Can a stock evo3 engine withstand 1.5bar of boost?

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
wat ems dat engine is running on?..

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
on the std td05h 16g, 272ponies on the dyno dynamics. on the t3/t4 it was making around 350 on the same boost level. den, the intercooler was changed to a bigger (shiny, lol) unit and boost was lowered to 1.3bar and the engine made around 360mustangs on the same dyno. the car is pulling harder now because the torque increases a lot on the new tune @ 1.3bar

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

wat ems dat engine is running on?..
microtech lt8, perfectly tuned by joshua thiran of millennium motorsports asia

flanker c

Known Member
Jul 24, 2007
on the std td05h 16g, 272ponies on the dyno dynamics. on the t3/t4 it was making around 350 on the same boost level. den, the intercooler was changed to a bigger (shiny, lol) unit and boost was lowered to 1.3bar and the engine made around 360mustangs on the same dyno. the car is pulling harder now because the torque increases a lot on the new tune @ 1.3bar

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

whoaaa:adore: 350whp for daily drivin...400hp on crank..how you counter torque steer?? semi slick for daily ka?? drive shaft can tahan arr if you carry 4 person when boosting.. very kaya arr you...:burnout:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
y kaya eh? drive shaft is still holding so far.. using road tyres, sime astar, cheap and tahan lame, bawak macam biase no hal kot

spuzzle

500 RPM
Aug 23, 2005
Kuantan / Perth

wow, unbelieveable.....what cams u using? if u dont mind to tell...:biggrin:

Last edited:

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang

how's the fc consumption?..

E6XLancer

Known Member
May 2, 2010
1 Malaysia
It's the flow + pressure. Boost pressure is just a precompression of the air before it is recompressed in you cylinders. BUt of course, different fuel have different thermal property.

IF u have a high pressure but small flow turbo, example u boosting at 2bars with TD04L on an E3, the turbo chocks before 4krpm. When u boost 3 bars with the turbo, still the air is insufficient to fill your cylinder due to low cfm.

Example, I have my BOT with TD04L once tuned to boost 1 bar. Now, I'm on GT2560R boost ing at 0.6bar and I have white plugs.... Heheh....

Hmmm... good good....

True, we don't know how the engine was driven before us... E3 discontinued in 1996. Which means the newest E3 engine available is 13 years back.

However, if u take a look at kedai potong... Almost 90% of the Evos are kept standard and low mileage... They're fine...

Back to the thread starter... To my experience, it's safe to boost 1.2-1.3. bars with stock internals if TUNED WELL... The ignition timing is a little aggressive and higher CR compare to its precedor E1-E2. So, it's more risky to boost hight.

If u can avoid lean AFR and premature detonation, then things will work fine.
Well said:shakehands:At least have to Re-Operation its for inspect againts the Oldies Internal Parts...
HaHaHa...:biggrin:

flanker c

Known Member
Jul 24, 2007
y kaya eh? drive shaft is still holding so far.. using road tyres, sime astar, cheap and tahan lame, bawak macam biase no hal kot
hehehe your so lucky laa..not like me..foot everyday heavy :burnout: mine previous car also 385whp wira body..eat driveshaft 3 times..gearbox pecah 1 times, 1 year 2 times change tyre daily boost 1.5bar..1.7bar if encounter subaru or evo..:thefinger: fc very high coz bigger injector .:proud:...lasty my EMS got stolen:bawling: + summone by JPJ coz engine not endorse:mad: sad and bored too much money burn..until my car sold...now time for berjimat cermat :nurse:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
spuzzle : std cams, std pulley

ehdrian : now never calculate ler, managed a trip from kl-sepang for less den 20hengget, when driven sensibly. last time was 60km for a ten hengget @180sen/liter, sumtimes2 jer boost

spuzzle

500 RPM
Aug 23, 2005
Kuantan / Perth
thx xtremeleo !!

ehdrian, a well tuned engine wouldnt consume too much fuel...my previous setup 1.5bar 370whp with an average of 10kms/litre...am happy with that fc

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
thx xtremeleo !!

ehdrian, a well tuned engine wouldnt consume too much fuel...my previous setup 1.5bar 370whp with an average of 10kms/litre...am happy with that fc
20.5 cents per km??..dat's very very save!..my 93t boost 1.2bar with stock turbine(using emanage) only manage 24cents/km..:banghead:

spuzzle

500 RPM
Aug 23, 2005
Kuantan / Perth
20.5 cents per km??..dat's very very save!..my 93t boost 1.2bar with stock turbine(using emanage) only manage 24cents/km..:banghead:
yes, about 21 cents per km...a tank of rm85 good for 400kms on average...if urban only is about 350kms, long distance can reach almost 500kms if driving 100-130kmh

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
wit the std gasket, it lasted for 2years kot, and then the head terangkat. upon opening the engine head, we found dat the gasket wasnt burnt pun, so it was the headbolt. changing to new cometic metal gasket and arp bolts, the compression was raised beyond the std spec. dis engine has been running high boost, high compression for around 2 years and counting and still performing good.

trust me bro, its not the boost dat kills engines but rather poor tuning

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

apart from the arp bolts and cometic gasket, everything else is bog std. in fact, the engine was running fine before changing those two things @ 1.7bar of strong boost
Somthing to support ur statement... Tunning and hardware, which is more important... Brain vs muscle...

STOCK D16 INTERNALS WITH ARP STUDS. WELL TUNED ACHIEVING 375WHP

It's tuned by EVANS TUNNING. One of the best in States.