When to change disc rotor?

HaziqRais

Known Member
May 4, 2011
Kelantan
I was wondering when should i change my disc rotors? Does it count by mileage or by looking at the disc? I dont know how to check it. My mileage is about 132,000 km and never changed disc rotors before.

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Can you post the close up photo of your rotor disc?

I changed mine at 750,000km only the rear disc rotor...

Because the disc had become thinner, about 3mm thinner than ori

There again its not the mileage nor its the time used, its the thickness of the disc that matters...

Using low quality brake pads may also result in the disc rotor becomes thinner faster....:listen:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Disc should last very long if use proper pads. Most problem is unevenness/warping which causes vibration but you can still skim it. Only if it already becomes too thin then have to replace. FYI, of all cars that I've used (that's more than 20 years of owning various cars), I've never changed any discs before! Only done so once for my dad's 1988 Accord which was bought new so can claim under warranty.

Last edited:

HaziqRais

Known Member
May 4, 2011
Kelantan
I thought skimming the discs would have risks in the future? Better off to just replace the whole thing.
Whats the normal thickness of the discs? Ill measure it and see if its thinner.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I thought skimming the discs would have risks in the future? Better off to just replace the whole thing.
Whats the normal thickness of the discs? Ill measure it and see if its thinner.
Not really, skimming normally can still be done for a few times. All my cars previous used cars had been skimmed before at least twice and still fine even until I sold them.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Generally speaking, rotors have a outer metal rim around it that doesn't get worn together with the inner bits. If you start to see a thick gap between the outer 'rim' and the center, it's time for a change. Don't go by mileage, just go from visual inspection. I've seen paper thin rotors that are cracked because too thin and if yours is like that, you're an extreme braker!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Disc Rotors, ya not recommended to skim, Once maybe can be accepted. But always best to replaced it.
Just so you know, if you send back to SC to service, they usually will skim like twice for you only replace.

So call warranty huh? :biggrin:

My next service, I wonder they will change my Drum Brakes for me then. Since always got noises for the past 3 services, keep
telling me Drum brakes are like that after awhile when the brake dust trapped in too much, will have noise. All cars with drums she
said.

I don't find my kelisa having such a problem...:stupid:

HaziqRais

Known Member
May 4, 2011
Kelantan
So skimming it will get it back to its original function? How much would it cost?
Btw, i notice my discs looks rusty after leaving it under a heavy rain. Any effects?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
So skimming it will get it back to its original function? How much would it cost?
Btw, i notice my discs looks rusty after leaving it under a heavy rain. Any effects?
Can say safe to use but not recommended to skim too much. Is not gonna be expensive.
1 of the cheapest way to extend the lifespan of the disc.

Which is why most SC they will just skim for you. Save cost ma even though is under warranty.
They will try to delay until really cannot only change for you. Unless you insist on changing it
and try to convince them la :rofl:

Rusty is normal if your car is stationery for some time, but if just only during the rain not sure.
Cuz when u start driving awhile, u will notice the rust spots are no longer on the
disc brakes surface.

HaziqRais

Known Member
May 4, 2011
Kelantan
If so, then ill just skim it once if i need to. Then maybe just change the discs.
Anyone ever used the standard Brembo discs? Any difference with stock?
And the pro-rs brake hose? Want to improve my braking.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
If so, then ill just skim it once if i need to. Then maybe just change the discs.
Skim once, should be fine.

No experience in Normal Brembo Discs, but Pro-Rs braided hose, it does improve your braking
responds and also is better as it has longer lifespan than your stock rubber ones. Pro-RS
steel braided hose at least wont get spoil that easily. Realised the difference after getting one
installed. Highly recommend :top:

You can do some reading on their product 1st though. Another one will be Good Ridge Steel Braided
Hose, but then is more costly then Pro-Rs brand if not wrong. Still, Pro-Rs is good enough though...

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Skimming will depend on the condition of your disc. If new and warp and have vibration, they can skim.
If worn quite deep then better to change rather then skim. It is difficult for you to measure, because you have to measure the thinnest part. When doing skimming it has to be completely flat, therefore the measurement must be at the lowest part.
It depends whether you need to remove to skim or skim on board, means they use the engine to turn the disc to skim. Last I know on board is around RM45 per set.

Disc are made of cast iron therefore they rust easily. Overnight rust on the disc, once you drive your car the brake pads will remove the rust on the contact area...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I think the taikos have responded to your inquiries. But I wanna fill it in a bit :

1. Skimming is to ensure the rotor is flat. If it's uneven or wavey then you'll have braking vibration problems.

2. It costs about RM60 per side, if you know someone maybe RM40 per side. Always skim two sides at a time imho. Even wear and tear.

3. Rusty looking rotors is because the rotors are made of steel. Drive it a bit and the pads will scrub off the rust and it'll be nice and clean looking again. Only want to avoid rust is to opt for carbon ceramic rotors.. but you won't like how much they cost and usually don't come in any smaller than 17" size.

4. Brembo is a brand. It determines the quality and the price of the product you buy. Not all brands out there are bad and not all brands are good. You need to survey a bit to find the right one for you ($ and quality).

5. You can only get a performance rotor or a standard rotor. Branding doesn't make a difference other than design and quality. Performance rotors usually are cross drilled / slotted to reduce brake fade, they don't make you brake harder and faster, they just help you brake more efficiently. Performance rotors usually come with 'performance sound'... wooong woooooong woooooong... :biggrin: But it's not a irritating sound.

6. Steel braided hoses allow for a better brake pedal feel. Rubber hoses when new are stiff and hardly expand. Once worn, they tend to expand giving you a very spongy pedal feel or you need to press harder to get any braking feel. Steel braided hoses need to be well designed, installed and kept clean often otherwise they can get damaged and leak brake fluid. You don't want your brakes to fail. The famous brands are Pro-RS, Improve, BFGoodridge, Superstreet and the more famously expensive brands like Brembo, Endless, Wilwood, etc.

Good luck dude

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi everybody
i want to ask, how to have loud exhaust sound?
i driving stock gsr turbo
the kind of loud noise i want, can hear from a few km away
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience