Engine Oil for Mivec 1.6 DOHC 4G92

modesto007

Known Member
Sep 17, 2008
Good day to all ..

I need to know the suggested engine oil for Mivec 1.6 DOHC 4G92,
Recently me done with general service on timingbelt/water pump/spark plugs and so on..

So for the first time, i used HKS Semi Synthetic 10w 40 4liter engine oil. It suppose to run for 5000km but now its just 3500km ran and the oil stick sitting at 2nd bottom line..:banghead:

Current status:
Engine PnP
Iridium Spark plugs
2" Direct piping
HKS Semi Synthetic 10w 40

The engine oil pretty good though, made my engine much lighter and better response. What made me worried is the km it lasted...
There's no white smoke or oil leaking or what's so ever... ive checked it thoroughly...
Im gonna change it now, so im just thinking what will be the best for this engine oil for this type of engine... ??

Cheers :driver:

Bump: *Apologies if this is a duplicate/ or been discussed before

Last edited:

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
for power,the thinner the better for n/a engine.but since ur engine did "eat" up some engine
oil,u might need to consider changing ur piston ring.if u still insist on changing engine oil
but want to make it last longer than ur current 1,choose viscosity greater then 40.xw-50 might
help.

Last edited:

modesto007

Known Member
Sep 17, 2008
the strange thing is, the mech checked it and confirmed there's no need to change piston ring as its look very good and the block seems perfect... so im just curious!!

so perhaps, i try differ oil now and monitor it, if its happens again then piston ring good to go. ..

GT Auto, ...any other thoughts ? you reckon i should try something like 10w 50?

cheers

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
There is a synthetic oil from castrol , 10W/60 its good for very rough condition but the engine response will suffer abit. Motul has a 15w/50 synthetic as well.

modesto007

Known Member
Sep 17, 2008
lots of them reckon Q8 Formula Advance Semi Sync 10w 40, been looking around klang, but none keep stock.. :itsme:

which you reckon for NA engines? Semi Sync or Fully Sync? should i go for higher viscocity so the enigne oil last longer ..?

oh man im confused ...and me engine need new oil also the gb oil ...

cheers :smokin:

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
Since your engine is oil consuming which it isn't a good sign, better u go for higher viscosity oil than the thinner ones. It can protect your engine better but fc and acceleration suffer a little bit. Ohh ya, not advisable to go for fully syn as it drain off your oil quicker than u expect !

modesto007

Known Member
Sep 17, 2008
will get 10w 50 then see how its goes. .. if its happening again then need to take it back to mech..
Cheerrs ...

another question gb oil? which one i should use? for mivec 1.6 gb:wavey:

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
i'm using penzoil 80/90 for my kenari, quite smooth and it also appropriate with LSD gd. If u really some better ones can try Red Line 80/90 or Motul 80/90

egb18c

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kuantan
royal purple is quite a well known brand in US,but they prefer mobil1 as their engine oil.
this is for sr20det user lah

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
royal purple?..which country use that?..btw,thanks for the info!:top:
Me and quite a few people in Malaysia are using Royal Purple Oil.

Bump:
royal purple is quite a well known brand in US,but they prefer mobil1 as their engine oil.
this is for sr20det user lah
Interesting. I don't drive a SR20...but yet I can use Royal Purple.

[youtube]RHMkFS3jBeQ[/youtube]
So despite the test result, u still wanna use Mobil 1?

FocalPoint

500 RPM
Apr 26, 2004
Don't be so quick to blame the rings. It's high temperature burn-off and you just find the oil level dropping at the dipstick.

Motor oils runs best at between 80-105 C. Those lucky enough to have a PRECISION oil temp gauge are privileged to track the engine's internal heat via oil. Remember, higher engine operating temperatures cause horsepower loss.

For those who suffer serious oil burn-off, a bottle of Tufoil should help. All engines run cooler with Tufoil including million dollar gen-sets.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Are you participating in the TIMETOATTACK this year? If the answer is yes, you'd be glad to know that you're entitled to a 20% Discount for all Federal 595 RS-R Performance road and FZ-201 Semi Slick tyres! This initiative is brought to you by Federal Tyres through Kegani Motorsports for your enjoyment, If you've been meaning to sample the highly acclaimed performance tyres by Federal, this...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience