Need an opinion on the car that i've just test drove

Zidane

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
Guys, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
i've just met with a seller for his proton putra. <o:p></o:p>
My findings are as below:<o:p></o:p>
1. Back boot<o:p></o:p>
There was some damp mud where the spare tyre is. The owner said that there is a leak somewhere. Even he was not sure where the leak was. So need to replace the rubbers there. No sign of accident. Cost of replacement RM 200?<o:p></o:p>
2. Engine bay<o:p></o:p>
Open pod filter. Dunno what brand. But looked old and a bit broken. <o:p></o:p>
The battery was without the holder or bracket. Besides that, the engine was smooth. He said just did top overhaul (around RM1.4k). Cost of replacement of bracket and open pod filter RM 600?<o:p></o:p>
3. Interior<o:p></o:p>
Seat was CRX (not original Recaros). Both back and front was worn out. <o:p></o:p>
The gear console had the gear lock missing and one other button missing. <o:p></o:p>
The dashboard was a standard something like WIRA with the broken air con vents and normal broken places.<o:p></o:p>
The roof carpet was dirty. <o:p></o:p>
The gearknob was falling off. The screw was rusty.<o:p></o:p>
Meter was not running when he first bought it. <o:p></o:p>
All to be replaced RM 2,500? <o:p></o:p>
Didn’t check the floor carpet.<o:p></o:p>
4. Exterior<o:p></o:p>
Front hood looked like it got into a car accident. But the guy said that the front hood is from a mivec. It didn’t look like Mivec to me. But I wouldn’t know cause I’m not familiar with mivec body. Replace front hood and whatever needs replacing RM 500? <o:p></o:p>
Paint job RM 800.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
5. Exhaust<o:p></o:p>
Was noisy and straight flow. Not my cup of tea. Changing back to standard and quiet RM 500?<o:p></o:p>
6. Rims and Tyres<o:p></o:p>
16inch. The rim had a lot of weight on one of them. Didn’t check the other rims. The tyre was almost bald. Already hitting the indicator saying that it needs replacing. <o:p></o:p>
Per tyre change is RM300. 4 = RM1,200<o:p></o:p>
7. Ride<o:p></o:p>
Engine was smooth but felt rather heavy. HAd no problem reaching 80km/h. BUt the car was rather heavy. Couldn’t really test it cause the alignment and tuning was done properly. All RM 500?<o:p></o:p>
8. Other details
4 owners.
I asked him to get someone to check the chassis to see it there are any rust spots.
9. Price<o:p></o:p>
Selling at RM 20k but was negotiable to RM18k.<o:p></o:p>
I think at RM 20k, this is the cheapest Putra for a 1999. But with all the work to be done (ie about RM6k ++ if my estimation is correct), I’m reluctant to buy.
Would anyone of you buy it with all the replacements to be done?

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
i will only buy car that gives me good feeling... if you don't feel good at first place then don't bother to buy it unless you are 2nd hand dealer... from the condition of the car you can also easily notice the owner's attitude towards his ride, if he dun even give a damn to it's outlook there could be more hidden problem which might resurface sooner or later... i won't buy it.

amTonjet

Known Member
Apr 20, 2009
bro Zidane, 18k-20k for a 1999 putra was cheap...but 6k to restore it is to much(for me)...and bro Contreasjun27 was right,whats the point buying a putra w/o the original recaro seats?
just my 2cents...

Zidane

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
I agree with you guys (except for the recaros comment :D).

it'll take a lot of time and money.

I might as well buy a new car with that sort of investment.....

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
i guess it is a manual rite?
it wont feel heavy even with 17inches rims on...better check...

but this kind of condition, as used car dealer - we also avoid coz for car enthusiast - they looking at smooth and neat car - even in std stock condition also ok......kinda hard to sell lor..

look at the mileage - and rm20k is cheap but plz think thrice...not twice...cheerz

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
No pics difficult to justify. But for RM20k, I rather add a bit more to get a used '96 civic or pay longer loan for a new saga.

Zidane

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
Yup.

correct.

i just want a smooth and good condition stock car.

Nothing fancy.

i guess it is a manual rite?
it wont feel heavy even with 17inches rims on...better check...

but this kind of condition, as used car dealer - we also avoid coz for car enthusiast - they looking at smooth and neat car - even in std stock condition also ok......kinda hard to sell lor..

look at the mileage - and rm20k is cheap but plz think thrice...not twice...cheerz

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

I already have a persona as my everyday and reliable car.

This is just for my fun car.

No pics difficult to justify. But for RM20k, I rather add a bit more to get a used '96 civic or pay longer loan for a new saga.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

Ok. Case close.

I found another one on the loose.

A bit newer and slightly more expensive than the one i saw this morning. But hopefull worth it.

regards,

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
you can try and scout around for a better deal... but if you want a car thats ready to play around.. you hv to buy from an enthusiast... usually would have some modifications added and condition would be immaculate.. but pricing may be more than your budget..

best if you could get a stock one in good condition... then you can set it up your way(Since you did comment on the exhaust)... but mostly good cars wont hv much of a problems... usually some wear n tear like belts n mounting only you hv to change when you buy them.. the rest are lubricant change.. but buying from ppl who sells broken things is not a good idea to me... if buying a beat up car like that might as well buy a tender car... at least you know you need to spend a lot to do some refurbishing...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all sifu,

want to ask, can a Satria Gti throttle body install into a Wira 1.5Gli Efi 2004 (Siemen ECU) ? is there any problem with the idling after install ?

and what kind of improvement can we expect? and normally it cost how much to buy the Gti throttle and installation job ?

Thanks !
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience