Bolt on Turbo for 4G92P SOHC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
since 92p has high compression, high boost is not recommended :)
u get .6 bar daily driven + reliable also happy liao

contreasjun27

9,000 RPM
Oct 21, 2004
subang
Visit site
this is currently my project for the past few months..

a 4g92p sohc auto... now i`m collecting stuff to make it comes true.

my item currently..

td04 gsr with manifold
450cc injector (vr4)
safc2 blue screen
gsr standard intercooler with piping
gsr air-flow sensor
38mm ala2 tial wastegate
metal gasket
fuel reg
bov

now waitin for money to install it.. not changing the piston coz not enough $$ yet..
1 more thing try to get DOHC head....better to play or mod in the future

contreasjun27

9,000 RPM
Oct 21, 2004
subang
Visit site
Thanks for your input bro. It's not about having a super powerful car to drive... Sometimes It's about the learning process going on par with the car developement progress...

Well, I would like to play around with stock before I actually go for transplant. Unless, the cost of transplant is significantly lower compare to modification.
i'm not talking like a full transplant here u can do like witch13...which u collect the stuff and do things step by step...thats how u learn the process of car development stages

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
just change the piston bro...GSR piston not that expensive...
it is better for you to change coz it will last your BOT better or more healty engine...
Thanks bro for the advise. But one of my friends are also doing BOT. But he's using 4G91 DOHC. So he collecting all GSR item for bolt on. GSR TURBO manifold, GSR Intake, GSR TB, GSR Intercooler, everthing GSR...

Can I do the same for my 4G92P SOHC..? How about the ECU..?

Last edited:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Hmm, heard it's not easy to BOT on a 4G92P SOHC... But I'd still like to try the best out of STOCK... Not looking for high boost... Just 0.6-0.7 bar max...

Plz help..

witch13

500 RPM
Dec 20, 2004
Thanks bro for the advise. But one of my friends are also doing BOT. But he's using 4G91 DOHC. So he collecting all GSR item for bolt on. GSR TURBO manifold, GSR Intake, GSR TB, GSR Intercooler, everthing GSR...

Can I do the same for my 4G92P SOHC..? How about the ECU..?
better using the wiring and the gsr ecu also.. dun`t for the the air flow sensor .

witch13

500 RPM
Dec 20, 2004
Hmm, heard it's not easy to BOT on a 4G92P SOHC... But I'd still like to try the best out of STOCK... Not looking for high boost... Just 0.6-0.7 bar max...

Plz help..
0.6-6.7 bar consider high lol.... need to play with the compression example metal gasket..low compression piston(b8,4azge or gsr piston):biggrin:

Yee

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Anton Lavey
Better get urself a 4g93T..less hassle and headache. Btw..i don't think ur stock clutch will last long after u've turbocharge ur engine. There're lot of hidden cost which u'll not know till u started. :proud:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
0.6-6.7 bar consider high lol.... need to play with the compression example metal gasket..low compression piston(b8,4azge or gsr piston):biggrin:
Yeah, already ordered a 1.5mm metal gasket. This is flexible because one of my friend is working in a metal gasket shop. Forgotten the name of the shop. With a 1.5 metal gasket, I manage to reduce the compression ratio to 8.67:1. And I've just got myself 4 pieces of GTI pistons. They are flat top, so compression is going to be lower than my stock roof top pistons. They might b able to further bring down my compression ratio. Maybe 8.5:1 or less.

Better get urself a 4g93T..less hassle and headache. Btw..i don't think ur stock clutch will last long after u've turbocharge ur engine. There're lot of hidden cost which u'll not know till u started. :proud:
Yaa... but not easy to bear sekali 10K+. And I like the 4G92 block. Dunno, got kam ching already... Planning to try out BR clutch or exedy. Heard BRClutch is performing quite well.

witch, items are almost complete for my first stage BOT. Just e-manage, boost meter, boost controller and installation. Planning to install in October...

How about U..? Ready to go..?

witch13

500 RPM
Dec 20, 2004
Yeah, already ordered a 1.5mm metal gasket. This is flexible because one of my friend is working in a metal gasket shop. Forgotten the name of the shop. With a 1.5 metal gasket, I manage to reduce the compression ratio to 8.67:1. And I've just got myself 4 pieces of GTI pistons. They are flat top, so compression is going to be lower than my stock roof top pistons. They might b able to further bring down my compression ratio. Maybe 8.5:1 or less.

Yaa... but not easy to bear sekali 10K+. And I like the 4G92 block. Dunno, got kam ching already... Planning to try out BR clutch or exedy. Heard BRClutch is performing quite well.

witch, items are almost complete for my first stage BOT. Just e-manage, boost meter, boost controller and installation. Planning to install in October...

me? still collecting stuff ma... maybe next month or before raya will settle the thing

evo5755

Known Member
Jan 11, 2004

Speed2horizon....

1.6 BOT project. Nice... Seems like you have read alot in the net or magazines as you are talking about compression ratio. But you need to read more or gain experience in turbocharging before you do anything. And i can guarantee you, in the end you will be spending more than transplanting GSR halfcut ...:biggrin:

Just ask yourself why you want to add BOT? Just for added accelaration? If yes you can go BOT. If you want to go for high horsepower, maximum horsepower, and bla bla...just dont waste your time on BOT. meaning less you spent on BOT, might as well go for transplant.

Do study more what is compression ratio and how to calculate it, rather than guessing what is compression ratio that you need. Changing GTI "flat" pistons wont do you any good for turbocharging. The engines components arent designed for turbocharging but for NA application. Running at 0.6bar, it's a matter of time when your engine give way due to the stress of the forced induction to your piston, conrod, bearing and crankshaft. And perhaps you will increase your boost as you crave for more. That is human's behaviour hehe

I had a friend that turbocharged his NA honda had the pistons flew out from the engine...:P

Good luck with your project.

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
evo5755 agree on ya , do a BOT if u want to go for slight power adder
if u tend to go for high power , then of cos it will cost more than a turbo halfcut , it will sure be less reliable if not done properly , lot of time taken , cash of cos more, at the end of the road of BOT is Turbo block :P and etc all from the turbo halfcut , i find even the GSR 93T not worthit for its price , even more if it is a BOT , a Evo 1 is around 6k , transplant and jpj kawtim would be around 4k , and the evo1 will eat the BOT's and 93T's for lunch even though amount spent on the non evo is higher , yeahhh for sure u can fit bigger turbos and stuff to add power to that 93 , but just watch how reliable it is :D , but if u r doing for fun or for knowledge, go ahead, its a good expensive experience hehehehe

an example
a BOT project starts with a 92p SOHC -> then 93 block -> mod to 93t pistons , conrod , crank -> mivec head or gsr head -> break the block -> find gsr fresh block -> install management -> still call it a BOT ? "siapa makan cili dia la rasa pedas" , i know many have already opted to gsr blocks , ecu , injectors , etc , but they wont popup and admit it , cos they want to remain as a BOT powered car

i know for sure a joker would reply to me after this
"my friend got this" , "my friend running that " bollocks , i been running turbo's for years and broken uncountable blocks on my journey for knowledge

Last edited:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Speed2horizon....

1.6 BOT project. Nice... Seems like you have read alot in the net or magazines as you are talking about compression ratio. But you need to read more or gain experience in turbocharging before you do anything. And i can guarantee you, in the end you will be spending more than transplanting GSR halfcut ...:biggrin:

Just ask yourself why you want to add BOT? Just for added accelaration? If yes you can go BOT. If you want to go for high horsepower, maximum horsepower, and bla bla...just dont waste your time on BOT. meaning less you spent on BOT, might as well go for transplant.

Do study more what is compression ratio and how to calculate it, rather than guessing what is compression ratio that you need. Changing GTI "flat" pistons wont do you any good for turbocharging. The engines components arent designed for turbocharging but for NA application. Running at 0.6bar, it's a matter of time when your engine give way due to the stress of the forced induction to your piston, conrod, bearing and crankshaft. And perhaps you will increase your boost as you crave for more. That is human's behaviour hehe

I had a friend that turbocharged his NA honda had the pistons flew out from the engine...:P

Good luck with your project.

Thanks for the input bro... I know how comrpession ratio is being calculate. The figure was not a figure plugged from the sly or somewhere... It's by calculation...

Thanks for being concern and worried about my engine... I also understand the theory behind all the stresses that will be faced by the pistons, crank and conrod. Including the block and head itself... I am a person whom strongly stands on the engineering side. Just like 4G93 and 4G93t engines. They are designed to take different load and worked under different envronment... Oil squirter and the low compression pistons with internal offset are very good examples of the same engien but different application..

However, I've already learn and prepare to face the worse consequences... There are few reasond why I'll go for BOT.
1) Enjoying the improvement and collection of item. As through this way, I learn more...
2)Would like to go around and learn about how things work in practical application compare to theory.
3) can hang around and play aournd and understand more about the limit of an engine before transplanting into a more power engine...
4) Can delay the prooject if necessary, e.g. no money. U pay part by part. Not like transplant. Have to pay everything upon installation.

Anyway, thanks for the input again...

evo5755

Known Member
Jan 11, 2004
Thanks for the input bro... I know how comrpession ratio is being calculate. The figure was not a figure plugged from the sly or somewhere... It's by calculation...

Thanks for being concern and worried about my engine... I also understand the theory behind all the stresses that will be faced by the pistons, crank and conrod. Including the block and head itself... I am a person whom strongly stands on the engineering side. Just like 4G93 and 4G93t engines. They are designed to take different load and worked under different envronment... Oil squirter and the low compression pistons with internal offset are very good examples of the same engien but different application..

However, I've already learn and prepare to face the worse consequences... There are few reasond why I'll go for BOT.
1) Enjoying the improvement and collection of item. As through this way, I learn more...
2)Would like to go around and learn about how things work in practical application compare to theory.
3) can hang around and play aournd and understand more about the limit of an engine before transplanting into a more power engine...
4) Can delay the prooject if necessary, e.g. no money. U pay part by part. Not like transplant. Have to pay everything upon installation.

Anyway, thanks for the input again...
Speed Horizon,

Well, if you want to learn more by paying more, perhaps you can go for it..Good if you knwo the engineering side. I have great interest in cars and previously was working in manufacturing section supplying metal parts for Toyota and Perodua...:) Trust me the testing and stuff really have alot of reasons behind it.

What you can see is oil squirter and bla bla...what you cant see is material properties and how it varies among each other. What is forged and semi forged and cast iron. Even cast iron have different stregth,mettalurgy and so on...ok i think i talk too much on this hehehe

The spec that japanese had was designed and tested for NA. If you want to go step by step for BOT, i would recommend at least you change to turbocharged spec pistons(not some na piston) and race bearing before you start all project. Think it would be safe then. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just got 1 bottle of Tufoil from Tesco to try it out wonder if it's genuine.

Are Tufoil attracted to magnetic force?
I'm probably going to add a strong magnet on my oil filter and if Tufoil is attracted to magnets, then it'll be wasteful if I do that.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience