[WTA] Matt car paint / Matt car sticker / Normal Paint job

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi guys,

I've been asking a lot of people about the best choice for my humble Wira and I've gotten a lot of mixed input. Some say this no good, some say that no good, some say this expensive, some say that expensive, it's confusing.

So I'm just going to post it here and ask the ZTH public for their opinions.

I'm looking to paint my entire car army dark green (preferably matt) then highlight with red lines / stripes on the side with a custom made stick on the hood (which is besides the point).

The options I've come across is the usual matt paint and matt sticker wrap which is almost half the price of the matt paint.

Since I'm a DIY buff I want the sticker (all DIY buffs are poor buggers too) but some have told me that the stickers will eventually peel or are easily scratched, and can't be washed too much.

Matt paint also has its downside which is basically it can't be polished so it runs the risk of fading with time.

What are your thoughts and opinions? Or should I stick with the boring old original paint job with a 4k clear coat?

peeche

Known Member
May 16, 2006
Sin City, MY
if you're going with matt sticker. make sure it is high quality one. such as 3M brands. i've wrapped my car hoods 4 years ago with 3M carbon texture sticker. still fine until today. no sign of fading and peeling. just my 2 cents.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Metallic Blue BMW 5 Series Car Wrap by STICKERCITY.COM - YouTube

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Wrapping and Repainting the car, I ask before end up both also almost same price RM3K. Makes me kinda in a dilemma before..
Paint can last longer and just polish off any scratches. If sticker, can last as long as no "Itchy Hands" in public like peeling ur car sticker or putting cigarrette butt on it on purpose...

Scratch then surely gone adi...not sure can only stick one portion or not :rofl: like polishing

To me, wrapping up a new car is worth it. At least we can protect the new paint for years...
But old car, I think repainting would be a better choice. Since there will be lots of scratches everywhere...

Still very subjective to one preferences. I like sticker. Kinda nice and more choice for colours :smile:

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
from what i gather, if u put on sticker, u need to remove it max is 2 years, failing which yr base coat (original paint) might be damaged by the glue or left stains which is not easy to remove.....just my 2cents

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
from what i gather, if u put on sticker, u need to remove it max is 2 years, failing which yr base coat (original paint) might be damaged by the glue or left stains which is not easy to remove.....just my 2cents
Oh...then not wise to put sticker on new cars then...should be the other way round :smile: but 2 years kinda short...:frown:

Some said after peeling off the glue wont stick on it...will be smooth and nice? :confused:

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
3M stickers seems to be good, had mine on for 2 years and recently peeled it off to sell my car. paint still in perfect condition as if the sticker was applied yesterday.
if u DIY definitely it is cheaper..
if not DIY, it is similar pricing to a paint job due to its labour intensive involved in sticking the sticker..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Well, I plan on DIY-ing and sticker is very much cheaper. Less than 1k can buy the whole lot but I can't see what the disadvantages are other than accidental nicking of the sticker.

Danz : why paint is better than sticker?

virqai

Known Member
Dec 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Well, I plan on DIY-ing and sticker is very much cheaper. Less than 1k can buy the whole lot but I can't see what the disadvantages are other than accidental nicking of the sticker.

Danz : why paint is better than sticker?
Matt..semi gloss..look so nice,but only last for i week on me...only bcz when i want to put back all the triming and lining..wah, can see my finger print every wear...fuhh now i know why most of car with matt paint i see always clean...need to wash always ker?...hu..hu..not suit to me lor..:banghead:.then i sand it back and paint with normal 2k

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Matt..semi gloss..look so nice,but only last for i week on me...only bcz when i want to put back all the triming and lining..wah, can see my finger print every wear...fuhh now i know why most of car with matt paint i see always clean...need to wash always ker?...hu..hu..not suit to me lor..:banghead:.then i sand it back and paint with normal 2k
erkk... that's worrying. I have oily fingers. Hmm..

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Ya, from what I heard Matt Paint need extra care. Not like Metalic Paint on most of the cars on the road. Wash very frequent indeed and
like everyone said, can't be polish either. Not the type of paint where we can leave the car without car wash for 2 weeks :rofl:

Washing frequently is what I read somewhere. That's the only extra thing to do. Scratch liao I dunno what to do la :hmmmm:

Matt Sticker, a friend told me his car sticker on the bonnet kena destroy by some scumbags. Who intentionally put a cigarette head
right on its sticker...found out a hole made to the sticker...burnt..

Overall I also agree with Izso, don't see much disadvantages to Matt Sticker. At least still more cost saving than Matt Paint?

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
izso...
for me id prefer to get my car painted with matt color instead of sticking it myself, unless u get a professional to do it for u la..
if u accidentally screwed up the sticking process, u might burn your rm1k....i mean that is the risk u have to take la......try practising it 1st...ive seen alot of accs shop sticking the carbon stickers on car interiors & its quite tedious.....
but if u do plan to diy i will support u bro........:smokin:

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

paint simple......if paint the whole car.....the interior will be painted too...if sticker how to stick the inside of the car?
quite hard....

pengyu

Known Member
Sep 28, 2006
matte sticker, i've done it..no problem whatsoever, but it is not cheap.
i did it on a 1year old car, took it out after 1.5yrs - boring already, the paint underneath has no issue.

regarding matte paint, there's a clear coat without gloss effect that can protect your paint but not giving the shiny/glossy look..its the best bet if you want your car to look semi-gloss/matte but with extra protection of clear coat..
however, this is not cheap as well..

so, in my opinion, if the paint on your car right now is still good, and you want to DIY the wrapping, then go ahead with wrapping. If its less than RM1K, then i think its worth it to go for sticker + DIY. Because, if you paint it,you cant remove it if you got bored with it later..but with sticker,just peel it off!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
izso...
for me id prefer to get my car painted with matt color instead of sticking it myself, unless u get a professional to do it for u la..
if u accidentally screwed up the sticking process, u might burn your rm1k....i mean that is the risk u have to take la......try practising it 1st...ive seen alot of accs shop sticking the carbon stickers on car interiors & its quite tedious.....
but if u do plan to diy i will support u bro........:smokin:

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

paint simple......if paint the whole car.....the interior will be painted too...if sticker how to stick the inside of the car?
quite hard....
Tedious is nothing for the cheapskate DIY-er. :rofl:

And paint whole car interior will be painted too? Really? Last time I got quoted RM1700 for matt paint but no idea whether that covers inside or not. You got any recommendations? I assume I'd need to strip the car myself to get the interior done up? Do you know if they can help remove the stock sound proofing bitumen?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
this matt thingy....

go for stickers if u want cheap..but dont expect long life....

go for paint if u want long lasting effects...but pls be sure to take care your car from any source of scratch (including sandy car wash sponge)...and if it does scratch u can't polish it either... :adore:

that's the main turn-off for my original plan of my daily car... :biggrin:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Most modern engines are now electronically fuel injected and have plastic engine covers, this makes engine cleaning much easier compared to older engines with carburetors. I will show you how you can easily clean and shine a modern car's engine bay using only 2 Over-the-Counter (OTC) products.

This is a quick guide showing you how to quickly get your engine bay looking like new again. This guide is more suited towards modern cars' engine bays.

So here have have an engine bay that has never...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience