Advice needed, help please!

Mell74

Known Member
Jul 26, 2005
Penang
Dear all,

I plan to buy a car with my budget of below 10k and what I found in mudah.com is

1. BMW E28 525i :driver:
2. Volvo 740 Turbo:evil:
3. Honda Inspire:dontknow:
4. Toyota Camry (1st model, Japan):dontknow:

I just need a sport family car which have a reasonable power, don't really burn your pocket for FC and doesn't make you broke to maintain. With that budget, Volvo & Inspire is newer, I mean on 90's, while BMW & Camry is in 80's. Please help me to make the right choice as this going to be my long term car!

Thanks all.:adore:

Last edited:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Dear all,

I plan to buy a car with my budget of below 10k and what I found in mudah.com is

1. BMW E28 525i :driver:
2. Volvo 740 Turbo:evil:
3. Honda Inspire:dontknow:
4. Toyota Camry (1st model, Japan):dontknow:

I just need a sport family car which have a reasonable power, don't really burn your pocket for FC and doesn't make you broke to maintain. With that budget, Volvo & Inspire is newer, I mean on 90's, while BMW & Camry is in 80's. Please help me to make the right choice as this going to be my long term car!

Thanks all.:adore:
As per Honda Inspire/Legend, I once asked in zth.. you can refer to here http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/honda/319826-wta-info-on-honda-legend-ka7-3-2-v6.html

other 3 car are proven durable... but I'm more incline to either the toyota & volvo...

...just my 2 sen....

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
everyday driving, I vote old reliable, the volvo 740.
for the additional touch of class, the BMW

I think you should seek people who know where to find parts for these cars.. unless you have a lot of free time visiting halfcut shops across malaysia.

Honda Inspire.. still running around, but parts not so easy to find, and the parts are not cheap either.

My first choice for a car to drive to work is still a kancil.. because it's cheap, and easy to maintain, and I hardly drive more than 30kms per trip with it, and most of the time I drive alone.. Why can't malaysia make up these kinds of cars with 2 doors like the mira?

Four door cars, I'd choose a more common model like a wira or something since parts are aplenty, and the maintainance is cheap. Do note this refers to the single cam versions, not the 4g series where parts are not cheap to maintain.

Car for work and car for play to me are two different things, so decide what kind of purpose you want the car for.

Last edited:

Mell74

Known Member
Jul 26, 2005
Penang
everyday driving, I vote old reliable, the volvo 740.
for the additional touch of class, the BMW

I think you should seek people who know where to find parts for these cars.. unless you have a lot of free time visiting halfcut shops across malaysia.

Honda Inspire.. still running around, but parts not so easy to find, and the parts are not cheap either.

My first choice for a car to drive to work is still a kancil.. because it's cheap, and easy to maintain, and I hardly drive more than 30kms per trip with it, and most of the time I drive alone.. Why can't malaysia make up these kinds of cars with 2 doors like the mira?

Four door cars, I'd choose a more common model like a wira or something since parts are aplenty, and the maintainance is cheap. Do note this refers to the single cam versions, not the 4g series where parts are not cheap to maintain.

Car for work and car for play to me are two different things, so decide what kind of purpose you want the car for.
Thanks bro for your reply. I was think of the Volvo 740 too.. because it have the space, comfort and the sporty look rather than the 240's but what worry me the maintenance, would it really going to make me broke? And the FC as well. According to the carreview.com many of the BMW owner said the 525i is much better in term of the FC and maintenance! Now that something that need to be consider, don't u think?

If I going to get a 2nd car than I don't mind to have a Kancil or Wira but I'm looking for all in one car right now!:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

As per Honda Inspire/Legend, I once asked in zth.. you can refer to here http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/honda/319826-wta-info-on-honda-legend-ka7-3-2-v6.html

other 3 car are proven durable... but I'm more incline to either the toyota & volvo...

...just my 2 sen....
Thanks bro, the last post is talking about the Honda Legend but I'm considering Inspire. It's the same between them? I would prefer continental car instead of Jap's and looks like you too chose Volvo ya... I need to get more vote!!:itsme:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Yup, both share the same platform... even share with Rover 800 during the 90s....

If you want a 740, better go for the wagon version... insane amount of boot space...

p/s: a tips, for volvo, look for kelfo... he always sell volt stabilizer in zth and a avid user of volvo...

Thanks bro for your reply. I was think of the Volvo 740 too.. because it have the space, comfort and the sporty look rather than the 240's but what worry me the maintenance, would it really going to make me broke? And the FC as well. According to the carreview.com many of the BMW owner said the 525i is much better in term of the FC and maintenance! Now that something that need to be consider, don't u think?

If I going to get a 2nd car than I don't mind to have a Kancil or Wira but I'm looking for all in one car right now!:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Thanks bro, the last post is talking about the Honda Legend but I'm considering Inspire. It's the same between them? I would prefer continental car instead of Jap's and looks like you too chose Volvo ya... I need to get more vote!!:itsme:

Mell74

Known Member
Jul 26, 2005
Penang
Bro,

in the carriview.com they said the wagon fc is very high... I would love to have the wagon type but read about it make me scared!!

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
really? my uncle who is die hard volvo fan says fc is high for wagon body but not that much compared with sedan...

but for me, the high fc is acceptable given how much stuff you can put... I can go to my wife's kampung during musim buah... load everything up and sell them when reaching kl hahahahha

Mell74

Known Member
Jul 26, 2005
Penang
really? my uncle who is die hard volvo fan says fc is high for wagon body but not that much compared with sedan...

but for me, the high fc is acceptable given how much stuff you can put... I can go to my wife's kampung during musim buah... load everything up and sell them when reaching kl hahahahha
I totally agreed with you.. thanks for the tips bro..:smokin:

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Wonder if there's any workshop can transform 740 to this..
YouTube - Hedberg Production - Brutal 740

make more fun to own 740

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
it seems that your objective is getting wilder dear friend.... maybe after seeing that many smokes hahaha

dulu ada benkel specilizing in volvo performance but heard it kinda died... pls pm kelfo on this...

...one article for your reading pleasure Volvo 740/940 Tuning Guide - 740/940 Engine Tuning - 740/940 Turbo

p/s: been dreaming of owning volvo 240 with 740 engines...

I totally agreed with you.. thanks for the tips bro..:smokin:

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Wonder if there's any workshop can transform 740 to this..
YouTube - Hedberg Production - Brutal 740

make more fun to own 740

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I'm sorry.. but if your budget is low and you're looking for sporty, FC good and cheap to maintain.... no such car exists.

- Old cars are prone to higher maintenance.
- Most 2nd hand cars require a major service for peace of mind (unless you're buying from a reliable source).
- European cars are expensive to maintain regardless of age and model.
- All of those cars you listed are above 2L or at 2L, meaning even with the lightest foot you probably can do 10km/L at best city drive.
- Older cars are more prone to rust.
- You don't know the history of the old car (flooded car, timing belt putus aftermath car, etc).

Personally, if I were looking for a long term car that won't cost an arm and a leg to maintain whilst being comfy and reasonably nice to drive, I'd buy new. But if I had to choose between those cars, I'd go for the Camry.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi,

radiator fan motor speed is usually controlled by resistor which controls the electric flow to fan motor, can we somehow modify current motor to spin at higher rate? i.e set to lower resistor so more current into the motor and it will spin faster?

any disadvantage of doing this if possible?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience