imitation rims - are they really not reliable at all?

yn_hell

Known Member
Jul 27, 2005
Petaling Jaya
japan rims will always be expensive, hence our market is flooded with imitation from taiwan and other countries. they build quality will never be as good as japan made rims.

the question is, how bad are they really? did anyone have very bad experience that causes huge damage? are they even suitable to use for track day or autocross?

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
japan rims will always be expensive, hence our market is flooded with imitation from taiwan and other countries. they build quality will never be as good as japan made rims.

the question is, how bad are they really? did anyone have very bad experience that causes huge damage? are they even suitable to use for track day or autocross?
I have been using replica Spoon SW388 on my EG6 which I have sold, and then another set on my EG9. The replica on my EG6 is a no-brand Taiwan imitation, the one on my EG9 is made by K-Speed. Tracked at Sepang.

No problem balancing the wheels, no problem on track.

Now looking at another set of imitation SW388s made by Konig with 7.5" width and +32 offset.

If I were to limit my choice to only Japan-made wheels, I need to be V-E-R-Y lucky in order to find 7.5" width with +32 offset. After luck, I need to find RM3k-4k in cash.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Unless you mean imitation, then those are fake rims having the branded brand on them, then those cannot be used.
If you mean Taiwan company rims, then why not...

yn_hell

Known Member
Jul 27, 2005
Petaling Jaya
yes as i mentioned, imitation from taiwan, we know it bends easily. but how bad it is?
will it all patah suddenly when u hit the hole? or suddenly all 4 wheels fly out? lol:biggrin:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yes as i mentioned, imitation from taiwan, we know it bends easily. but how bad it is?
will it all patah suddenly when u hit the hole? or suddenly all 4 wheels fly out? lol:biggrin:
Buy Taiwan branded not imitation.....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I don't think they should be classified as "imitation" since they are just copying the designs and not claiming the same claims as the original. Is the Wira an imitation of the old Lancer? Is the Inspira an imitation of the newer Lancer? They are just copies with their own unique features (yes.. the Inspira is actually different than the Lancer in a few ways).

So if you ask are Taiwan made rims reliable? Depends on company. Advanti makes pretty awesome rims

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Advanti isn't a "copy-cat" per se. After all they make wheels for F1 teams, and they are "adik" OZ Wheels. Plus their parent company manufactures certain models of Enkei wheels.

They are the absolute best choice in the affordable range. Better than buying outright imitation.

As for your example izso, it doesn't apply here. The Wira is a licensed model from Mitsubishi of the old Lancer, likewise, the Inspira is a licensed badge engineered model of the new Lancer. Proton pays Mitsubishi to use it. You think K-Speed or other Taiwan company pays the Japan or Italian counterparts they copy? My ass.

With assholes who keep buying fakes, and when the original manufacturer closes down because nobody buys their shit and everybody buys the fakes, and K-Speed and other boys have nothing left to copy, you're all fucked, and you fucked those paying for the real deal as well. HKS exited the USA market because the amount of fakes were crazy. And when the fake SSQVs fail, they blame the real HKS.

yn_hell

Known Member
Jul 27, 2005
Petaling Jaya
guys i am asking about imitation rims (fake brand rims).... advanti doesnt do imitation rims...

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
guys i am asking about imitation rims (fake brand rims).... advanti doesnt do imitation rims...
To answer your question.

1. Who manufactured the rims?
2. Did it pass ANY official testing or did it imitate the official testing?
3. If it DID NOT PASS, then it is NOT SAFE, PERIOD. Saying you successfully used it X amount of years is inconclusive any just 1 case. Testing is about large pool of measurable and comparable data.
4. It it pass, then it is safe -- as tested by the testing body.

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
Tracked a replica te37 17". No problem.. Hit a curb in ikea parking lot. Also no problem.. So far so good. If it bends, just buy another one haha. Cheap n workable. Don't get those china ones.. Try to get Taiwan made ones for better material quality. These days replica rims kinda light too. For example ssr type F replica. Really lightweight.

If u want to use ori, recommend to get from half cut. Sometimes can get super good deals, close to replica price if u lucky. Just refurbished them and it will look like new.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I've used Taiwan rims before for many2 years in Jakarta where the road conditions is MUCH worse than here but they're all survived fine! Their fit & finish quality and weight is also good. Probably they're not categorized as fakes though, but ori Taiwan made rims. :) I've also had Enkei Philippines made rims, also still very good, despite my wife had driven it over don't know how many potholes in Jakarta.
So IMHO, if don't have much budget to spend, go for Taiwan rims. If got deep pockets, then go for Japan/Euro rims.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I don't think they should be classified as "imitation" since they are just copying the designs and not claiming the same claims as the original. Is the Wira an imitation of the old Lancer? Is the Inspira an imitation of the newer Lancer? They are just copies with their own unique features (yes.. the Inspira is actually different than the Lancer in a few ways).

So if you ask are Taiwan made rims reliable? Depends on company. Advanti makes pretty awesome rims
Those then are replica not imitation......:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Buy replica or just Taiwan branded. Forget about imitations.....

I am using Advanti Racing rims, bought second hand from my colleague and used over 10 years already...

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
To answer your question.

1. Who manufactured the rims?
2. Did it pass ANY official testing or did it imitate the official testing?
3. If it DID NOT PASS, then it is NOT SAFE, PERIOD. Saying you successfully used it X amount of years is inconclusive any just 1 case. Testing is about large pool of measurable and comparable data.
4. It it pass, then it is safe -- as tested by the testing body.
btw,who to verify n test the rim?sirim?

faruck

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2011
selangor
using replica advan rz 17 inch for 2 years++ already..every weekends go back KL-kuantan..no prob..using old road..theres a lot of pothole!still no bengkok2..

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
btw,who to verify n test the rim?sirim?
VIA Registration of Aluminum Wheel

JWL is self testing, but I guess it only applies to real Japanese wheels. VIA is by an independent body.

SIRIM probably don't have the technology, I don't know. I wouldn't trust SIRIM if my life depended on it.

TUV & DOT probably have some standards, but my boat is Japanese, so I have no clue about continentals.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Open advertising markets overseas makes for very interesting viewing especially in regards to automotive ads. For one thing, it definitely adds some spice compared to the local ads we get with a certain car going up against the dreaded ‘Competitor-X.’

The last major one we saw ended with Mini being handed their petite ass’s on a fine piece of...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience