need help, fuel issues

scottwrx

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2007
dear sifus

appreciate if u could advice me on this, i m now currently running on bt 6speed, convert from 4afe, now using 4afe pump and the original 4afe fuel rail, i have always been noticing that my fc is higher than others, 100% highway, maintain 120kmh also 11km/l only (rm75 -450km), and sometimes i can smell petrol fumes on exhaust n some on engine bay,
i have checked all the relevant areas, fuel filter, fuel rail, fuel pump, o2 sensor, spark plug, plug cable, exhaust temp sensor,

only minor mod = drop in filter, aftermarket extractor, lightened flywheel

curious about fuel regulator coz some say that can solve the fc issues, i know that we can adjust the pressure of the fuel supplied so the rest will be returned... by installing fuel regulator, can we control the fuel pressure n direct control the fc as well? i

and what are other things that i have missed out.. headache lah.. some time can smell petrol fumes.. but it is not that strong.i suspect something must be wrong or the engine is running too rich..

i know some of this topics have been discussed but i would really appreciate if some one can me to solve the mystery.... coz i m out of ideas... coz i m planning to get a regulator but not sure of the cost vs benefit.

appreciated...

thanx sifus..

scottwrx

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2007
any sifus can help? point out where i missed out?

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
Do you have the charcoal canister installed? There should be a hose from fuel tank connected to the canister. This allows petrol gas from the fuel tank to be sent to the canister and back to the engine.

Btw, usually changing to aftermarket extractor will increase FC a bit. Also, make sure the exhaust gaskets are properly sealed. Leaky exhaust gasket will increase FC.

Also, stock 4AFE fuel pump is not sufficient for 4AGE 20V usage.20V uses bigger injector than 4AFE. Furthermore yours is 6speeder wor, get a better pump bro.

Anyways, I think you're FC is still ok la bro. Don't worry too much...

Correct me if im wrong.

Last edited:

scottwrx

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2007
i will and check.. but problem is the fc is the same whether i m using stock or aftermarket header woh...

i m keen to know coz i travel a lot, average 800 bucks for petrol, even i can save 1 cent per km will save nearly rm80 already...

will installing fuel regulator help?

cybtech

Known Member
Feb 20, 2008
2 cents, have you check your tire pressure, any loads in your trunk?
if really 1 2 save for long distance, BT 6spd isn't that fuel saving... (so sorry to say that to you) coz i'm using BT 6spd too, at 120kmh rpm is around 4000 rpm! at that point engine is starting to roar. 11km/l is ok for BT, (avg 9~11km/l if i'm not wrong)
or another method, add a VVT indicator, then try to drive without letting the VVT turn on. :biggrin:

Bump: one more thing (most important) :biggrin:, "the right leg Kung-Fu"
check out this, BT/SVT consumption discussion :http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/toyota/260623-20v-fuel-consumption-after-rm1-80-l.html

Last edited:

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
Did u reset ECU after new exhaust setup? Bigger exhaust setup should logically output more power = more FC

But bro, seriously your FC is not bad what for 4AGE. Perhaps you should try chassis lightening and remove the rear seat + spare tire. Sure can go the extra mileage... :wavey:

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
dear sifus

appreciate if u could advice me on this, i m now currently running on bt 6speed, convert from 4afe, now using 4afe pump and the original 4afe fuel rail, i have always been noticing that my fc is higher than others, 100% highway, maintain 120kmh also 11km/l only (rm75 -450km), and sometimes i can smell petrol fumes on exhaust n some on engine bay,
i have checked all the relevant areas, fuel filter, fuel rail, fuel pump, o2 sensor, spark plug, plug cable, exhaust temp sensor,
try to change that first...

fuel smells...
check if there any leakage on the fuel pump...just below the rear seat...

if your nose powerfull enough...follow your nose...from where the fuel smells came from... :biggrin:

mamatAE111

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
I really should convert to blacktop for good FC it seems...
My 4AFE auto travel 100km kuantan to kerteh now averaging 9-10km/liter only:rolleyes:
So Bro scott, you 6 speed BT fc is really not bad lah...

anuar_fadzli

500 RPM
May 10, 2005
kl
i think ure fc is not bad bro. like bro pcmoddingmy said dont worry bro. mine oso like ure car fc :biggrin:

NA_Lover

Known Member
Jul 19, 2008
Bro scott..
your FC is at 16 sen per km wor..
You know how I would kill to have FC like your car ah..
Mine is at 24 sen per km. Regardless of highway or city drive.
Wahahah!!!

muzhaffar

Known Member
Dec 1, 2008
my car also have fuel consumption prob
before this, fuel consumption quite ok..
rm10 from gombak to seremban..
but now need almost double to go there..
but after advancing the distributor a little bit, fuel consumption is quite ok but not as safe as before
also can smell unburnt fuel from the exhaust?
do u think that the oxygen or lambda sensor not function well?
where can get that sensor brand new and how much it would cost?
my car also use blacktop 6 speed

Captain Fast

Known Member
Apr 9, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Don't worry too much! Your FC is quite okay. I'm getting 12km/l from mixed town driving. Best way for ensuring good FC is to install the VVT indicator light (I have and its really interesting to see how easily your VVT kicks in) and having a really light right foot. Shift around 2500 to 3000rpm and by right should give you more or less commendable FC. That's as good as you can go for BT cos its meant for power and not so much for fuel economy. Happy driving!:driver:

t-la

1,000 RPM
May 10, 2005
secret place
scott, maybe u are running too rich. u can try trimming the fuel map using piggy back.

scottwrx

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2007
thanx all sifus for your input, t-la i would be happy if i can achieve 12km/l , my fc for mixed or 100% highway also the same... in the range of 11km / l

i think that is the best i could do...

will installing fuel regulator help?

piggyback? racun woh... what kind of piggy back do u mean? e manage, atc, afc?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello all sifu... i just wnt to ask some question. I want to modified my 1.8 4g93 turbo engine. What is the most suitable piston can use inside the engine?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience