New to Vtec mods, need advise.

DRiftAGster

Known Member
Jul 6, 2004
All Honda Vtec sifus, i'm totally new to honda engines but looking to get a 1600cc vtec engine soon and need some advise on some basic questions. some might sound silly to long time honda kaki but i'm really new to it.

OK, questions -
1) what is the difference between B16 A,B,C in terms of performance, reliability & ease to modify?

2) are there any other 1600 vtec engine series besides the B16 series?

3) i'm looking at mid to top range power i.e. 4500rpm - 9000rpm onwards (if possible). what kind of basic mods are necessary? i guess just like other enines, high cam is a must, what are the specs?

4) i've heard people rojak mix the block with other heads. I know mostly ppl get a 1.8 or 2.0 block to mix match but anybody mix B16 block with other head for better performance?

5) any worshop you know of that can do a neat transplant of a B16 into a proton satria? JPJ is not an issue.

Thanks a lot!!!!

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
B series engine into proton cars???..:banghead:

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
1) what is the difference between B16 A,B,C in terms of performance, reliability & ease to modify?
the diff - B16A is a normal engine, but its good enough if u ask me. B16B is the type R of the 1.6s. Its from a civic ek9 hatch. pretty much the modded version of the b16a. there is no such thing as b16c (or at least, i've never heard of it). there is however b18c which comes from an integra, and b18cR or b18c5 which is from the integra type R. of course the "R"s are better but its also priced alot higher.

2) are there any other 1600 vtec engine series besides the B16 series?
as far as i know, there's 2. D-series (sohc vtec, some without vtec) and the ZC which is also a non vtec but its DOHC.

3) i'm looking at mid to top range power i.e. 4500rpm - 9000rpm onwards (if possible). what kind of basic mods are necessary? i guess just like other enines, high cam is a must, what are the specs?
the the b-series is just right for u. the b16a has relatively poor low end power, but once it hits 5.8k rpm... lalaland. the b18s however will definitely have higher torque cuz its a 1.8, and it still purrs at 5.8k rpm!

4) i've heard people rojak mix the block with other heads. I know mostly ppl get a 1.8 or 2.0 block to mix match but anybody mix B16 block with other head for better performance?
all the B series head is pretty much the same. except the type R ones (those with red cover, b16b and b18cR), they are factory port polished. blocks on the other hand are different in terms of the cc. so lets say someone plonks in a b20b (it could be a b16 or b18 head + b20 block from honda crv). the best b16 block would be b16b, as it comes with.. oh i dont rmb, too many goodies compared to the b16a block. but if u want real torque, like shiro would say, b20.

5) any worshop you know of that can do a neat transplant of a B16 into a proton satria? JPJ is not an issue.
JPJ is not an issue? so u plan to drive illegally? i wouldn't adivse that seriously. but im sure alot of workshop can do this. just depends on how much ur willing to pay. but back to ur question, i have no idea.

Last edited:

DRiftAGster

Known Member
Jul 6, 2004
arrowhead, thanks!!

so i guess B16B is the one to go for since it i have to stick to a 1.6 block. you mentioned it is port polished from factory, so any other mods we need to perform? like high cams, ecu etc?? what is the market price now for B16B engine kosong?

the car will not be on the road - if u know what i mean, so JPJ is the last thing i'm worried about. i had to use a proton because i cannot afford a honda....heheee

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
arrowhead, thanks!!

so i guess B16B is the one to go for since it i have to stick to a 1.6 block. you mentioned it is port polished from factory, so any other mods we need to perform? like high cams, ecu etc?? what is the market price now for B16B engine kosong?

the car will not be on the road - if u know what i mean, so JPJ is the last thing i'm worried about. i had to use a proton because i cannot afford a honda....heheee
But in that case, you can get non-registered chassis and use that instead, much like most MME cars that race in the supersixteen series.

I think honda chassis around 4.5K or LESS if not bothered to drive on road, or planning to race it. Got workshop that build MME cars if you're interested, it's around USJ1 area.

Seriously, I don't think any sanctioned races in Malaysia got allow satria with a honda b-series engine.

fobs

3,000 RPM
Apr 6, 2007
But in that case, you can get non-registered chassis and use that instead, much like most MME cars that race in the supersixteen series.

I think honda chassis around 4.5K or LESS if not bothered to drive on road, or planning to race it. Got workshop that build MME cars if you're interested, it's around USJ1 area.

Seriously, I don't think any sanctioned races in Malaysia got allow satria with a honda b-series engine.
i can get u a eg9/sr4, for less than 4.5k,... maybe u can re-mod the rear (ie ditch the doors and weld the butt) then u have a eg6/sr3,...

lai lai lai,... location : ipoh taugeh chicken,...

DRiftAGster

Known Member
Jul 6, 2004
shirotenshi, thanks for the advise, maybe u can pm me their contacts/exact location, thanks.

i read the technical regulations for MSS super 16 and under appendix iii rule 1.5, it says proton with toyota (or other makes) engine is allowed provided they meet the safety regulations - but i guess that's very vague because any scrutineer might say it is not safe etc.

yea, i'm considering entering the MSS super 16 to gain some experience but unfortunately, with limited budget :(

since i got 1 satria ready for the job, i'm just exploring the possibilities. anyody selling civic track car at reasonable price?? hehehee

fobs, are those models you mentioned 4 doors model? (sorry, not familiar with honda chasis models). 4 doors are fine too. i'm just a beginner, so just trying to get some experience before hopefully can get more competitive and upgrade. pm me your contact, thanks.

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
shirotenshi, thanks for the advise, maybe u can pm me their contacts/exact location, thanks.

i read the technical regulations for MSS super 16 and under appendix iii rule 1.5, it says proton with toyota (or other makes) engine is allowed provided they meet the safety regulations - but i guess that's very vague because any scrutineer might say it is not safe etc.

yea, i'm considering entering the MSS super 16 to gain some experience but unfortunately, with limited budget :(

since i got 1 satria ready for the job, i'm just exploring the possibilities. anyody selling civic track car at reasonable price?? hehehee

fobs, are those models you mentioned 4 doors model? (sorry, not familiar with honda chasis models). 4 doors are fine too. i'm just a beginner, so just trying to get some experience before hopefully can get more competitive and upgrade. pm me your contact, thanks.
The shop is Rochi Racing, I'm sure if you follow the SuperSixteen series, they are an old team, no longer racing I think, but more on building racecars for customers. The all female redbull integra I've seen at his place, but dunno the extent of work done by him. I'm suer however, that more than a few MME cars that competed in the 2008 MSS that concluded recently are built by him.

I don't have the exact address, but the shop is around USJ area. He moved to a new location, still around USJ area. If you drive around there and ask the local halfcut shops, they should know the place. I just drive there occasionally and I never bothered to check their new address since they moved a few blocks away from the old place, lol.

I just know how to drive there, but address wise, I have no idea.
The shop is around this area.

General location

Heck, most of their customer don't even know the mailing address either lol, because they usually deal with him directly (old guy, not internet savvy, sms illiterate, etc.)

I'm rather hesistant to give out his contact number, because he's not big on talking to strangers (he gets more random/useless enquirers than you might think). But rather than calling, I'd suggest you head there and look at their work yourself. The foreman/head mech/boss doesn't talk much and to some may be a bit unfriendly, so just head there and talk to his worker, which is more friendlier, although he is rather busy, so may not answer everything as quickly.

An average complete EK9 car outfitted for racing is about 35K and up last I asked (including moderately built engine, if I'm right), but I guess with higher prices for B-series engines, that pricing has probably changed. That price includes a rollcage, lightening (stripping tar and repainting) and various other required items for sanctioned racing. The chassis may start at 3-4K, but with spot/pinch welds, etc. etc.it can easily hit the close to 10K mark when finished, depending on chassis mods (poly bushes, etc) and strengthening equipment (extra welded plate/bars)

A stock B-series may be around 6-7K at the moment for a full halfcut, but a built b16a can be around 15-20K after mods, more than double the amount. Even more, if you factor in other modifications to reduce parasitic losses like an electrical driven waterpump and dry sump system. Output is always around 190whp thereabouts (or less), mostly because most cars made generating more than that amount don't last an entire season, which involves a killer amount of money to run and maintain, but necessary if you want to maintain a good points standing and consistency to attract sponsors. Most now are more conservative to achieve lower maintainance costs. A common super sixteen car can run an entire season without rebuilt usually, though tires are a big expense. For me, the tires would probably be the biggest expense in joining the supersixteen series. Edit: Oh I forgot.. suspension too. Good grade suspension will cost upwards of 10K (new), second hand are available unlike tires, so this is not as big as amount it may initially seem.

If you'd like to ask more, perhaps you can ask Chris from Pentagon Sdn. Bhd. (www.pentagon.com.my), as he was actively racing in the MSS supersaloon series in 2006, although I think he's semi retired to concentrate more on his business, but you can probably get a better idea of the costs involved in racing the supersixteen series through him. He also raced in the Satria GTi, so you can also ask him about how he did his Satria back in 2004.

But with economy so bad now, I think mostly will be privateers racing in the next MSS supersixteen as less sponsors are willing or able to sponsor. At least, that's how I see it.

I wish I could join in the fun, but family and work responsibilities and living far from sepang will limit my pipe dream :P

Good luck!

Last edited:

DRiftAGster

Known Member
Jul 6, 2004
thanks shiro!! i think i know that area, will go ronda when i'm free later. i have an offer for an EK track car selling RM28k, havent ask about the mods/parts details but looks like it is below the market price you mentioned.

how about civic EF - in terms of handling compared to EG & Ek, i heard some ppl say it's hard to find performance suspension parts for this model? is that true? another guys is offering a chasis (spot welded & rollcaged) to me at RM 1.5k, is that a good deal?

super fei lo

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2007
EF...
I think its a great base to play with, for suspension wise,u can actually interchange with any DC or EG suspension system.And its pretty easy to source.
My fren has a EF project in hand.
Roll cage, spot weld, tar remove, etc etc etc.

BUT if u are having an eg or ek chasis, u can do the "K" thing in the future,if EF, too small.

mind if i ask u, wats the main purpose of this track car?
Drag of Track?

Y dont u get a cheap cheap EF chasis that have all the document to be on the road.
rather ONLY TRACK DAY....

:biggrin:

Bump: EF...
I think its a great base to play with, for suspension wise,u can actually interchange with any DC or EG suspension system.And its pretty easy to source.
My fren has a EF project in hand.
Roll cage, spot weld, tar remove, etc etc etc.

BUT if u are having an eg or ek chasis, u can do the "K" thing in the future,if EF, too small.

mind if i ask u, wats the main purpose of this track car?
Drag of Track?

Y dont u get a cheap cheap EF chasis that have all the document to be on the road.
rather ONLY TRACK DAY....

:biggrin:

tecque

500 RPM
Jun 29, 2005
sbn
D u guys know wher can do weld spot?? Actually wat advantage of weld spot?? can pass pustakom inspection?
And Tar remove?? izizt the layer that covered the chasis? Why remove it??

Sorry..im new to honda vtec mod also... need advise...thanks

Last edited:

DRiftAGster

Known Member
Jul 6, 2004
super fei lo, thanks.

the car will be for track, not drag. most likely will be running on those open track days and until when i'm ready, maybe try to participate in super16 and MME. not going to the K series engine route because that will put me into the super salon and i guess a turbo 4wd would do a better job in that category even though some EP3 & DC5 are really fast.

if suspension setup for EF is not that difficult, i guess i'll get a EF, stuff a B16B and start with that.

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
D u guys know wher can do weld spot?? Actually wat advantage of weld spot?? can pass pustakom inspection?
And Tar remove?? izizt the layer that covered the chasis? Why remove it??

Sorry..im new to honda vtec mod also... need advise...thanks
yup..... ofcos more strength to ur chassis.. sure cannot pass(can,but if u got $$$)

thats not Tar.... remove it for lighter & easy to work with it...

super fei lo

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2007
if spot welded your car,its consider your car pernah sambung,u need to go for jpj inspection.
try to call bahagian kawat selia for more details.

if didnt go for inspection. later on if u want to sell your car. big time trouble....

Bump: if spot welded your car,its consider your car pernah sambung,u need to go for jpj inspection.
try to call bahagian kawat selia for more details.

if didnt go for inspection. later on if u want to sell your car. big time trouble....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The late 80s and early and mid 90s are considered to be the 'golden era of motorsport', in the world of four wheels Ayrton Senna was amazing the world with his magic and a manufacturers war at the Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters between Mercedes and BMW created a cult following that is still alive today.

Over the years there have been plenty of videos celebrating this 'golden era of DTM' racing and a number of...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience