Is it not safe to change tyre like this...

richardtan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
Dear Sifu's,

I have a just over 3 year-old car. Never changed a tyre before due to low utilization.

Now, the front tyres are going bald soon and I need to change.

For budget reason, I want to use the unused spare tyre that came with the car purchase.
But its 3 years old. I also intend to delay changing the rear tyres since they are still in working shape (enough treads left). Will change later down the road.

My doubt is whether it is ok to :

1. replace the front tyres with the unused one in the trunk (stock) and a same model one from tyre shop. The one to be bought will be very new rubber though same model as trunk one.

2. balance the rear wheels only by swapping left to right and vice versa.

Is this arrangement not recommended and unsafe?

Would the rims be the same when i buy a new tyre? Does a tyre come with the rims? (as you clearly can see, I am a greenhorn :stupid:). Assuming it does comes with the rims, what happens if the rim looks different than the existing ones? :hmmmm:

I have read that tyres can last 5 years on the shelf. And my friend says using the spare tyre with a new one will not be any issue as its as good as new (even though its being baked in the trunk in the day for 3 years). But I also read to use only newly or recently manufactured car tyres. That people would try not to buy 2 year old 'new' tyres.

Hope to get some hints for my doubts. :adore:

Cheers.

Richard Tan

Last edited:

angrysnail

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2009
Petaling Jaya
wordlinx.com
Dear Sifu's,

I have a just over 3 year-old car. Never changed a tyre before due to low utilization.

Now, the front tyres are going bald soon and I need to change.

For budget reason, I want to use the unused spare tyre that came with the car purchase.
But its 3 years old. I also intend to delay changing the rear tyres since they are still in working shape (enough treads left). Will change later down the road.

My doubt is whether it is ok to :

1. replace the front tyres with the unused one in the trunk (stock) and a same model one from tyre shop. The one to be bought will be very new rubber though same model as trunk one.

2. balance the rear wheels only by swapping left to right and vice versa.

Is this arrangement not recommended and unsafe?

Would the rims be the same when i buy a new tyre? Does a tyre come with the rims? (as you clearly can see, I am a greenhorn :stupid:). Assuming it does comes with the rims, what happens if the rim looks different than the existing ones? :hmmmm:

I have read that tyres can last 5 years on the shelf. And my friend says using the spare tyre with a new one will not be any issue as its as good as new (even though its being baked in the trunk in the day for 3 years). But I also read to use only newly or recently manufactured car tyres. That people would try not to buy 2 year old 'new' tyres.

Hope to get some hints for my doubts. :adore:

Cheers.

Richard Tan
I do prefer u change a new tyre instead of using spare tyre some more its already 3 years..in the automotive book i read,its recommended to change tyre when its already near to TWI(tread wear indicator) which u can see on ur tyre tread(between a block and at a side(triangle))..

for using the tyre that more than 3 years start from its produce even its new also also not recommended coz the engineers believe its already lost it durability to check this u can check at your tyre(side) its mould the manufacturing date e.g 0304.

03- weeks
04-2004

means MFD in third week in 2004..

Yes,u can just buy a tyre but first u need to know what size of your rims,u can check this also on your tyre..
e.g 205/45/R 16

205-width of your tyre in mm
45-radius which means 45% from 205(indicates ur tyre tebal or nipis=tyre sotong)
R-radial contruction(most of us using this already)
16-your rims in inch(16 inch)

tyre is the most important think that u should know mate..
hope my explaination will give u some idea to make ur decision more precise..
gudluck!:burnout:

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
3 year usage of tyre is quite good enough.. its time for a new set already... if you are on budget.. replace a pair 1st.. even if your tyres is full of tread n your car hasnt been running often... tyres lifespan would not last and perform as good after 3 years...

Bump: 3 year usage of tyre is quite good enough.. its time for a new set already... if you are on budget.. replace a pair 1st.. even if your tyres is full of tread n your car hasnt been running often... tyres lifespan would not last and perform as good after 3 years...

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
i would use the spare tyres now cos if not used now, it'll crack n will never be able to be used ever.

tth tyre

500 RPM
Jun 5, 2007
Puchong
tyre can always to use as long as no problem (crack,pregnant,korek..)Make sure the condition of the tyre is original.Make sure at least 1.5mm above for thread...
Michelin say on 6/June 2009 Nanyang Newpaper : tyre must change only after 10years from date of manufacturing.:wavey:

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
when u buy new tires you wont get new rims along with it....

you can always change rims if you want...but its not compulsory

richardtan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
Hi Friends,

Really a big thanks to all of you for your kind advice.:adore:
I just got the front tyres changed and am very happy that i did :driver: I am using it before it gets even older, as advised. Later on, with some budget, I may buy better tyres and swap with the front ones (front wheel drive).

What a great feeling with new tyres :burnout:

I only bought 1 new Goodyear tyre same spec (175/65 R14 NCT 5) as my spare tyre that came with the car. This new tyre was manufactured locally in Malaysia. So, I now have a set of new tyres in the front, one made in Thailand , the other in Malaysia.

Should not be much problem right? Are the rubber different ?

Okay, thanks again.

Have a nice day one and all.

Best Regards
Richard Tan

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I've been collecting cars on and off for the past 30 years.
My son in Dallas just told me about his friend who is selling a 1980 Mustang V6.
I am quite interested in making the purchase and getting my shipping company, United Routes to do the job they do so well and bring me my car to me here in Baltimore.
However, I have an uneasy feeling about this. As such I'd like some prepurchase inspector or someone of the sort to go and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience