advice needed for buying a modified car...

94brian

Nov 3, 2014
hey guys!hello! i'm new here! :biggrin:
alittle introduction of myself,20yo,stay in malacca,previously own a Viva with minor performance mods(exhaust,plugs,air filter,shocks) till 1 night i fell asleep and crashed into trees,the whole engine fly out 10 meters away :driver: :banghead: :P i were fine tho just broke my arm and ankle but my car were not :P

so long story short,i'm planing to buy a proton satria with 4g63t VR4 about 12-15k.i'm able to claim about 23k from insurance company,so let's say if the car cost 15k i'm still have 8k+ to maintain/repair the car...or mod :P
for the question,please give me some guide and advise what i should and shouldn't do,i'm totally new at this!and its always my dream to be part of motorsport and drive a 300bhp turbo car :P it also my 1st time to go for a turbo car.

1. how do i test drive the car to see if the engine/suspension/transmission is reliable?
  2. does satria wins high speed stability and cornering compare to wira?
  3. what to avoid from blowing things up? i only know those basic things like changing engine oil frequently,never rev when engine still cold etc :(
  4. what's the limit with turbo?can i pedal to the metal for whole 1 hour with lets say 1bar boost without damaging the engine?,how long is too long before i blow things off?
  5. and for the boost,does lower the boost,the safer it is?can i switch to 0.8bar boost for daily drive and 1.5bar for aggressive drive constantly with boost controller?
  6. does turbocharged engine always have to feed it with atleast ron97?how to find out a modified engine's knocking index?
  7. how much is the average annual maintenance cost?
  8. final question,just a survey,you guys ever blow up your turbo?if so,how many?
that's all my question for now altho i still have plenty of performance and safety questions to ask :P
thanks all! and sorry for my bad english :P

EDIT: oh yeah,actually i have multiple option,should i go for VR4 or GSR? FC,Reliable and spare part easy to find wise...

Last edited by a moderator:

peeche

Known Member
May 16, 2006
Sin City, MY
1st question, are you working or still a student.? But no matter what, did you able to sort out another 2/3 more expenses on fuel, maintenance, and time to visit garage/workshop? If yes, then it might be a good news for you.

Another thing, if you try to drive the car same way as viva, you might ended up blowing the engine in the 1st minute of your excitement or you and your 4g63t flew 100 meters away from the car.

A real car enthusiast, mods not to show off on road. They drive properly, follow the laws, rarely "belanja" here and there as they love their car very much. Instead they will show their car and driving potential in track days or drag events.

issuzark

500 RPM
Sep 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Bad news, but I'm afraid 4G63's aren't allowed in Satria's and in most Wira's. There's now a 30% transplant limit to your original displacement. Though there still are people who register their 4G63's as 4G67's, but that'll just be troublesome every time you get stopped by the police and yada, someone correct me here?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bad news, but I'm afraid 4G63's aren't allowed in Satria's and in most Wira's. There's now a 30% transplant limit to your original displacement. Though there still are people who register their 4G63's as 4G67's, but that'll just be troublesome every time you get stopped by the police and yada, someone correct me here?
Wira 1.8 falls within limit but seems not allowed also. I think only the Perdana are allowed....:driver:

Bro. 94brian,
If going ahead as planned make sure you are able to legally transfer to your name. If not, you will have more headache.....:hmmmm:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
very rarely u can find a satria with 4g63t block, usually using 4g67t block (1.8). so ensure to check thoroughly, ask the owner did he change halfcut or engine kosong & slowly add on parts by parts? it does make a huge difference when it comes to changing parts, some of them "rojak" their engine aka mix & match.

p/s: should give yourself a smack on the head for sleeping when driving. :stupid:

issuzark

500 RPM
Sep 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
very rarely u can find a satria with 4g63t block, usually using 4g67t block (1.8). so ensure to check thoroughly, ask the owner did he change halfcut or engine kosong & slowly add on parts by parts? it does make a huge difference when it comes to changing parts, some of them "rojak" their engine aka mix & match.

p/s: should give yourself a smack on the head for sleeping when driving. :stupid:
4g67's are kinda rare by themselves, no? Makes me wonder if I can somehow sneak a 4g63 in my little 1.5 Wira. :biggrin: Or a 4g67?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
hey guys!hello! i'm new here! :biggrin:
alittle introduction of myself,20yo,stay in malacca,previously own a Viva with minor performance mods(exhaust,plugs,air filter,shocks) till 1 night i fell asleep and crashed into trees,the whole engine fly out 10 meters away :driver: :banghead: :P i were fine tho just broke my arm and ankle but my car were not :P

so long story short,i'm planing to buy a proton satria with 4g63t VR4 about 12-15k.i'm able to claim about 23k from insurance company,so let's say if the car cost 15k i'm still have 8k+ to maintain/repair the car...or mod :P
for the question,please give me some guide and advise what i should and shouldn't do,i'm totally new at this!and its always my dream to be part of motorsport and drive a 300bhp turbo car :P it also my 1st time to go for a turbo car.

1. how do i test drive the car to see if the engine/suspension/transmission is reliable?
  3. what to avoid from blowing things up? i only know those basic things like changing engine oil frequently,never rev when engine still cold etc :(
  4. what's the limit with turbo?can i pedal to the metal for whole 1 hour with lets say 1bar boost without damaging the engine?,how long is too long before i blow things off?
  5. and for the boost,does lower the boost,the safer it is?can i switch to 0.8bar boost for daily drive and 1.5bar for aggressive drive constantly with boost controller?
  6. does turbocharged engine always have to feed it with atleast ron97?how to find out a modified engine's knocking index?
  8. final question,just a survey,you guys ever blow up your turbo?if so,how many?
that's all my question for now altho i still have plenty of performance and safety questions to ask :P
thanks all! and sorry for my bad english :P

EDIT: oh yeah,actually i have multiple option,should i go for VR4 or GSR? FC,Reliable and spare part easy to find wise...
First of all, don't use multiple colours - damn hard to read. I edited and added numbers, easier to read.

2ndly, a heavy engine like 4G63T in a Satria will make it front heavy plus it's going to be a hassle to pass puspakom for ownership transfer with JPJ. You're better off buying a Satria GTI with the stock 4G93 engine and modding it yourself.

To answer your questions :
    Test drive it lor. Any weird noises or hard to engage gear means you'll have a hefty gearbox repair bill. Most cases 300bhp+ on wheel, the stock gearbox will not last. I haven't come across any stock GB that was built for that sort of power.
    Long wheel base (Wira) vs short wheel base with no tail, no fight. Stability goes to Wira.
    Do you really want a 300bhp+ car then? I think you'll have your hands full with a 180bhp car. No offense but if that's all you know, you better don't drive heavily modified cars that require a lot more TLC.
    See #3 And Turbo's biggest enemy is heat. Go google that.
    Switching sure. But whether the car can handle 1.5bar is a different question.
    See #3
    Totally depends on the car. The more heavily modified it is, the higher the cost. Or rather, the more horsepower it has the higher the cost of maintenance. Especially since you're pushing an engine to go beyond it's capabilities (modifications) unless you're talking about buying a car that comes with 300bhp+ stock. But I don't think RM24k can get a car with that sort of stock power.
    See #3 And the other thing is everyone here really loves their cars. Most of the time they blow things up only when someone screws up the tuning or over modifies their cars, but that's usually the GB exploding, not the turbos.
For Wira's, Putras and Satrias, make sure you find the c99 chassis. That chassis was designed to take a little more punch and kicking compared to the 1.3/1.5/1.6 chassis'. If you buy a modified 1.5/1.6 transplanted with a 2.0, check for chassis damage. And because of the age of 4Gxx cars, check for accident damage. If you don't know how to do these checks, pay your reliable friendly mechanic to help you check or bring along a friend who knows what he's doing.

Anyway good luck with your car sourcing.

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

4g67's are kinda rare by themselves, no? Makes me wonder if I can somehow sneak a 4g63 in my little 1.5 Wira. :biggrin: Or a 4g67?
4G63 can be done but can't be endorsed. You'll be running a risk in case you get into an accident. 4G67 are rare but not impossible to find. Can fit the 4G63 head onto it too.

issuzark

500 RPM
Sep 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
First of all, don't use multiple colours - damn hard to read. I edited and added numbers, easier to read.

2ndly, a heavy engine like 4G63T in a Satria will make it front heavy plus it's going to be a hassle to pass puspakom for ownership transfer with JPJ. You're better off buying a Satria GTI with the stock 4G93 engine and modding it yourself.

Test drive it lor. Any weird noises or hard to engage gear means you'll have a hefty gearbox repair bill. Most cases 300bhp+ on wheel, the stock gearbox will not last. I haven't come across any stock GB that was built for that sort of power.
    Long wheel base (Wira) vs short wheel base with no tail, no fight. Stability goes to Wira.
    Do you really want a 300bhp+ car then? I think you'll have your hands full with a 180bhp car. No offense but if that's all you know, you better don't drive heavily modified cars that require a lot more TLC.
    See #3
    Totally depends on the car. The more heavily modified it is, the higher the cost. Or rather, the more horsepower it has the higher the cost of maintenance. Especially since you're pushing an engine to go beyond it's capabilities (modifications) unless you're talking about buying a car that comes with 300bhp+ stock. But I don't think RM24k can get a car with that sort of stock power.
    See #3 And the other thing is everyone here really loves their cars. Most of the time they blow things up only when someone screws up the tuning or over modifies their cars, but that's usually the GB exploding, not the turbos.
For Wira's, Putras and Satrias, make sure you find the c99 chassis. That chassis was designed to take a little more punch and kicking compared to the 1.3/1.5/1.6 chassis'. If you buy a modified 1.5/1.6 transplanted with a 2.0, check for chassis damage. And because of the age of 4Gxx cars, check for accident damage. If you don't know how to do these checks, pay your reliable friendly mechanic to help you check or bring along a friend who knows what he's doing.

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

4G63 can be done but can't be endorsed. You'll be running a risk in case you get into an accident. 4G67 are rare but not impossible to find. Can fit the 4G63 head onto it too.
If cant be endorsed it means Im running risks during police checks and accidents. :bawling:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
My sincere opinion, don't buy that satria with 300bhp... instead start with a satria neo 1.6.. I know young blood like your age like adrenaline.. but bear in mind, a 300bhp car is not really easy to handle especially when you were so used to viva's power... try driving a kenari/kelisa with K3VET first.. then slowly upgrade.. like what other bros said, if this car you were to bang on the tree while sleeping, guess not only the whole engine will fly 100 meters, but also the driver itself... because you will tend to drive even faster....

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching

See #3

hurm:hmmmm::hmmmm: i thought 4g63 evo gearbox is robust and able to handle 300whp??

and for the thread starter,before getting the car, u need to consider few things

1.) you need extra knowledge and care to know the modified car you get, else you need to learn the hard way like i had gone through before, kena conned so many times and small stuff spoil also need people's help, until i learn myself and well enough to be a part time basic mechanic:driver:

2.) you sure the car suit your driving style and situation? you can handle it well? 4g63 is bulletproof but will become fragile if the driver dunno how to take care of it.. boosting all the way for 1 hour? you gonna be kidding me kid, i once in your situation before, i know how you feel like wanna be fast like show in the movie, modified car and fast car is a show off machine, but i learn this a hard way also:banghead:....

from what i see from your post, u better gt a satria gti with oem 4g93 or other satria or wira with 4g92 mivec... then you start learn bit from bit and mod bit from bit there.. power wise and will be more robust then a forced induction... but still, if you wanna keep revving 5k and above for one hour:stupid:.... god bless you:biggrin:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

My ex colleague did it. 4G63T port and polished, balanced and so on, reached 340bhp, then totaled it. Showed me the pictures and I was thinking how was it possible he is alive....:hmmmm:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

SUBANG JAYA: A 28-year-old computer engineering assistant, who was hit on the head with a steering wheel lock two days ago, succumbed to his injuries at Kuala Lumpur Hospital (HKL).

Muhammad Nazri Ismail, who is a member of the Umno Youth branch in Jalan Kenanga, Cheras, died at about 1.30am yesterday. He had a deep gash at the back of the head.

Subang Jaya deputy OCPD Supt Kamal Rosli Skymmar A. Wahab Skymmar said that at 8.30am on Tuesday, the public alerted police that a man had been...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience