Myvi 1.5 rim change suggestion

aranny2001

Known Member
Jun 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
guys, im thinking of changing the rim for my 1.5 myvi... current stock rim 14" seem bit small... im targeting to make my car front 2 finger gap, rear 3 finger gap... but before i decided to change the rim, i think it's better for me to change to a lowering spring, eibach... by using eibach, which size of rim should i put to make my ideal finger gap between the tire and fender? is 195/50/R16 gonna make huge changes in fc and acceleration? i wish the new rim gonna make it look flush from the fender and the wheel side... :adore::hmmmm:

aranny2001

Known Member
Jun 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Do you mean 195/50/R15 cos 195/50/R16 the choices of tyres are very very limited.
no, i mean 195/50/R16.. cause thought of 195 surface contact not wide as 205 thus will not affect much on the FC :hmmmm: it is R16 really make huge fc different from stock? what if the R16 rim got almost same weight as the stock R14 rim, will it still affect the fc? thx:adore:

cfa

Jun 15, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Your original size should be 175/65/14. Hence, when you upsize, the ideal sizes are as follows:

185/55/15 - diameter difference is 0.27% bigger

Some ppl say that 185 does not give enough control, hence, they prefer wider tyre. Hence, the upsizes are:

195/55/15 - diameter difference is 2.1% bigger
195/50/15 - diameter difference is 1.23% smaller

With 55 series, you get more comfort but 50 series gives you even more precise steering control and feedback but ride will be bumpy. Both these tyre choices are plenty, esp for performance series like Michelin PS3, Goodyear GD5, Hankook V12, etc

Now, your choice of 195/50/16 means that the diameter is 3.05% bigger and most websites will advice to keep to the 3% rule. Also, there are not many choices of tyres available and also, 50 series may be a bit bumpy compared to your current 65 series and using 16' rims will definitely increase your FC due to heavier rims, unless you use light weight rims which may cost a bomb.

My personal suggestion is the 185/55/15 as you can get performance tyre like Michelin PS3 but of course 195/55/15 means a wider selection. Lets wait for the Master VR to add on.

Last edited:

aranny2001

Known Member
Jun 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Your original size should be 175/65/14. Hence, when you upsize, the ideal sizes are as follows:

Some ppl say that 185 does not give enough control, hence, they prefer wider tyre. Hence, the upsizes are:

With 55 series, you get more comfort but 50 series gives you even more precise steering control and feedback but ride will be bumpy. Both these tyre choices are plenty, esp for performance series like Michelin PS3, Goodyear GD5, Hankook V12, etc

Now, your choice of 195/50/16 means that the diameter is 3.05% bigger and most websites will advice to keep to the 3% rule. Also, there are not many choices of tyres available and also, 50 series may be a bit bumpy compared to your current 65 series and using 16' rims will definitely increase your FC due to heavier rims, unless you use light weight rims which may cost a bomb.

My personal suggestion is the 185/55/15 as you can get performance tyre like Michelin PS3 but of course 195/55/15 means a wider selection. Lets wait for the Master VR to add on.
wow..... i learn so much from you:adore:... thx bro... im not really pro about wheels.. but im expecting for 2~3 finger gap to each wheel... some more R15 not much nice looking design right? i love the type of rim which their spoke is curve outward:rofl:.. any suggestion? my car is white color, so i prefer matte black or full black color of rims... :burnout: would like to hear from your opinions:burnout:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I second the above suggestion, 15 inch is already the best for such small low powered city car.
As for the fender gap, it depends on the overall diameter and how low your replacement sport springs will be and I STRONGLY suggest you to change the spring first before you buy wheels! Because many people do the opposite and end up with the wheels actually cannot fit nicely after the car has been lowered (tires rubbing fenders).
If you insist to use 16, then you need to use very thin profile tires like 195/45 to maintain roughly the same diameter and you will sacrifice comfort A LOT! If you use thicker profiles, your diameter will increase too much which cause your car to be slower, more fuel thirsty, and brakes longer/farther too! If you don;t want all those negatives but still want to use big wheels, then I'd ask how much are you willing to spend?? Cuz big lightweight wheels are expensive!
About the look, if you ask me 15 will look better on a Myvi than bigger ones! Because it matches the proportion of the car. There are tons of good looking 15s out there.

Last edited:

aranny2001

Known Member
Jun 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I second the above suggestion, 15 inch is already the best for such small low powered city car.
As for the fender gap, it depends on the overall diameter and how low your replacement sport springs will be and I STRONGLY suggest you to change the spring first before you buy wheels! Because many people do the opposite and end up with the wheels actually cannot fit nicely after the car has been lowered (tires rubbing fenders).
If you insist to use 16, then you need to use very thin profile tires like 195/45 to maintain roughly the same diameter and you will sacrifice comfort A LOT! If you use thicker profiles, your diameter will increase too much which cause your car to be slower, more fuel thirsty, and brakes longer/farther too! If you don;t want all those negatives but still want to use big wheels, then I'd ask how much are you willing to spend?? Cuz big lightweight wheels are expensive!
About the look, if you ask me 15 will look better on a Myvi than bigger ones! Because it matches the proportion of the car. There are tons of good looking 15s out there.
hahaha... really good advise from you... nice info and i really appreciate it... what make me think of 16" because it seems more design and i like those rims that curve outward... lol..:rofl:... but how come some car like CRZ or the new city they ori manufacturer will make it 16"?:hmmmm:... 195 in R16 i think will be very hard to find, most common are the 205/45, will this kind of measurement gonna drink alots of fuel? any nice rim suggestion on the 15"? i like those spoke that curve outward and black in color... which offset can make the wheels flush with my fender?:hmmmm::adore:

MingFai

Known Member
Apr 18, 2010
P.J Jln Gasing
195/50/15 is the best for myvi...
2 and the half finger is better... coz if 2 finger lowerd most of those kampung bump u kena...
max u can put in myvi is 16" but heavy
sizn max is 205/50/15 or 205/45/16

aranny2001

Known Member
Jun 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
195/50/15 is the best for myvi...
2 and the half finger is better... coz if 2 finger lowerd most of those kampung bump u kena...
max u can put in myvi is 16" but heavy
sizn max is 205/50/15 or 205/45/16
2.5 finger gap also no problem... hehehe.... but then i wish to get nice rim that spoke curve outward... and also im expecting the rim offset which able to make the side of the wheel flush ngam ngam with the fender for this new myvi... so which rim got outward spoke , offset flush ngam ngam with fender in 15"? advan RZ? SSR type F?:hmmmm: :adore:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

You are doing okay and no need to call Master leh...... Unker can.....ha! ha!

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

2.5 finger gap also no problem... hehehe.... but then i wish to get nice rim that spoke curve outward... and also im expecting the rim offset which able to make the side of the wheel flush ngam ngam with the fender for this new myvi... so which rim got outward spoke , offset flush ngam ngam with fender in 15"? advan RZ? SSR type F?:hmmmm: :adore:
Whether 2 or 2.5 fingers, work that out with the springs or suspension not the tyre size. If springs alone that would not be possible as it cannot be adjusted. Tyre size try to be as close as possible to original size tyre diameter. Have wider tyres is one thing, having a bigger diameter will take a lot of your pick up power.
If you do not want the tyres to scrap the fender in 15" try getting offset 40 rims. I remember many complain of this with offset 38 rims with full load.
Of course in 16" will look better but ride will suffer. Tyre will be 205/45R16. Even better looks I have seen a few are on 205/40R17....... :driver:

faruck

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2011
selangor
if u want ur car to look just nice,use 15inch..tyre 195/50/r15..after u use the sport spring u will get 2 gap(jari boleh masuk)....its nice n but not awesome

but if u ur car to look awesome just put 17 inch laa bro..a lot more nicer..205/40/r17..confirm no sangkut2..been there done that..bout the FC not much difference laa bro unless u change the exhaust system or the intake system..

to me i prefer 17inch..guarantee hooo liaoo...ladies outhere likes it too :proud:

faruck

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2011
selangor
true..but u lose some,gain some lahh bro:listen:

cfa

Jun 15, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
aranny, having just 2 or 3 finger gap may look very cool but do consider whether your current springs are strong enough to support a full load. You may only be driving solo or at the most, with your partner, but if you need to fetch your parents / in-laws, etc, the tyres may rub against your fenders / undercarriage, esp if going over bumps / basement carpark.

This is from my personal experience. Else, you will need 'stronger / stiffer' springs but not lowered springs. Lowered springs look cool but totally changes your ride characteristics. Unless you are prepared for it, don't change to lowered springs. Also, my personal opinion is that if you ever do change your springs, DO NOT trade in your old springs. Keep them cos you never know when you'll need them again.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The go-kart circuit at the Sepang International Circuit (SIC) was recently refurbished and has been relaunched together with a new operator in charge that will now co-manage the go-kart circuit with SIC.

Designed by renowned Formula One track designer Hermann Tilke, the man responsible for the layout of SIC’s main track as well as other tracks on the Formula One calendar, the go-kart track is 1.247km long...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience