Need advise to take out woofer...

hawick

Known Member
Jun 27, 2005
D'sara / S'ban
Sorry if my question is silly, but i really need help as i'm totally new in ICE section.

I bought a car with ICE built by previous owner, but i dun like his setting because i found that the bass is too heavy (10" woofer x 2), and the weight of woofer box is 30kg, which is a lot for me. So, i'm planning to take out 1 of the woofer, since my friend wish to buy it.

The question is, can i just simply take out 1 woofer without re-routing the wiring or adjust something else e.g amplifier?

Haha, i know the question sounds kinda noob, but please feel free to advise me, i really worry if there is any side effect.

Below is the photo of my car:-

P/S:
what is the big "SPL" thing at left hand side in pic 1? and what are the 4 boxes in picture 2? i'm really a newbie, dun shoot me, k? :_:

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
the big SPL thing is an amplifier and the 4 small boxes are called passive crossovers, i guess u have 2 sets of component speakers.

for your sub, u have to take out both subwoofers from the box and get individual boxes for each, cant take out one and leave it. the wiring to the sub will be simpler than wiring 2 subs, so theres no problem if a shop does it. if u want to DIY have to find out if the sub has 1 set or 2 sets of positive/negative terminals, if 1 set its very simple, if 2 sets, have to wire it in series or parallel to get the correct impedance. will explain to u more if that is the case later.

hawick

Known Member
Jun 27, 2005
D'sara / S'ban
Thanks for your help, zenn.

Ok, i'll get another smaller box.
For a cheaper way, i think it shouldn't be a problem to cut out existing box into 2 pieces, because i found that there is a separater in the box between 2 woofers.
How is your opinion?

Here is the photo of the wire connection, is this the "1 set" u mentioned before?
That's mean i can just take out the short wire, and then connect both terminals to the same woofer (Pic 2)?

Zenn said:
the big SPL thing is an amplifier and the 4 small boxes are called passive crossovers, i guess u have 2 sets of component speakers.

for your sub, u have to take out both subwoofers from the box and get individual boxes for each, cant take out one and leave it. the wiring to the sub will be simpler than wiring 2 subs, so theres no problem if a shop does it. if u want to DIY have to find out if the sub has 1 set or 2 sets of positive/negative terminals, if 1 set its very simple, if 2 sets, have to wire it in series or parallel to get the correct impedance. will explain to u more if that is the case later.

loon1031

Known Member
Sep 30, 2006
www.cari.com
Why need cut out the box?
Just buy a new box la... easy & the box not so expensive.

hawick

Known Member
Jun 27, 2005
D'sara / S'ban
loon1031 said:
Why need cut out the box?
Just buy a new box la... easy & the box not so expensive.
Yes, i know buying a new box got less hassle to handle, but i dun want to keep the old box in my house, it will become 1 more excuse for my mother to start mumble, haha. :regular_smile:
By the way, i don't feel like selling it out as a used item because i think many ppl want to buy new box instead of such a low cost used item, right?

ryukeong said:
Yup its the correct way to connect the wire as in your pic
Ok, ryukeong, thanks for ur advice :_:

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
if youre experienced in box building, then you could do the cut n paste of the box (have to paste one more wall for the box that doesnt get the middle splitter), just make sure everything is strong, tight & rigid.

the wiring outside the box is series, which makes me think again that there may be another double voice coil wiring INSIDE the box. u will know once u open it, if it is a single or double voice coil sub. if it is indeed single (one pair of +ve -ve terminal) then your wiring diagram proposal is ok. if it is dvc (i think its parallel inside, series outside) then u may or may not change it depending on your amp specs (if it is 2ohm mono stable or not)

cacin

1,000 RPM
Mar 9, 2005
Penang
Visit site
Bro,
Can't you just adjust the setting of the HU, amp or electronic crossover? Another suggestion would be to just sell both sub with the box and get yourself a new one :P

jchin2

Known Member
Sep 15, 2006
you shud just get a 12" sub woofer with seal box enough unless u playing SPL song u need a ported box..
as u said earlier cut the box into half also can.2 of my fren cut their box into half & share it together because its an own made box(calculation from woofer spec) from acc shop. If make a new box its expensive so they decided to cut & share...

hawick

Known Member
Jun 27, 2005
D'sara / S'ban
Zenn said:
if youre experienced in box building, then you could do the cut n paste of the box (have to paste one more wall for the box that doesnt get the middle splitter), just make sure everything is strong, tight & rigid.

the wiring outside the box is series, which makes me think again that there may be another double voice coil wiring INSIDE the box. u will know once u open it, if it is a single or double voice coil sub. if it is indeed single (one pair of +ve -ve terminal) then your wiring diagram proposal is ok. if it is dvc (i think its parallel inside, series outside) then u may or may not change it depending on your amp specs (if it is 2ohm mono stable or not)
Yah, in fact i should prepare proper tools b4 start work, and make sure the cutting edge is smooth and nice. Happy DIY :_:

I did open up the woofer box and found that the wire is connected from woofer to connector at the box. That's mean there is no connection between 2 woofers.

jchin2 said:
you shud just get a 12" sub woofer with seal box enough unless u playing SPL song u need a ported box..
as u said earlier cut the box into half also can.2 of my fren cut their box into half & share it together because its an own made box(calculation from woofer spec) from acc shop. If make a new box its expensive so they decided to cut & share...
new thing to learn from u, wat is SPL?

cacin said:
Bro,
Can't you just adjust the setting of the HU, amp or electronic crossover? Another suggestion would be to just sell both sub with the box and get yourself a new one :P
Cacin, if i had the same idea with u, this thread won't be created, right? :regular_smile:
By the way, how much can i sell that used PROFILE 10" woofer? My friend wish to buy it from me but i have no idea at all.

jchin2

Known Member
Sep 15, 2006
SPL is for Sound Pressure Level.Those playing heavy bass music like example your woofer box with portted.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi SifuSifu,
I wanted to change to adjustable as I've been using sport springs and now I want to take it to the next level. But I'm not sure which coilovers to go for. As I've been told BC Racing have better quality and built compared to Gab SS.
Even though with the better build and quality. People still recommend the GAB SS cause the after sales service is much easier and faster compared to BC Racing.

And I also want to know which coilovers is better in terms of performance, ride...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience