Hard Engine Break In Method Worked Wonder

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
hi, i just want to share the result of hard engine break-in on my car which some of us may have read over the internet. It sounds controversial as compared to the traditional method of slow drive for first 1000km,

I decided to do hard engine break-in as recommended by motoman, i was convinced by the explanation and evidence provided thus i proceeded.(Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power)

recently i did compression and leak down test at N1 racing, sunway and the result was excellent. i didnt think of taking photo proof and detailed recording since i only wanted to check the status of the engine, so i only did rough and general recording for personal reference. i only thought of sharing it days after i have done the tests, otherwise i would have prepared proper recordings with photos

Compression test result:

i got an average of 180 PSI across all 3 cylinders (kelisa 1.0)

in general, results may be interpreted as below:

135 PSI and above indicates excellent compression,
below 100-120 PSI means bad,
below 85 PSI is extremely bad (severe engine mechanical problem)
but most important is to have almost same readings across all cylinders, less than 15% variation of pressures are acceptable

references to the above are below:

http://www.gregsengine.com/cylinder-compression-testing.html
Part 2 -Ford Ranger: How to Test Engine Compression (2.3L Ford).

based on the above guide, the engine excelled the compression test which underwent hard break in method.

Leak Down Test result:

all were below 5% leak. But human error (mistakes in reading meter) may happened, therefore to be safe, i will say that im very sure that the leaks for all cylinders were below 10%, this is because i did not look carefully, just needed to know that the engine is ok

leak down test result interpretation:

1. Less than 5% - You either did something wrong or have one hell of a nice tight engine.
2. 5% to 10% - Great to good. You should have no worries.
3. 10% to 20% - Your motor may still run ok, but it isn't at it's best. Parts may be starting to wear out....keep an eye on it and test it more regularly.
4. 20% to 30% - It may be (and probably is) time for a rebuild.
5. Greater than 30% - You have some major engine issues that need to be addressed.

reference:

Compression and Leak-Down Testing - DSM Forums

Conclusion:

the engine compression was superb, i needed the compression to be 135 PSI to excel and i got 180 PSI. They were way beyond the minimum baseline of being "excellent".

therefore, judging from the excellent compression, i can safely say that it is also possible that all cylinders were below 5% leak in leak down test, otherwise it may be hard to achieve 180 PSI if the leaks were high

the engine was overhauled and broken in on july 2011, and it ran both tests above in april 2014, means after 2 years 9 months, the engine is still tight.

Although, since i did not do testing for traditional breaking in method for side by side comparison, it is immature to conclude that hard break-in is better than the traditional.

But one thing for sure is hard breaking-in the engine will give you promising results and there is no harm in trying it, this is the main reason i posted this topic, to remove doubts on engine hard break-in method

My engine never makan oil till today, although to say that my engine performed better than those being traditionally broken-in are baseless as i have no proof of that.

knowing that hard break in method worked wonder is enough for me :)

Credit goes to mr. motoman for his daring ideas and ballsy statements, and to N1 racing, sunway for providing the tests.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
N1racing - Malaysia automotive and car parts and accessories supplies.

hope this benefits :)

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
hi, i just want to share the result of hard engine break-in on my car which some of us may have read over the internet. It sounds controversial as compared to the traditional method of slow drive for first 1000km,

I decided to do hard engine break-in as recommended by motoman, i was convinced by the explanation and evidence provided thus i proceeded.(Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power)

recently i did compression and leak down test at N1 racing, sunway and the result was excellent. i didnt think of taking photo proof and detailed recording since i only wanted to check the status of the engine, so i only did rough and general recording for personal reference. i only thought of sharing it days after i have done the tests, otherwise i would have prepared proper recordings with photos

Compression test result:

i got an average of 180 PSI across all 3 cylinders (kelisa 1.0)

in general, results may be interpreted as below:

135 PSI and above indicates excellent compression,
below 100-120 PSI means bad,
below 85 PSI is extremely bad (severe engine mechanical problem)
but most important is to have almost same readings across all cylinders, less than 15% variation of pressures are acceptable

references to the above are below:

Technical Articles at Greg's Engine & Machine
Part 2 -Ford Ranger: How to Test Engine Compression (2.3L Ford).

based on the above guide, the engine excelled the compression test which underwent hard break in method.

Leak Down Test result:

all were below 5% leak. But human error (mistakes in reading meter) may happened, therefore to be safe, i will say that im very sure that the leaks for all cylinders were below 10%, this is because i did not look carefully, just needed to know that the engine is ok

leak down test result interpretation:

1. Less than 5% - You either did something wrong or have one hell of a nice tight engine.
2. 5% to 10% - Great to good. You should have no worries.
3. 10% to 20% - Your motor may still run ok, but it isn't at it's best. Parts may be starting to wear out....keep an eye on it and test it more regularly.
4. 20% to 30% - It may be (and probably is) time for a rebuild.
5. Greater than 30% - You have some major engine issues that need to be addressed.

reference:

Compression and Leak-Down Testing - DSM Forums

Conclusion:

the engine compression was superb, i needed the compression to be 135 PSI to excel and i got 180 PSI. They were way beyond the minimum baseline of being "excellent".

therefore, judging from the excellent compression, i can safely say that it is also possible that all cylinders were below 5% leak in leak down test, otherwise it may be hard to achieve 180 PSI if the leaks were high

the engine was overhauled and broken in on july 2011, and it ran both tests above in april 2014, means after 2 years 9 months, the engine is still tight.

Although, since i did not do testing for traditional breaking in method for side by side comparison, it is immature to conclude that hard break-in is better than the traditional.

But one thing for sure is hard breaking-in the engine will give you promising results and there is no harm in trying it, this is the main reason i posted this topic, to remove doubts on engine hard break-in method

My engine never makan oil till today, although to say that my engine performed better than those being traditionally broken-in are baseless as i have no proof of that.

knowing that hard break in method worked wonder is enough for me :)

Credit goes to mr. motoman for his daring ideas and ballsy statements, and to N1 racing, sunway for providing the tests.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
N1racing - Malaysia automotive and car parts and accessories supplies.

hope this benefits :)
Hard breaking in doesn't sound controversial to me. In fact, the other way around hahaha.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I've never believed in slow-and-steady breaking in.

Good job proving that hard-break-ins won't kill the engine!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I've never believed in slow-and-steady breaking in.

Good job proving that hard-break-ins won't kill the engine!
So we shall arrange one day and get it done together? :love:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My car met in accident on december 15.. Btw, the accident is not my fault, its a saga from opposite lane hitting down the lamp post and the lamp post fell on my car FYI, i m driving 80 only tat time :stupid::stupid:.. the question is, should i total lost it?

Spent RM10k on bodykits and facelift

Total loss = Claim RM20k +/-

If repair it, will there be any issue as

1. Masuk Angin
2. Allignment problem
3. ??

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience