Cable or hydro tranny?? Wats ur opinion?

SA6YEuro

500 RPM
Feb 24, 2004
Sin City
Visit site
Freakin confused rite now..... Help....

I m currently runnin on a B16A1 J1 cable tranny... the prob is whether i shuld convert 2 a hydro type?? The synchro prob has apparently disappeared wif a change of a thicker oil...... i hope it stays tt way.....

my onli concern is the cable tranny would b difficult 2 use esp wif heavy duty or race type clutches.....

i know the cable 1s r easier 2 maintain n lighter in weight..... some will say if no prob y change..... true oso.... sigh..... how ler???

ohya..... can the J1 accept other later gen honda LSDs?

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
- the conversion will take some time and cost from cable to hydro
- helical or newer branded LSDs would not fit into J1

but if you plan to use aftermarket racing clutch then you are indulge to get the hydro transmission, no choice.

SA6YEuro

500 RPM
Feb 24, 2004
Sin City
Visit site
j101, guess as much in terms of upgrades the hydro has a better advantage.... sigh.... how ler....

i oso notice the hydro pedals do sit lower compared 2 the cable type..... damn syiok!!

integramania

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
hi bro....there has been a few threads on this

but the hydro conversion is not an easy one and have not heard of many ppl doing so....for a track EF i think it was done

YS1 of the cable type gbox is the only one u can fit the aftermarket lsd and play with gearing...all the rest i dont think so

SA6YEuro

500 RPM
Feb 24, 2004
Sin City
Visit site
ya man! i read the other ol threads.... juz tryin my luck 2 c if theres other pioneers in this kinda hybrid.....

on assumption, a later gen tranny say fr the eg or ek will fit in the b16a1..... i mean the hybrid headaches aside.... the tranny shuld b plug n play 2 the block rite??? juz 2 cfm....

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Cable is stretchable.. that's why anything using cable for actuation usually come with adjusters to take up slack. Anyone who has a motorcycle will know this is true.

Hydraulic, if not diluted with other stuff will not compress so easily (if at all).. so more direct feel.

The fact that you can play with the piston size (in this case, the clutch master cylinder, Omnipower makes one that's supposedly decreases clutch pedal travel., but I've heard it's only left hand drive only, hoping chris will find out for sure).

There's also the cable to hydro g/box linkage in the US, but reviews are not so good.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We reported recently that Tony Fernandes has acquired British sportscar manufacturer Caterham. The Team Lotus principal did so by buying out Caterham’s previous owners, Corven Ventures, and was listed as a director of Caterham on 12 April. Nonetheless, Fernandes elected to keep Caterham’s current Managing Director, Ansar Ali, at the helm...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience