Can a stock evo3 engine withstand 1.5bar of boost?

spuzzle

500 RPM
Aug 23, 2005
Kuantan / Perth
all sifus,

can a stock evo3 block withstand 1.3-1.5bar of boost?
simple mod done:

18g turbo
e6x ecu
260 cam
560 cc injector
walbro
fuel regulator
banana
wastegate
metal gasket ( what thickness the best? )

target to achieve +-350whp

Last edited:

wolverine77

Known Member
Jun 25, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
not advisable. evo3 with stock internal should only boost up to 1 bar max.

mine is evo2 stock internal. still alive after several spike to 1.6bar but i only run it max at 1.2bar. better to be safe than sorry. 1.2 bar is max for evo2.

evo2 can boost higher than evo3 with stock internal as evo2 has lower compression.

---------- Post added at 03:03 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

nevertheless, i met people that run more than 1.2 bar on evo1/2/3 and their engine is still running fine after several years of abuse.

they said that with proper fueling and tuning, 4g63t (stock internal) can withstand boost more than 1.2 bar without any problem.

some calls 4g63t bulletproof engine... some calls it 'tauhu'.

paranoid_android

500 RPM
Jul 27, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
when talking about boost, we also need to consider what turbo, because 1.5bar with td05 compare with 1.5bar gt35, is like comparing orange with apple..

in ur case spuzzle, u use 18g right? I think ur engine can withstand but all depend on ur tuning.. But still, evo block lot more fragile then vr4, some of them run 400hp in evo block still ok but many of them broke evo block when past 300hp...

anyway, before this I boost 1.5bar with tdo5 in evo 2 block, hantam kaw2, block still ok, just piston goyang already, cylinder wall scratch and the best things, crankwalk :wavey:

jo1

Known Member
Dec 8, 2004
Boost won't break your engine nor cause crank walk.
Detonation and pre-ignition does, so avoid it like you avoid a $5 hooker.

kanan

500 RPM
Nov 12, 2005
KL
when talking about boost, we also need to consider what turbo, because 1.5bar with td05 compare with 1.5bar gt35, is like comparing orange with apple..

in ur case spuzzle, u use 18g right? I think ur engine can withstand but all depend on ur tuning.. But still, evo block lot more fragile then vr4, some of them run 400hp in evo block still ok but many of them broke evo block when past 300hp...

anyway, before this I boost 1.5bar with tdo5 in evo 2 block, hantam kaw2, block still ok, just piston goyang already, cylinder wall scratch and the best things, crankwalk :wavey:
bro paranoid can explain a little bit more why same boost level 1.5 bar but with different type of turbo size it will be different? bcoz i've been thinking if same boost pressure would mean it's similar at the end rite? i just upgraded to bigger turbo size but still using the same boost value as previous size turbo. I was thinking what would i need to reset so that the engine not kebaboom due to differences that exist now.

rakesh_v6

Mar 31, 2006
KL
kanan, changing the turbine doesnt help much if rest of ur equits cant get along with ur td04(sufficient enaf to support)

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
crankwalk? wat does it mean and what causes it?
bro, u r in the toyota world, maybe that word is strange to u kekeke
mitsubishi evo blocks has a manufacturing defact , freeplay of the crankshaft which causes wear of the thrust bearing, then gone

spuzzle

500 RPM
Aug 23, 2005
Kuantan / Perth
thanks to all feedbacks

kanan, bigger turbo more flow eventhough same pressure...so it is different at the end

wolverine77

Known Member
Jun 25, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
i also tot that 1.5 bar of pressure will be the same using wat ever type of turbo. the efficiency island is different though.

u should select turbo size according to your airflow needs and application (e.g. drag/rally/track).

jo1

Known Member
Dec 8, 2004
thanks to all feedbacks

kanan, bigger turbo more flow eventhough same pressure...so it is different at the end

So, why everybody afraid of the boost? is it because of the higher pressure or higher flow?

yopo

Known Member
Jan 28, 2006
bro, u r in the toyota world, maybe that word is strange to u kekeke
mitsubishi evo blocks has a manufacturing defact , freeplay of the crankshaft which causes wear of the thrust bearing, then gone

the reason why jin among the 6 bolts worshiper..hehehehe :burnout:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey guys need some help ...... i need to polish my sisters vios there car is 6 months old n the paint condition is quiet bad as my sister didnt take care of the car... there are alot of bird shit stain on the car which im trying to remove it with a cloth n polish ...but there are some part of the car which is affected my the aircond water and its causing the paint to change color :( and the front driver side door there is a key scratch ask u know kl there are alor of lifeless people who...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience