Student AP

adrianlek

Known Member
May 20, 2005
sgor
hi guys,

need some help here....
how 2 go about importing a car with student AP from England...
how early must i buy d car b4 i come back 2 malaysia?or can buy just b4 i return?
costs that i hv 2 look into on top of d car price...shippin,taxes etc...
any additional rules/tips will b great...
any of u hv experience doin this pls help me...

which gov agency/ministry shld i c?

if u guys hv any website or place that can guide me on this matter pls do let me know...

thks!

Last edited:

mototo

Known Member
Mar 2, 2004
NSW
Visit site
ooh.. seconded. If anyone has any information on this please do share.

would really really like to know the rules and procedures. In my case its Australia.

Cheers

kk13

1,000 RPM
Oct 29, 2005
hey man...

yeah i'm in the uk as well...was thinking of bring back a car but i changed my mind...it'll be too much of a hassle and if u think about not that worth it if u bring a used car...maybe if u buy a new one...

i heard the car has 2 be there for at least a year...so u can't buy just before u go back...so u have 2 pay for insurance etc which if u're like me not tat old will cost you loads in the uk if u wana buy a good car...plus on top of that shipping etc...

kk13

1,000 RPM
Oct 29, 2005
This might help..

1. Conditions that need to be fulfilled to qualify for Import License of a private motor vehicle:
1. Residing overseas legally for a period of not less than one (1) year. Vehicle must be registered under the applicant's name for a period of not less than nine (9) months. Vehicle must be insured under the applicant's name for a period of not less than nine (9) months.
2. Applicant must has a valid driving license. A learner/temporary driving license is not acceptable.
3. Returned to Malaysia permanently

1. How to Apply:

Applicant must submit the Application Form together with a copy of supporting documents as follows:

1. International Passport and Working or Studying Visa overseas
2. Identity card
3. Letter of job termination or completion of study
4. Certified Driving License
5. Approval letter to study from the sponsor of the scholarship or loan
6. Certificate of Registration of the Vehicle overseas.
7. Insurance Certificate of the Vehicle overseas.
8. Purchase Invoice of the Vehicle overseas.
9. Complete and typed Customs Form JK6

Note: The applicant will be interviewed and should bring along the original documents for checking and verification purposes.

so in the end it depends if the government will let u bring it in...

Kookaburra

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Koala Lampost
I brought one car back from UK around 1996/97. It's only worth it if you are really using the car there. As stated, insurance is expensive for young people. Also, the car I brought back I could not sell for 4 years and you still have to pay import duties. Make sure the car you bring back is worth some money in Malaysia.

From UK, I would bring back either a 3/4 year old VW Golf GTI Mk5, BMW 320si (E90 homologation special) or a Lotus Elise/Exige. These car won't attract a high rate of import duty (low cc and more than 3 years old) and should fetch a fair resale value in Malaysia when you want to sell it on. Insurance on the Lotus would kill you though ;-)

Bobby_87

May 14, 2007
haha,

2 years ago, wanted to bring back a ae86 from aust........but the hassle really wanted to kill me.....finally let go to my cousin in aust.:_: :_: .....haiz.....pity, its like a piece of rubbish down there costing a few thousand aussies.......but if brought back, by now can sell around RM 25-30k...look at the diff:_: :_:

mototo

Known Member
Mar 2, 2004
NSW
Visit site
EXACTLY!!
man... stuff like that are just dirt cheap down here. and the parts are like dirt cheap on ebay or if youre more adventurous the local pull-it-urself yard.

sigh.. tot if it was easy then i just bring something fancy back for my sis and family. I just found out from another mate who's bro took a celica gt4 back that the tax to pay was heaps.

adrianlek

Known Member
May 20, 2005
sgor
do u guys think d AP issue last year affected our chances to bring in a car using student AP?strictter rulings maybe...

kk13,

what r d chances d govrn wont let u bring it back?cause so far i've heard frm a fren of a fren of a fren kinda story got no problems...
if liddat i buy d car with d sole intention of bringin back then tiba2 d govrn say kenot 4 whatever reason then i ma hai lat....dah la already comin back tht time, must sell car somemore...haiah

if got msian driving licence but no international licence can ah?

still must pay d 300% tax?

kooka,

can share with me in detail d process n costs ah?
who to c,what n when to submit...
im actually helpin my bro out who is studyin in UK.
he knows nuts bout this AP stuff...

thks

kk13

1,000 RPM
Oct 29, 2005
adrianlek,

yeah i mean u can try but its quite a long and hard process that's why i didn't bother...like he said above, has 2 be a low cc car so insurance won't kill you, even if its low cc but a sports car it will be high...abt the goverment, yeah it like when u get u're visa 2 the uk...sometimes u get rejected...my fren who went back last year, they didn't let him bring back his car for some reason...i guess he could have tried again but he just sold it n went home...so it all depends i guess, n now with the ap rules getting tighter i duno know wat will happen

Kookaburra

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Koala Lampost
kooka,

can share with me in detail d process n costs ah?
who to c,what n when to submit...
im actually helpin my bro out who is studyin in UK.
he knows nuts bout this AP stuff...

thks
From what I can remember, the process is not too bad but I did get a used car dealer to clear customs for me.

1. Get the form from MITI for applying the AP.
2. Fill up the form, get your brother to sign it and send in for approval
3. Over in UK, arrange for the car to be shipped to M'sia (make sure your AP has been approved first!)
4. Once the car arrive at port here, you will receive the bill of lading. Bring that and the AP to the Kastam, negotatiate the duties, pay the duties then you can drive the car (with a trade plate).
5. The used car dealer helped me to get the trade plate and do the JPJ inspection and registration.

Costs wise :

1. Shipping charges : u would need to get quotation from UK but I would guess around GBP800 (container not very expensive)
2. Import duties : depend on car and age of car
3. Other charges : inspection fee, runner fee, etc not more than RM1,000 but that excludes the local insurance for the car and also how well you know the used car dealer.

As I said, make sure you bring back a nice car otherwise the process doesn't justify it. Something like a BMW, Merc, Porsche, Lotus which fetches a good resale value here.

kk13

1,000 RPM
Oct 29, 2005
yeah true...has 2 be a good car 2 do it...if not there's no point

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Bro, my Radiostar is making some funny stuffs. Got my car from paintshop yesterday, and today the alarm ( on the remote ) is going off too often even though the sensitivity is set to medium. It's too often, like once every few minutes, when there were no vehicle or nobody coming close to the car. And the siren doesn't sound. Will ask my mechanic about the siren ( whether cable cabut etc ) but the other prob, how? I think I did put the alarm on valet mode bfr sending the car to the paintshop...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience