Am I too late to buy a skyline R34 GTT?

kmunz

Known Member
Jun 26, 2005
K.L
A very happy new year to all skyliners here :) like most of the bro here, i am also same as some of you guys here who love skyline since young age but unfortunately it is not easy to obtain this baby :love:
After working and saving for about 7 years, finally i MIGHT have the ability to owe the r34 GTT. before I make a any decision, i would like some of the :adore: PRO :adore: here to give some comment and guide as i am afraid I would end up wasting my hard earn saving. :(

1) would it be too late to buy a R34 GTT now due to it have been an average 10 yrs car
2) i understand that i cannot avoid repairing / refurbish this car as we know it have been 10yrs n there will be a lot wear n tear. Problem is, are spare part easily to obtain in current market?
What is the most imortant thing i need to be aware of if i were to buy this car? Current price range for this car is between 100k to 140k is a hugh gap

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
IMHO buying a car is a waste of saving, more so when u start modding hahahahah..

Buying a Skyline is like any other turbo performance car. High fuel consumption, expensive maintenance and parts comparing to ur typical runaround such as a Nissan Sentra..

There's no time limit to buy the R34.. It's just that loan and insurance nowadays is becoming harer to come by.. Parts are in abundance, it all just depends on how deep ur pocket is..

Various price range is because of modifications done to the cars.. But at the end it's a willing seller, willing buyer's market la.. Go ahead and purchase what u can afford..

What to look for in a car? I think this has been covered many times in the forum. when that fails, Google is ur friend.

Cheers..

ahle@

1,000 RPM
Jan 13, 2004
malaysia
my friend who bought new camry,civic is asking me why buy 10yrs old car like R34...but after test my car,they know the different...power excellent,4 pot brake excellent,body also excellent...

for me,R34 is still worth to buy,and is still better then many new car.

Loki

Known Member
Nov 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
whatadrive.blogspot.com
2) i understand that i cannot avoid repairing / refurbish this car as we know it have been 10yrs n there will be a lot wear n tear. Problem is, are spare part easily to obtain in current market?
You can easily source parts to refurbish the car and they don't cost an arm & a leg.

As to wear and tear, I recently had my R33 GTR undergo 3M sealant work to reduce rattles and panel rubbing. Feels like a brand new car.

Last edited:

gobiz2

Known Member
Nov 11, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Just my humble opinion, be careful if you need to finance a large portion of the car's purchase price.

Firstly the price is expected to drop since it is approaching the cut-off age for financing ie around 10 years. So you may suffer quite bad depreciation.

Secondly, if by an unfortunate circumstance you need to re-sell the car, you'll need to cover the finance charges which can amount to a significant amount.

HOWEVER, if you have the ability to comfortably run the car, then a r34 gtt is a superb car to own. Parts and mechanics are plentiful and you can shop around. You can even buy parts from overseas, I've done it and it's easy.

I saw a complete engine lantai rb26 selling for RM3800. rb25s will be even cheaper. In fact, both rb25s and rb26s mildly modded can be great fun. My first skyline was a r33 gts25t (rb25) and it was superfun even in auto.

It depends also on what you actually want...pure performance, good looks or a mixture of both. For pure performance, I find that cefiros are good value for money because you can buy them very cheap and then install whatever huge horsepower engine you like. The r34 skyline is a headturner and can impress many chicks, but remember that it's a 100k+ car. If you have cash, r32 and r33 skylines also offer great value...but I must reiterate cash because they cannot be financed.

kmunz

Known Member
Jun 26, 2005
K.L
IMHO buying a car is a waste of saving, more so when u start modding hahahahah..

Buying a Skyline is like any other turbo performance car. High fuel consumption, expensive maintenance and parts comparing to ur typical runaround such as a Nissan Sentra..

There's no time limit to buy the R34.. It's just that loan and insurance nowadays is becoming harer to come by.. Parts are in abundance, it all just depends on how deep ur pocket is..

Various price range is because of modifications done to the cars.. But at the end it's a willing seller, willing buyer's market la.. Go ahead and purchase what u can afford..

What to look for in a car? I think this has been covered many times in the forum. when that fails, Google is ur friend.

Cheers..
Hi bro Temujin,
Thanks for your opinion. I do agree with u that buying a car is always a waste due to the car depreciation value n FYI, i m not thinking of heavy mod on the car as i wish to buy this car is bcoz of my long term admiration to this car :driver: therefore i think expensive cost due to that is not apply to me. I m just worry that spare part is hard to get when u need 1 n mayb u need to import direct from oversea / due to no parts, ur car need to put at the garage for months to wait for the parts arrive. Anyone encounter this b4?
When u say insurance is harder nowadays, do u mean renewing insurance will encounter problem? This is important to me as i dun wan to buy a car n later only found out cannot be renew n end up put in a showcase :confused: but if pay higher premium can settle, then it consider solved for me

my friend who bought new camry,civic is asking me why buy 10yrs old car like R34...but after test my car,they know the different...power excellent,4 pot brake excellent,body also excellent...

for me,R34 is still worth to buy,and is still better then many new car.
Bro ahle,
I should test drive ur car now coz i m in dilemma now in thibking of which car to buy.
GTT or new honda insight / city :driver:

You can easily source parts to refurbish the car and they don't cost an arm & a leg.

As to wear and tear, I recently had my R33 GTR undergo 3M sealant work to reduce rattles and panel rubbing. Feels like a brand new car.
Bro Loki,
Glad to hear that parts wont cost me my limb n easily to source. But i notice that u driving 33. issit same for 34?

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
Renewing insurance might be a problem but not impossible.. Some insurance companies are reluctant due to the car being 'hot'..

After getting the car, modding comes naturally.. It's like a disease which not many owners are immune to.. U can say u won't be modding much, but lets just see few months down the road eh?

I've had experience having my car in the shops for a few months.. Gobiz here is hibernating his car as of this moment.. Mostly waiting for parts, but not just ordinary parts la.. Aftermarket which may not be in stock locally.. If ur looking for wear n tear replacement, shud be able to source easily.. Worst case scenario, chop shop la..

Skyline vs Insight? Totally different leagues.. Why the heck and Insight? Fuel savings?

If FC is a concern, then Skylines or any turbo car for that matter is not for u. Even if u say 'eco-friendly', turbo cars ain't eco enough to bother..

If u want power and to enjoy the thrill of driving, then Skylines are right up ur alley..

kmunz

Known Member
Jun 26, 2005
K.L
Just my humble opinion, be careful if you need to finance a large portion of the car's purchase price.

Firstly the price is expected to drop since it is approaching the cut-off age for financing ie around 10 years. So you may suffer quite bad depreciation.

Secondly, if by an unfortunate circumstance you need to re-sell the car, you'll need to cover the finance charges which can amount to a significant amount.

HOWEVER, if you have the ability to comfortably run the car, then a r34 gtt is a superb car to own. Parts and mechanics are plentiful and you can shop around. You can even buy parts from overseas, I've done it and it's easy.

I saw a complete engine lantai rb26 selling for RM3800. rb25s will be even cheaper. In fact, both rb25s and rb26s mildly modded can be great fun. My first skyline was a r33 gts25t (rb25) and it was superfun even in auto.

It depends also on what you actually want...pure performance, good looks or a mixture of both. For pure performance, I find that cefiros are good value for money because you can buy them very cheap and then install whatever huge horsepower engine you like. The r34 skyline is a headturner and can impress many chicks, but remember that it's a 100k+ car. If you have cash, r32 and r33 skylines also offer great value...but I must reiterate cash because they cannot be financed.
Hi bro Gobiz2,
Thanks for ur advise n comment. This information is important to me alot. i m not so afraid on the depreciation value as i m not thinking to sell it if i buy it (my favourite car). But i m more worry on the parts / maintenance as it would become extinct. I would refurbish it stage by stage.

gobiz2

Known Member
Nov 11, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Just to provide further info., my car has hibernated for several months in the workshop due to a special build where the parts have to be sourced overseas. Furthermore I am stingy and don't want to pay for airfreight and tax, so I get my friend to carry it in her luggage when she visited Malaysia last month.

Actually even a rb26 engine transplant can be completed in 1-2 weeks.

Which brings me to my next point, if you can save a bit further, try and get a gtr34 or even a gtt34 that has gtr34 body. This will save you from the hassle of trying to sell the gtt when a nice gtr34 comes along - no disrespect to gtt34 owners, but most will feel the urge to upgrade to a gtr34 or at least install gtr34 bodykit.

kmunz

Known Member
Jun 26, 2005
K.L
Just to provide further info., my car has hibernated for several months in the workshop due to a special build where the parts have to be sourced overseas. Furthermore I am stingy and don't want to pay for airfreight and tax, so I get my friend to carry it in her luggage when she visited Malaysia last month.

Actually even a rb26 engine transplant can be completed in 1-2 weeks.

Which brings me to my next point, if you can save a bit further, try and get a gtr34 or even a gtt34 that has gtr34 body. This will save you from the hassle of trying to sell the gtt when a nice gtr34 comes along - no disrespect to gtt34 owners, but most will feel the urge to upgrade to a gtr34 or at least install gtr34 bodykit.
Bro, thanks for ur extra information. As long as getting ordinary parts have no problem, its fine for me :) currently I m not looking forward to any performance parts / special parts as my financial wont allow me. Gtr34 is juz too expensive as the price is around 200k n definitely i will be looking for a gtt with modified gtr bodykit, as current market i found that many used car have done so. If i were to by gtr, i think i would need to wait for another 7 yrs :sleep:...

Renewing insurance might be a problem but not impossible.. Some insurance companies are reluctant due to the car being 'hot'..

After getting the car, modding comes naturally.. It's like a disease which not many owners are immune to.. U can say u won't be modding much, but lets just see few months down the road eh?

I've had experience having my car in the shops for a few months.. Gobiz here is hibernating his car as of this moment.. Mostly waiting for parts, but not just ordinary parts la.. Aftermarket which may not be in stock locally.. If ur looking for wear n tear replacement, shud be able to source easily.. Worst case scenario, chop shop la..

Skyline vs Insight? Totally different leagues.. Why the heck and Insight? Fuel savings?

If FC is a concern, then Skylines or any turbo car for that matter is not for u. Even if u say 'eco-friendly', turbo cars ain't eco enough to bother..

If u want power and to enjoy the thrill of driving, then Skylines are right up ur alley..
Bro,
Agree with u too as i dun promise i wont do some mod after kena brain wash by some "devil".. Lolz

The word "hot"; do u mean is a target for thieves? Or always met accident?
I m worry i ill be one of thieves target.. Lolz

Sorry bro, i give an example as in insight / city is bcoz both of this car come next if purchasing skyline is not successful due to the price is almost same as skyline (around 100k). I m not comparing in term of the power n performance.

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
Sorry bro, i give an example as in insight / city is bcoz both of this car come next if purchasing skyline is not successful due to the price is almost same as skyline (around 100k). I m not comparing in term of the power n performance.
Even if u look it that way, Skylines are not comparable to new cars such as City and Insight.

U can't get 90% loan for Skylines. Roadtax definitely higher. U won't have warranties to parts and labour as well not to mention possibility of higher maintenance costs too..

Cheers

kmunz

Known Member
Jun 26, 2005
K.L
Wow.. This mean if i were to buy skyline, i would need to prepare huge comittment for this purchase.. Roadtax rm880.. Maintenance.. Deposit of at least 20%.. insurance.. Transfer n inspection fee..
Hmmm.. Really need to get my brain to work hard before making any decision. After receiving some of your opinion, parts i think is not an issue but problem now is seems like getting anew car is much more realistic than buying a skyline. But again, really hopw to own 1 coz is my favourite

Dr.D

500 RPM
Aug 28, 2005
Petaling Jaya
if u need to ask the question.... dont buy.. waste of money.. go buy camry.. camry goood!! if u really want and admire it.. u wont be coming with silly questions.

Blood Red

500 RPM
Jul 28, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
kmunz,

I understand where you are coming from. Not everyone is blessed with a lot of cash. Nevertheless, we still want our 'dream' car.

I admit I am one such owner. I am lucky in the sense that when I bought the car (unregistered) it didn't give me any problems aside from worn out plugs which I fixed immediately.

Basic maintenance is manageable, in my opinion, as long as you don't go crazy with your mods. My car is stock standard with the exception of the air filter and exhaust. It still has the 180kmph speed cut.

FYI, I use my car daily and it has never given up on me, Alhamdulillah.

The killer part will be when:
1. You need to renew road tax + insurance
2. When your tires wear out

For #2, if you leave it at 17", I think it is still OK. A set of 18s will cost around RM800 a pop, depending on brand etc.

Fortunately, thus far, for me, owning a R34 GTT is manageable. I had the same questions you have before I bought the car. Those are valid questions for people of our financial status (I'm assuming you don't earn that much or have supportive parents)

At the end of the day, you need to know what you are willing to sacrifice in order to own one. If you can live with that, then I suggest you go for it.

Else, get a better paying job, a sugar daddy or mama (depending on your orientation), or keep on dreaming.

Good luck bro!

potato

Known Member
Oct 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Do not give up the dream like most of us do, if you really want a good car buy it, just make sure it's in good condition, remember a sports car that cannot run is worst than a kancil.

If Skyline is not your only dream car, there's alot of other good cars that's around the price range with lower maintenance, Evo 7, Silvia Spec R, Subaru WRX STi V8, these are all 2.0 so road tax are lower, insurance are also lower, Evo like Skylines have many parts available, same for Silvias.

There's also other good but older cars like GTO, R32, R33, Supra, RX-7, these maybe abit old and prone to parts replacements but nontheless still great cars. Money saved buying these cheaper cars can be used for repairs & upgrades.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey guys,
need you all some advice here!:hmmmm:

Recenly i just block by police...
hey said my Mivec top with ori putra need a Puspakom letter...becoz i'm mivec but not proon block...:mad:

God damn...:thefinger:
Grand is only written engine block #...
Never mentioned no matter turbo or mivec or Vtec!
Since my block sill ori...definately will be safe ya!?!?!?

So they say need to pull my car to JPJ!!!:mad:

Any experience???
Pls share ya! ;) :biggrin:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience