How does Proton's Design Department Works?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I am asking a SERIOUS question, not bashing, cause I am very curious HOW a car that looks like this, gets approved. Anybody inside Proton here or knows the inner workings?

Cause I am wonder who is the guy who signed the dotted line and approved this

And for the younger generation, you may not have seen this abomination before, but I am even more curious to [strike]run over the guy[/strike] find out who approved this

Now... every time i see this I feel like ramming it, cause its like, really ugly. Launched in 2012.. in 2012..look at Hyundai's designs.. look at Audi's designs, the BMW F chassis. Seriously? This is something you'd approve? Seriously, if you copied the 2011 Mazda 6 rear it'll look 10x nicer.

I am honestly asking, because I cannot understand why the parent company who owns a company who can come out with this makes crap as above

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Yes, Satria Neo is very nice, but I can't sit inside with my back straight cause my head would be buried in the roof - the designer was a midget? I got nothing against midgets, but seriously, majority of the population in the world are not midgets. The Saga is a nice inoffensive design, reminds me a lot of the first gen Vios.

Otherwise, Proton gets 99% of their designs wrong. Even the new Suprima, the rear design makes the car looks wide/fat..

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I remember my proton showroom visit to test Proton Neo was a huge disapointment (without even needing to start the engine).
In the driver seat, my head already rubbing the headliner.

How would proton convince a customer like me to buy their car?

From that point onward, I really suspect the car interior designer was a Makcik midget.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
proton design is really good...

the main culprit was the manager approve or not..say supplier kenot do this design la apalan la

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Maybe you can spare the odd Juara because it is a Japanese Kei car which is not even salable in Japan.
But most of the Proton car designs are very disappointing even to the makcik. There are a lot of mismatches in terms of body design. It has to be the Proton chief designer's incompetency.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Ixeo : It's just a rebadge from what I recall. Not their own design. Only Neo, Preve and Waja is their own

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Send your resume to Proton.

I doubt anybody here knows how the flow chart is. Although indirectly, they made at least one good car, the GTi

nadziad

Known Member
May 14, 2011
johor
what i heard the designer for satria neo is a malaysian girl..so i assumed the car interior height was the girl height la kot..regular malaysia girl height is about 145cm to 155 cm. if someone can reach about 160cm she can try be a model..? nhahaha:rolleyes:

dieung

Sep 16, 2009
Sarawak
Back to year 2007, I just back from oversea. My friend told me how nice is MYVI and how he like it.. I said I dun know how MYVI look like, and i just trust my friend just because the things he like sure good one. one day I saw proton SAVVY, i though that is the car he mention to me. I called my friend and screw him kaw kaw. WTF that car design???? At that moment i think that my friend really got a bad taste. At last after he show me the real MYVI... Then I know that I saw is PROTON SAVVY. If I got SAVVY in lucky draw, sure I won't show up to claim the prize.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
proton design is really good...

the main culprit was the manager approve or not..say supplier kenot do this design la apalan la
Why do you say Proton design is really good, can you share some good designs by Proton?

Correct, which is why I say I want to know who signed the dotted line the approve the design.

The Juara is actually a Mitsubishi Town box not Proton own design....
Mitsubishi Town Box - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you for the enlightenment, now I know, and readers of this thread know that the Juara is a copy of a rather unpopular vehicle by Mitsubishi.

Ixeo : It's just a rebadge from what I recall. Not their own design. Only Neo, Preve and Waja is their own
Proton Savvy is not their own? Renault engine I know, that's what the Clio and Twingo uses. But the design is definitely not Renault. Not that Renault cars are very well designed to begin with.

Send your resume to Proton.

I doubt anybody here knows how the flow chart is. Although indirectly, they made at least one good car, the GTi
They didn't make the GTi, Mitsubishi did, then they made the bodykit. LOL.

Frankly speaking, I would love to work in Proton, the first thing I will most definitely do is not renew all the contracts with the [strike]cronies[/strike] suppliers, and seek out partnerships with other car manufacturers to share a platform and engine design, much like the Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance between Hyundai, Mitsubishi and Chrysler -- I doubt anybody would say the 4B1* series of engine is bad.

Ford owns 3% of Mazda, yet Mazda still uses Ford's global platform, likewise Volvo is now owned by Geely but they still use some of Ford's platform.

One of the KEY reasons I believe why Proton doesn't want to do this is because if they do so, all the local [strike]cronies[/strike] suppliers will be cut out of the pictures since manufacturing will be shared with the allies.

Next, I will want to find out why they approve a design like Savvy and the ass of the Preve and Suprima, though the Suprima is better, Preve is unacceptable for something designed for market in 2012.

And then start planning for a Preve facelift, change the front and rear to more angular design like NSX concept and Tesla Model S. To look more futuristic. If you design a car to look like a 2012 car, it will look like a 2012 car in 2014 cause duh, it takes time to for design to actual production.

I mean, we look at ALL the cars out there, if you want to make something nice, then base/look at something nice to begin with. Just imagine when they were designing Proton Savvy, they were looking at Ferraris. They might have made something that looked like the Ferrari FF, or something close.

---------- Post added 10-25-2013 at 12:07 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was 10-24-2013 at 11:53 PM ----------

you want me to post ugly car from other manufacturers?

there's a....LOT..
Dear Sir, you are missing the point I am trying to discuss.

The thread is not about ugly cars, its about how Proton's design process (or lackthereof) works. When you OWN Lotus, and Lotus cars from this decade looks like this

and they have concept cars that look like this

How do you end up making cars that look like the Proton Savvy, or the rear of the Proton Preve and Suprima?

Here's a suggestion, fire everybody in Proton's design department, especially the guy who approved the designs. And get the people who designed Lotus concepts to design ALL the Proton cars. And Proton will start making cars that look world class but in passenger sedan and hatchback forms.

Much like the Aston Martin Rapide, the Porsche Cayenne, Porsche Panameras etc. People laughed when Porsche wanted to make a SUV, they cannot brain how can a Porsche be something as mundane as a SUV. And how can a SUV look like a Porsche? They were proven wrong.

I would honestly smack the living lights out of the designer of the Preve if he can tell me the Preve looks nicer than the Hyundai Elantra or the Kia Cerato. If you want to improve, you want to prove to the world you are better, then start comparing yourself to the world leaders, if you can't do something that is better than a BMW F30 today, then by the time you complete your car and deliver it, it would be, worst than the BMW F30 when it launches, and the F30 would probably be facelifted or obsolete by then, and your car is worst than an obsolete car. How stupid.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Once politics get involved with car manufacturing........nothing good comes out...

Just look at Malaysia's sport scene....
Just look at Malaysia's education....
Just look at Malaysia's public transportation system....
just look at Tanda Putra...

Need I say more?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi everyone.

Currently im using 195/50/15 tyre size.

But, for the next change im considering for 205/60/15 or 195/60/15.

The question is, can i use that tyre size? any pros and cons?

Reply is appreciated.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience