Advice for Suspension Replacment

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
Dear all,

Referring to the attached document, please advise what will be the most viable move given that the car is having a mileage of 80k km:
  1. replace the absorbers only
  2. replace the whole assembly and the absorbers
  3. opt out and source for sport absorbers
  4. opt out and source for coilovers disregarding all the stock assembly.
SC has been recommending to change the whole assembly and absorbers at a total cost of RM 1k which I felt that it is not worthwhile. This is because the stock suspension doesn't quite live up to its "lotus ride and handling"

Attachments

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
It depends on what you want, but in your closing statement you already cancel out 1. and 2.
3. your spring rate may not match the sports absorbers, therefore leaving choice No:4....... :smokin:

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
okay. However, is it customary to change parts like top cover, bump stopper and etc when I swap in new sport absorbers?
What turns me off is that proton requires a deposit and a downtime of 3 days to replace the stock absorbers, which is absurd. Hence, I felt that it is not worthwhile in this process.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
okay. However, is it customary to change parts like top cover, bump stopper and etc when I swap in new sport absorbers?
What turns me off is that proton requires a deposit and a downtime of 3 days to replace the stock absorbers, which is absurd. Hence, I felt that it is not worthwhile in this process.
Usually those absorber cover and bump stop should have deteriorated after 80k km, better to changed them. Top mount better check, if not good condition change also...

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Front top mount got a bearing in them. when its removed, u can inspect the condition of the bearing. This parts should outlast the absorber but it depends on how the vehicle is used. I have seen a broken top mount bearing which was neglected and causef warped disc brakes.

Bump stopper just needs to be inspected when removing the absorber too. If its broken then replace it. Whatever you do, i strongly suggest u replaced it in pairs.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Personal opinion :

This is an Iriz. It's not made for performance use so personally - I wouldn't bother with coilovers as it'll potentially introduce new issues from all the rattling the stiffer coilovers will cause.

What I'd do is look for a good set of sportier absorbers. For Myvis for example - the original is the stock black KYBs and they are magic carpet ride-ish and wishy washy. I changed to the RS Ultra from KYB and these are about 30-40% stiffer than stock and very noticeably stiffer but without too much comfort loss. In my old ex-Wira I went to 12k - 10k springs on my coilovers which rattled the crap out of everything but let me corner like it was on rails. A lot of things started to wear so fast after that - a lot.... but anyway the other thing I'd ask you to consider is swapping to PU bushings. Not solid PU - some compliant PU like those from Superpro. That'll tighten everything up too.

Also since everything will be out - might as well change the top mounts, bump stops, ARB links, replace them all. Otherwise you'll end up paying another amount to replace it later when it needs replacement.

Why are you changing it with Proton anyway?

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
U cant expect that much for Lotus Ride & Handling la. But comparing the same type of cars from comp, Proton drives so much more better.
Yea why are u changing it at Proton? U can try KYB Ultra RS, supposedly sportier damping.
550 thereabouts for a whole set. Im getting it installed soon. If u want sportier handling, 1k is too little.

My Persona at 175k, just changed all bushings, just not tie rods.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Top mount, bump stopper, and dust cover replace based on checking. If still ok then no need to change IMHO. Based on my experience usually these can last for at least 2 absorbers lifetime for stock suspension. For lowered stiffer suspension then the bump stopper often spoiled much faster.

I agree about the KYB RS Ultra, if available for your car then go for that, good value for money to upgrade your absorbers.

minibeany

500 RPM
Apr 30, 2017
Petaling Jaya
all the solutions that you guys suggested are good. BUT owner need to get ready to pay. All these suggestions will be more than what Proton is quoting @DNGFashion.

Lotus ride and handling does not mean track and whack the corners like LOTUS sport cars. It is still an Iris which is suppose to be a comfort family car point A to B.

Reactions: parakey

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
all the solutions that you guys suggested are good. BUT owner need to get ready to pay. All these suggestions will be more than what Proton is quoting @DNGFashion.

Lotus ride and handling does not mean track and whack the corners like LOTUS sport cars. It is still an Iris which is suppose to be a comfort family car point A to B.
If replace absorbers only with KYB RS Ultra then might be able to keep it below rm1k. (If not mistaken front & rear set is around rm700-800). But if after checking need to replace other things like top mount etc. then can reach over 1k.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

where got, i have put in the price already.

Reactions: Izso

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
I was comparing all available options which then includes Proton SC. While I agree with Izso that I am not too keen to lavish on coilovers with the same reason , there are only Excel G and IMP absorbers as aftermarket absorbers for Iriz. Have you come across KYB RS Ultra for Iriz? Besides that, I pay more attention on the mounting brackets and the bearings during this process.

I don't have the metal balls to whack corners with Iriz since it is a rather tall car. :eek:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I was comparing all available options which then includes Proton SC. While I agree with Izso that I am not too keen to lavish on coilovers with the same reason , there are only Excel G and IMP absorbers as aftermarket absorbers for Iriz. Have you come across KYB RS Ultra for Iriz? Besides that, I pay more attention on the mounting brackets and the bearings during this process.

I don't have the metal balls to whack corners with Iriz since it is a rather tall car. :eek:
You'll need to ask some sellers to see if they have the RS Ultra for Iriz. They have for Exora so it should be available

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I would also stick to the KYB and OEM solution...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My car have idling problem every morning.
My gearbox is auto.
The car always have high vibration when the car stop on "D".
But this problem go away when is afternoon or at night.
There is no problem for this until i had install turbo.

Could it be:

1) at idle speed, i believe that turbo is turning and i guess there is extra air entering into engine cause too learn?
2) at idle speed, i believe that the inlet pipe is too long and cause less air, so insufficient air into engine cause...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience