engine hard to start when its hot

sterling^moss

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
Malacca
Visit site
this thing is actually happens to me...i'm using civic 2005....in the morning can start easily...but after go shopping or yamca for a few minutes in the afternoon or even wanna stop for refueling....car cannot start...damn!!!....check to the mech and add some relay..it helps only for few days...problem still persist...last2 i check my battery...its 2008..hahaha...bought new battery and its all SETTLED!!!...maybe this problem vary for different cars...but y not check your battery first....
I have exactly the same problem. Had no problem with cold start, just one crank will do.But it sounded like the battery was deadwhen i cranked it after driving for a while (when the engine is warm/hot). I have to wait and crank it again, sometimes need to wait abt a minute or 2 between cranks.

I replaced my battery (Century battery) and the problem went off. 7 months after replacing the battery and the problem comes back again!

Anyone have an idea on what's wrong? weak starter perhaps? or bad alternator?

I'm driving a '04 Honda City Vtec.

Glory_manunited

Known Member
Jul 16, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Maybe can try change the cable from battery to starter??small cable cannot provide enough current to the starter so it wont make the starter to crank. Just my two cents. :flute:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I have the same issue. Except my hot starting there's crank but it won't fire up until I give it a little gas from the pedal. Cold start very fast.

So from what I gathered :

1. Fuel pump overheated / dying
2. Starter carbon running out or whole thing dying or overheated
3. Battery dying (mine is new)
4. Spark plugs (mine is new. Less than 1000km)
5. Ignition coil dying (but that would affect cold start too right?)
6. Hook the starter directly to the battery for better current flow (ok will DIY this later)

What is this relay thing I keep hearing about? How is the relay connected? I'm not sure I understand how a relay will help with the starting.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
I have the same issue. Except my hot starting there's crank but it won't fire up until I give it a little gas from the pedal. Cold start very fast.

So from what I gathered :

1. Fuel pump overheated / dying
2. Starter carbon running out or whole thing dying or overheated
3. Battery dying (mine is new)
4. Spark plugs (mine is new. Less than 1000km)
5. Ignition coil dying (but that would affect cold start too right?)
6. Hook the starter directly to the battery for better current flow (ok will DIY this later)

What is this relay thing I keep hearing about? How is the relay connected? I'm not sure I understand how a relay will help with the starting.

the additional starter relay is the number 6. solution :adore:

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
my car..when hot.. its starts..but when wanna start, the starter dies for one second. then car starts. i think starter gonna kong kot

Cronixz

Jun 11, 2007
KL
had the same problem before. found out water pump bocor... replaced and all fixed.

BlackMafia

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
hi..
im driving an perodua kancil with daihatsu l2 engine..
i having this problem 2 yerar before..and my pomen let me know it because of water sensor at engine block..after i replace it..whoalla..every thing come fine back..
try check water sensor at block..

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Interesting to know that the cooling system can effect on the starting of the engine...

For conti cars, usually its the air intake system (air-mass) malfunction that can cause the engine difficult to start...

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
wow.. 1 problem.. but the culprit is quite a lot :biggrin:

i use to have this problem on my prev car.. settle it with a 'new' engine .. hehe..

:wink:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Interesting to know that the cooling system can effect on the starting of the engine...

For conti cars, usually its the air intake system (air-mass) malfunction that can cause the engine difficult to start...
cooling system activates the auto choke if not mistaken. Cold time more fuel is pump in like in the morning.
When hot hard to start could be the fuel feed too lean or vaporizing....my 2 sens

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
cooling system activates the auto choke if not mistaken. Cold time more fuel is pump in like in the morning.
When hot hard to start could be the fuel feed too lean or vaporizing....my 2 sens
modern car normally rely on the coolant temp sensor to work perfectly

i still remember i forgot to plug in my toyota hiace van(new model) the coolant temp sensor, the car no power at all.....

found out only when i sent to UMW for service....lolz...plug it back...power is back

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The current Z project is inspired by the same video that these guys from Down Under produced. First they bought a AUD500 shell, basically a Daihatsu Mira (or Perodua Kelisa 2 door), then stripped it apart, taken out the ailing engine, dumped in a Daihatsu Mira Turbo half cut, taken out the auto gearbox and swapped them over for a manual one. Then they bling up their cars with spacers, larger rims and a nice...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience