Turbocharged 20V Blacktop

vh-101

500 RPM
Dec 14, 2006
Hi all,

i am using turbocharged 4AGE blacktop with 1.3bar boost and 300hp on wheels. Let me explain what parts are needed. I have listed down the parts i used based on my memory..

here it goes..

Engine Modification (all parts are original)
4AGE – 20v Blacktop Engine - fully overhauled for racing during modification
8.9.1 4AG Super Charger pistons and con rod
JASMA aftermarket light weight crank pulley
Toda light weight flywheel with Blacktop C56 gearbox (custom made double/twin cluth)
Toyota Genuine full overhaul kit
KING piston and con rod bearing
Custom made plug cable (vendor claimed better than NGK)
NGK spark plug
1Jz injectors
Walbro Fuel pump
Aluminum air intake for 4 throttle box (imported from Thailand)
ARC Racing Intercooler (Delta-fin)
HKS SQV Limited Edition BOV
Tial 38mm 1.0 bar wastegate
Garrett AR50 Turbo
Custom exhaust manifold
Apexi Intake
SARD Fuel regulator
D1-Spec oil catch tank
Haltech E6x management system with Microtech ignition controller
Apexi Boost Meter
Aluminum radiator with Fordge racing high-speed fan

TIPS: Please make sure you set rev limit not more than 9k, mine is at 8k because 20v has smaller valves retainer than 16v. if 16v you can rev up to 9.5k.

Gear box must have LSD, mine wheel keep spinning from 1st-3rd gear using 17".

Happy modding bro~

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

beside change to the supercharger piston, conrod. U need an ecu like microtech. If not the 4age bt turbo won't last long
Yes bro. is a must to change ECU because the stock ECU cant control the new system from NA to turbo at all..

suma_

Known Member
Jun 3, 2005
DU
bro vh-101;

17" wheel and still spinning? that's plenty of torque u hv there...

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
vh-101,

how much does it cost u to turbocharge ur BT?

vh-101

500 RPM
Dec 14, 2006
bro vh-101;

17" wheel and still spinning? that's plenty of torque u hv there...
yes bro but my dyno did not show the torque - so wasted.

vh-101,

how much does it cost u to turbocharge ur BT?
You'll need to prepare RM15k to RM17k to be safe.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
vh-101!

You are the man... Damn... You are side by side to Pedro who got the 300 hp 4AFE...

Erm... But I think yours has a lot of mods. Can consider a very big project. I think it can be done on a 5k budget also... Of course not as god as your la... What I've seen before is:

- retain all internals
- 2.0 mm metal gasket
- blacktop turbo injectors (don't know from what maker) or stock injctors with additional injectors at manifold.
- piggyback
- used TD04/TD05
- used intercooler
- custom made extractor and pipings...
- BOV

That's about it... Cost about 4 - 5k...

There is a shop near my place that offer BOT on Myvi and proton for 2.5k all done... All brand new parts but china... Haha... Don't dare to do that la...

chek_corolla

Known Member
Dec 3, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
why waste a good high compression engine by putting in a turbo?
Are you looking to build a dyno queen or dragster or tracker?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
why waste a good high compression engine by putting in a turbo?
Are you looking to build a dyno queen or dragster or tracker?
Actually... Yes and no I think... It depends on what you like... I love the high revving nature of the BT... But then again, the 4AGE engines serves as a strong base where many modifications can be done in many ways. Some in NA, some turbo. So if one turbo the BT, it would b a waste to the high compression high revving nature, but they will be making use of the strong base of that engine to create power also... I think both has its beauty...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
you mean strong base as in the block itself or the internals?
Block but internals as well. Overall, this engine is a good, strong platform. A starting point where one can move their way up in modding...

tonyops

Known Member
Oct 28, 2010
Sarawak
seems like not an easy job err.. But if we compare on the fuel consumption, turbocharged cars consumed more fuel or NA cars? Of course considering the same habit of driving la.. So which one of these more fuel saving?

vh-101

500 RPM
Dec 14, 2006
vh-101!

You are the man... Damn... You are side by side to Pedro who got the 300 hp 4AFE...

Erm... But I think yours has a lot of mods. Can consider a very big project. I think it can be done on a 5k budget also... Of course not as god as your la... What I've seen before is:

- retain all internals
- 2.0 mm metal gasket
- blacktop turbo injectors (don't know from what maker) or stock injctors with additional injectors at manifold.
- piggyback
- used TD04/TD05
- used intercooler
- custom made extractor and pipings...
- BOV

That's about it... Cost about 4 - 5k...

There is a shop near my place that offer BOT on Myvi and proton for 2.5k all done... All brand new parts but china... Haha... Don't dare to do that la...
Sorry bro i dont mean to look down or what but with that kind of mods i think is better to keep that 20v NA. because with piggy back for 20v turbo and that turbo, you wont got any satisfaction of power. Bear in mind in your mod list fuel pump and regulator is very important too. Mayb you can use 1j injectors as gZE injector is not the same type with 20v.

Well, if lets say piggy back i would say take 4AGZE, take out the charger and bolt the turbo. then that power is very very good with TD04 and Emanage. Trust me i have few friends here are using these setup and the results are good too.

seems like not an easy job err.. But if we compare on the fuel consumption, turbocharged cars consumed more fuel or NA cars? Of course considering the same habit of driving la.. So which one of these more fuel saving?
Well bro, of coz NA is much much more fuel saving and easy to maintain. For me my 20v turbo is just my weekend car. Cant tahan lah it consume lots of fuel because its a standalone system. if piggy back of coz more fuel saving.

For the general questions, why mod a high compression turbo? Can't really answer you but the result is magnificent as you have 4-throttles with more valves turbo. But.... there is always a but.. to get less headache, pls go for 4agze and bolt turbo by throwing away the charger lah. If 20v turbo, you'll have to get a very good tuner and need to match the VVT opening and closing with a good Standalone. Bear in mind that Microtech is very very difficult to control 20v 4 throttle and unable to trigger VVT. Only Haltech can trigger it (e.g. ON and OFF). You need to off the VVT if the VVT is on all the way you HP on the Dyno graph will not go up. We cannot use VVT like VTEC function to trigger.

so please get ask the tuner what you wan before get the right management system.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Sorry bro i dont mean to look down or what but with that kind of mods i think is better to keep that 20v NA. because with piggy back for 20v turbo and that turbo, you wont got any satisfaction of power. Bear in mind in your mod list fuel pump and regulator is very important too. Mayb you can use 1j injectors as gZE injector is not the same type with 20v.

Well, if lets say piggy back i would say take 4AGZE, take out the charger and bolt the turbo. then that power is very very good with TD04 and Emanage. Trust me i have few friends here are using these setup and the results are good too.

Well bro, of coz NA is much much more fuel saving and easy to maintain. For me my 20v turbo is just my weekend car. Cant tahan lah it consume lots of fuel because its a standalone system. if piggy back of coz more fuel saving.

For the general questions, why mod a high compression turbo? Can't really answer you but the result is magnificent as you have 4-throttles with more valves turbo. But.... there is always a but.. to get less headache, pls go for 4agze and bolt turbo by throwing away the charger lah. If 20v turbo, you'll have to get a very good tuner and need to match the VVT opening and closing with a good Standalone. Bear in mind that Microtech is very very difficult to control 20v 4 throttle and unable to trigger VVT. Only Haltech can trigger it (e.g. ON and OFF). You need to off the VVT if the VVT is on all the way you HP on the Dyno graph will not go up. We cannot use VVT like VTEC function to trigger.

so please get ask the tuner what you wan before get the right management system.
I guess I have to disagree with u a little... I'm not sure what do u mean by high fuel consumption on a turbocharged standalone.

I am using a standalone on my turbocharged 1.6L system with FIC 750cc injectors(Yeah, I know it's oversized, but I got it at a dirt cheap price) on my daily drive. So far, no issue with fuel consumption. RM80 full tank RON 95, can go all up to 430KM cruising and slightly spirited driving. Which was better than my friend's 20V BT by stock.....

Standalone is Microtech LT10s with X4. It's the matter of how low your injection timing(ms) can go. Also, how low in terms of duty cycle your injector can maintain stability. Most of the injectors doesn't go well with <0.2% duty cycle.

So, here is the thing. Turbo charging/supercharging is just a method to pre-compress the air before it goes into the powerplant. But, at non boost effective RPM for entitled turbo, u can opt to increase the ignition timing slightly and tune it slightly lean. This is because low compression engine will tends to predetonate much much lesser on idle and cruise. I had mine 15.3-16.0:1 on idle and cruise. No drama.

On a high compression engine, the chances for it to detonate when lean and advanced ignition timing is higher on idle/cruise compare to low compression. So, u have to always stay stoic or slighly rich.

Unless if u're boosting the engine the moment u start the engine, i don't see why TC/SC will consume more fuel than NA.

I have to agree with troublesome maintenance of the engine. But if maintain well, it shouldn't be a problem.

yah, btw Haltech E6x cannot control VVT. Only E11 v2 can. Platinum S1000 or higher can.
Microtech LT16 can also.

Just my 2 cents.

vh-101

500 RPM
Dec 14, 2006
I guess I have to disagree with u a little... I'm not sure what do u mean by high fuel consumption on a turbocharged standalone.

I am using a standalone on my turbocharged 1.6L system with FIC 750cc injectors(Yeah, I know it's oversized, but I got it at a dirt cheap price) on my daily drive. So far, no issue with fuel consumption. RM80 full tank RON 95, can go all up to 430KM cruising and slightly spirited driving. Which was better than my friend's 20V BT by stock.....

Standalone is Microtech LT10s with X4. It's the matter of how low your injection timing(ms) can go. Also, how low in terms of duty cycle your injector can maintain stability. Most of the injectors doesn't go well with <0.2% duty cycle.

So, here is the thing. Turbo charging/supercharging is just a method to pre-compress the air before it goes into the powerplant. But, at non boost effective RPM for entitled turbo, u can opt to increase the ignition timing slightly and tune it slightly lean. This is because low compression engine will tends to predetonate much much lesser on idle and cruise. I had mine 15.3-16.0:1 on idle and cruise. No drama.

On a high compression engine, the chances for it to detonate when lean and advanced ignition timing is higher on idle/cruise compare to low compression. So, u have to always stay stoic or slighly rich.

Unless if u're boosting the engine the moment u start the engine, i don't see why TC/SC will consume more fuel than NA.

I have to agree with troublesome maintenance of the engine. But if maintain well, it shouldn't be a problem.

yah, btw Haltech E6x cannot control VVT. Only E11 v2 can. Platinum S1000 or higher can.
Microtech LT16 can also.

Just my 2 cents.
Mine RM80 RON97 250km. nice FC ? haha probably my foot is heavy.

by the way E6x can control. i did it. there is a function (i forgot the name) which can triggers at which rpm and off at which rpm. U can use that to open and off VVT.

you will probably ask why am i so sure? because i have VVT light indicator.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey, i had got a problem here..my compressor sometime wont working even thought i had turn on my air cond..

well, here is the case;

1 day i go shopping and park beside road, then engine on and air cond on since my gf waiting me inside...(at here all okay, idling and air cond ok)

after i came back , the air cond become hotter like didn turn on acc and my rpm become 2500....the compressor not working..

then after sometime i turn off the air cond, my air cond okay again..

any sifu...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience