase by 4mm (92-88) and 1jz piston normally lower by 1-3mm from top of the block depend on how you machine the std. con-rod, so it can be use. About putting the 2.2l crank inside the vr4 block it can be done but i never have on hand experience on it.. Sell the vr4 block and get an evo block.. VR4 block should be put on display in museum already.

Another option is sell to me the block, VR4 rotating assembly is heavy as compare to evo:slug:

The stroke will increase by 4mm (92-88) and 1jz piston normally lower by 1-3mm from top of the block depend on how you machine the std. con-rod, so it can be use. About putting the 2.2l crank inside the vr4 block it can be done but i never have on hand experience on it.. Sell the vr4 block and get an evo block.. VR4 block should be put on display in museum already.

Another option is sell to me the block, VR4 rotating assembly is heavy as compare to evo:slug:

Jo, which part have to be machined? top of pistons?
Dont laugh at my vr4 block.....another few years later only i donate it to musuem for displays....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

No need to mood the piston, just the small end of the con-rod need machining and copper bushing inserted. For the 2.2l crank to be install to VR4 block i don't how to do it. Normally, evo block is used for this kind of modification.

Why you need a stroker? the FP red turbo don't need stroker engine to spool..

i also suggest evo block if u want to do 2.2L
wht i heard is that, machining the 2.2L crank to fit the vr4 block itself will cost 1k++
there is one user who is running 2.2L vr4 here, bt i dnt want to reveal his name, maybe its his secret

No need to mood the piston, just the small end of the con-rod need machining and copper bushing inserted. For the 2.2l crank to be install to VR4 block i don't how to do it. Normally, evo block is used for this kind of modification.

Why you need a stroker? the FP red turbo don't need stroker engine to spool..

ic....mod the end of the crank....thanks jo
plan to get more torque and will change to bigger turbos....current torque only 40kg-m
getting more greedy after riding a fren 488whp/56kg-m engine with 2.4 stroker and vg piston

i also suggest evo block if u want to do 2.2L
wht i heard is that, machining the 2.2L crank to fit the vr4 block itself will cost 1k++
there is one user who is running 2.2L vr4 here, bt i dnt want to reveal his name, maybe its his secret

bro jin, that owner ur fren ka....hehehe
if change to evo engine can register? or malaysia boleh type (punch on new numbers):rofl::rofl:

ic....mod the end of the crank....thanks jo
plan to get more torque and will change to bigger turbos....current torque only 40kg-m
getting more greedy after riding a fren 488whp/56kg-m engine with 2.4 stroker and vg piston

bro jin, that owner ur fren ka....hehehe
if change to evo engine can register? or malaysia boleh type (punch on new numbers):rofl::rofl:

not the end of the crank... the small end of the rod.

Why don't you rebuild the VR4 with forged part and running higher boost to get more torque. It just need a minimal modification more over your current turbo will support more than your target hp.

Last edited:
hahahah well bro like how others said...get a evo block...hassel free and much stronger...
anyway if u want to do ya vr4 block it can be done....u chose which 1 u want...between yeah as i suggested u earlier is to use vg piston if ur in tight budget..if not use stroker forged pistons

not the end of the crank... the small end of the rod.

Why don't you rebuild the VR4 with forged part and running higher boost to get more torque. It just need a minimal modification more over your current turbo will support more than your target hp.
jo, what if i change to 1jz pistons, vr4 conrod and vr4 lighten&balance crank? good for 500whp?

hahahah well bro like how others said...get a evo block...hassel free and much stronger...
anyway if u want to do ya vr4 block it can be done....u chose which 1 u want...between yeah as i suggested u earlier is to use vg piston if ur in tight budget..if not use stroker forged pistons
change to evo block cost me a lot...if vg pistons 87mm no chance to rebore again

indeed it can be done..
provided that u're willing to pull out the machining cost just to make sure the crankshalf PLUS the vr4's conrod to be fitted in your vr4's block..
please bare in mind..the cost to do the machining on the crankshaft itself is around RM 1k++ excluded the process to modify the vr4 conrod to be fitted in

yup..the best way is to use the newer evo's block considering the similarity between the 4D68 crankshaft and evo.
low budget application will use the selection from nissan's oem piston (VG30,sr20) or ijz/2jz pistons as it's lower by 3mm after your stroke increased to 94mm already.

but do remember..due to changes of compression and other related area..bigger upgrade is needed i.e bigger injector,bigger turbo etc..

happy modding.:biggrin:

jo, what if i change to 1jz pistons, vr4 conrod and vr4 lighten&balance crank? good for 500whp?

The vr4 std block is good for 500whp but it better to change the piston and con-rod stud since it is the weakest link in VR4 block.

Using other car piston source from kedai potong is the thing of the past... now days there a lot of people/shop selling forged pistons like wiseco, je, ross and etc.

As for the lighten crank, if your car is mean for track/drag only it will be ok since you will done an inspection after every race/drag. For DD it is not advisable.

indeed it can be done..
provided that u're willing to pull out the machining cost just to make sure the crankshalf PLUS the vr4's conrod to be fitted in your vr4's block..
please bare in mind..the cost to do the machining on the crankshaft itself is around RM 1k++ excluded the process to modify the vr4 conrod to be fitted in

yup..the best way is to use the newer evo's block considering the similarity between the 4D68 crankshaft and evo.
low budget application will use the selection from nissan's oem piston (VG30,sr20) or ijz/2jz pistons as it's lower by 3mm after your stroke increased to 94mm already.

but do remember..due to changes of compression and other related area..bigger upgrade is needed i.e bigger injector,bigger turbo etc..

happy modding.:biggrin:

The vr4 std block is good for 500whp but it better to change the piston and con-rod stud since it is the weakest link in VR4 block.

Using other car piston source from kedai potong is the thing of the past... now days there a lot of people/shop selling forged pistons like wiseco, je, ross and etc.

As for the lighten crank, if your car is mean for track/drag only it will be ok since you will done an inspection after every race/drag. For DD it is not advisable.

seems that the machining part very costly.....might consider an evo block....evo 1-3 block all same or which is better....how to built a 500hp evo block....never knew that lighten crank so troublesome, my car for fun driving and drag once in a while

can't really advise on which series of evo's have a better block's durability..
that's why many people claims that VR4's have a better tolerance when it comes to oversizing its pistons..

yet i'd seen many people nowadays install a max 87.5mm oem pajero's pistons into their evo 1/2/3 block!!

fact is..we have so many aftermarket items to source for betta piece of mind
i think this basic principal goes to regardless whether you're usin strokers or not..
the choice is depend on your budgetary preference

buy 2.4 crank 6 bolt.use stock rod and wiseco piston.cost about RM4500

is rm4500 inclusive of crank ? hehehe

Bump:
can't really advise on which series of evo's have a better block's durability..
that's why many people claims that VR4's have a better tolerance when it comes to oversizing its pistons..

yet i'd seen many people nowadays install a max 87.5mm oem pajero's pistons into their evo 1/2/3 block!!

fact is..we have so many aftermarket items to source for betta piece of mind
i think this basic principal goes to regardless whether you're usin strokers or not..
the choice is depend on your budgetary preference

hoi, this english too high level, stage 3 :P

haha..
sorry jin..

btw it's a "peace of mind":banghead: (sorry for typo error)..huhu

yopo english damn good man....maybe need to ask him on how to improve english rather than how to built a machine:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

please don't say so..
our main purpose here is to share knowledge between each other..heheh

later..if u eva managed to install this stroker kit by using what i called as "recycled" items=68's crankshaft+evo/vr4's conrod+VG30/1/2jz pistons, please take an extra precaution to your rev limitation..:listen:

those above mentioned are not apllicable to a "bullet-proof" engine like mr goo_goo:nurse:

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom