Cost of living with a BMW 3 series. Importing into MY with student AP

mystvearn83

Known Member
Oct 5, 2008
Hi,

I want to know what is the actual cost of living with a beemer. Lets say I can get a used E90-93 around £6k. But I actually am not sure about the cost of owning a car. And to make it slightly harder, I will be based in Kelantan. Where to service the car there? I know Merc cars are easier since there are dealers almost every state. Not too sure there is a BMW service centre in Kelantan. and I don't like mercs. The only merc I do like is the new C-class, but thats more expansive than the current beemer (not the new facelift model). So, I really can see the point of importing if you just want the badge. If not, I'm happy to save money and buy a new entry level Honda city.

Mind sharing your experience. Cause the way I see, the cost of importing a car back is not really as cheap as people say it is. There are loads of taxes and that living cost.

Thanks

evoX2

1,000 RPM
May 11, 2005
KCH
see what car you compare to for the maintenance cost.
I owned a e46 & dc2, e46 normal oil change etc cost is similar to japanese car. But when come to repair cost the beemer will cost much much more esp those sensors stuffs. Beemer has plenty of sensors that why making the car so nice to drive but when they kaput the cost to repair those will make u headache.

Give u some charges i remembered.
Lower arm + mounting pair 1.5k
Engine mount 380
duplicate key 1k++
single radiotor hose 200
radiotor cap 80
radiotor + fan 1.5k
srs seat mat 800 <- this one always kong!
crank sensor 450
power window plastic frame pulley 350 <- this one won't last too

end of the day, those repair costs are or aren't too expensive is very subjective. so think wisely before you make any purchase.

sr18autech

Banned
Jun 27, 2009
I can share tooo, my last trip...

Radiator RM800
Radiator Hose RM300
Casual Engine Oil Replacement n service RM1,100 (things I dont know but need to change)
Labor RM300-400

Is a blood sucking life to own a BMW when it comes to servicing......Owning a japanese car is alot better

Grixism

Known Member
Mar 11, 2005
KLTN/VIRGINIA
Visit site
to TS,

u are about to import the beemer from where?since u're stating the car price in pound sterling.
dont worry if u can afford it, there are also many beemer users there in kelantan still can maintain their ride

mystvearn83

Known Member
Oct 5, 2008
to TS,

u are about to import the beemer from where?since u're stating the car price in pound sterling.
dont worry if u can afford it, there are also many beemer users there in kelantan still can maintain their ride
From UK since its £. Can find cars online at autotrader.co.uk. If go BMW dealer, used 3 series around £10k.
1k++ for duplication of key?!! Made of gold is it?

See, this is the dillemma. People say importing from UK is cheap, but its not that cheap really. You still need to pay tax when bringing it it. And need to pay in cash too. I think can afford car, just not too sure can afford maintaining it. Showing off is not really what I'm after, just sheer driving pleasure. Which is why I was considering a RX-8 as well. Cheap second hand. But drink petrol, and wankel engine... But having spent some time in the back seats, it can accommodate 180cm adult nicely.

I am just looking for a car that is reliable. If Beemer breaks down too often, then might as well don't go for it. Bringing in a UK honda does not work. Same engine, but different exterior, and I think different platform as well?

Grixism

Known Member
Mar 11, 2005
KLTN/VIRGINIA
Visit site
yes, the maintenance of beemer is quite high, but u can opt for used parts if comes a problem, i mean kedai potong, lot of beemer used parts came in nowadays, but u need time la to outsource them.
what do you mean by bringin honda from UK doesn't work?
i think they have dc5r there?that's a good piece of engineering btw.kelantan also have many honda mechanics and enthusiast...
rx-8 is no no in kelantan.not many mechanic i know there familiar with its rotary setup, but there are some people still using it.

chocolatesttarfish

500 RPM
May 13, 2007
PJ/BTU
hv u considered buying it from Auto Bavaria/BMW Malaysia? they hv few good 2ndhnd units that are still under warranty..and last time i went to Bukit Bintang they also some unregistered models with surprisingly low prices compared to some grey importers..

u might want to visit BMW club malaysia forum..u'll find lots of cool friendly bimmer owners there..they'd helped me a lot with my ride :biggrin:

mystvearn83

Known Member
Oct 5, 2008
yes, the maintenance of beemer is quite high, but u can opt for used parts if comes a problem, i mean kedai potong, lot of beemer used parts came in nowadays, but u need time la to outsource them.
what do you mean by bringin honda from UK doesn't work?
i think they have dc5r there?that's a good piece of engineering btw.kelantan also have many honda mechanics and enthusiast...
rx-8 is no no in kelantan.not many mechanic i know there familiar with its rotary setup, but there are some people still using it.
Spare parts la. Different exterior. Same engine, but honda europe is more like challenging bmw/merc/audi there.

Buying from BMW malaysia is more expansive than buying here...

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
get in a cheap car from UK to M'sia not worth it la bro... even with student AP.. at least M3 la if you like BMW.. resell value is another thing to consider. Otherwise dun need bring back la.. cannot make money and all the hassle to get the car in.
Or if you really liked the car... what u can do is

have the car checked and buy all the required replacement parts there if u need brand new... put in the trunk.. and ship it back to m'sia.. get local mechanic to install/replace... so could save you some money because to my understanding parts overseas are cheaper.. only workmanship is expensive. so.. u can drive the car for a few years before it start to "koyak" again.. den sell it... u dun loose money if your model is highly sought after... cheers!

mystvearn83

Known Member
Oct 5, 2008
get in a cheap car from UK to M'sia not worth it la bro... even with student AP.. at least M3 la if you like BMW.. resell value is another thing to consider. Otherwise dun need bring back la.. cannot make money and all the hassle to get the car in.
Or if you really liked the car... what u can do is

have the car checked and buy all the required replacement parts there if u need brand new... put in the trunk.. and ship it back to m'sia.. get local mechanic to install/replace... so could save you some money because to my understanding parts overseas are cheaper.. only workmanship is expensive. so.. u can drive the car for a few years before it start to "koyak" again.. den sell it... u dun loose money if your model is highly sought after... cheers!
That is why I'm not too keen in bringing back a car.

Have to correct your info there:
If import car, cannot place any items in the car. (boot, seats etc). Customs people will just throw it away when it reaches to Malaysia. So better be safe than sorry.

The way I see it, I cannot live with a Beemer even if I get it free from those sijil simpanan premium bsn.

3 series highly sort after? Cause the current Accord actually is feels more towards the 3 series. Aside from the FF layout, and mushy suspension.

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
lol.. customs won't throw the parts away bro.. they just impose tax. pandai pandai hide la if the parts are small... if big ones no choice but to fit it in first lor.

mystvearn83

Known Member
Oct 5, 2008
got cases la. People put stuff in car, want to jimat space in contenna. Then customs take and thrrow. Also, I've made up my mind. Not going to buy it. Unless I am anak Tan Sri or some rich MP, then I can afford it.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys
any idea where to find 3M car care products in Klang Valley area? ive been looking at ikano, one utama, pj area but to no avail.

specifically, im looking for this item

3M™ Hand Applied Glazes & Polishes

Hand applied glaze products used for final finishing, swirl mark removal, or cleaning minor imperfections in the paint finish.

My cousin gave the last portion to me and it is very good on my car, much more...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience