What can a plastic bag do to your car?

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
As the title suggest, have you guys wondered what can happen? Let me share something that happened to me while i was driving on the NSE last week.

I was driving at night. A plastic bag flew from the other lane to my lane. I mean its a plastic bag, what can it do? So, just drove over it. After a few seconds, a loud sound came from the engine bay. it was like a sharp screeching sound. Immediately pulled over, turned off the engine, the sound stopped and i opened the hood.

Guess what i found? A plasic bag. Where? Covering my air filter. Damn. It was so tight that it was quite difficult to remove the plastic bag from the air filter. I thought that was it and i was good to go. but i was wrong. Look what happened to my air filter.

This pic was snapped in the morning.

In the middle of the highway, at night, what am i to do? just continued driving to my destination. First thing in the morning, i got it changed. I only managed to get a Simota airr filter. I am not familiar with this brand. I've heard about it but how is it actually? It cost me RM120. I dont know if the price is reasonable. I was desperate and had to accept the offer. So how does this air filter perform? is it good, bad? here's the pic of it.

So ppl, lets educate one another not to throw plastic bags around simply because its just a plastic bag. Look at what can happen. Because we have been irresponsible, i had to go through this. I mean the plastic bag is unavoidable when u r driving especially when there are cars in front or behind u but throwing a plastic bag anywhere we like is avoidable. hehe.

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
it entered through your CAI perhaps bro?

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
i dunno la bro. maybe. i was driving quite fast to notice it. hehe. just bad luck. i surely got some bad omen on the nse. hehe.

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
your CAI became an airduct i suppose!

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
lol... i dunno la. CAI also got drawbacks now because of plastic bags??

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
maybe what you can do is DIY a wire net at the end of the CAI hose to prevent something like from happening again. And on the NSE, I feel you bro :)

p/s: lesser chance to happen on Saturday as it is a non plastic bag day :)

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
but do u really think it went throught he CAI? i mean the hole is so small, the chances of it going through it is really slim. could it have gone through from under the engine? anyway, i learned a lesson and will not take any more chances. will just do the netting.

and yes, u r right. it was not on a Saturday. happened on Monday night.

anyone has anything to say about the simota air filter i'm using now? i just find it a lil noisier. i mean the air suction sound is clearer now compared to my old apexi air filter. did i pay a reasonable price? performance?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The simota you're using lookings like a metal mesh one. Those should be pretty free flowing but filtration won't be as good as the Apexi so watch out for engine oil contamination. May want to shorten your OCI.

As for the plastic bag from the CAI - I kena a small bird before. That's why I don't use one anymore.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
wtf? u mean a small bird went through ur CAI and got stuck at ur air filter? did the poor fellow survive? hehe.

yea, that guy showed me the filter actually allows light to pass thru it unlike my apexi. means more air and more dirty air as well.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I have been debating within my self whether to change to fabric or wire mesh open pod. Well, for me, I cannot afford to give up engine's longevity for that extra performance. I know it performs far better due to the free flowing. But I just can't.

As for CAI, I plan to do it some time but not fixing it at the lower part of the bumper like most car. I'm trying to find a space where I can mount it higher, near the radiator grille or somewhere to avoid hydrolocks.

Thank you for this post. Didn't know that can happen. Now I will consider putting some net/shield to prevent big stuff going in...

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
yeah, its too late for me. better use a fabric open pod. i had no choice at that time. will have to bear with it for sometime now. n u MUST put some shield to prevent unwanted things like to get in your engine bay. to avoid hydrolocking, as what i learned from fellow forumers, u can mount it a lil higher knowing our malaysian roads. but to be on the safer side, just use a heat shield instead of an air box. air box means no way the water is going anywhere but straight to ur engine. if u do like what i did, i think it should be ok because there is still room for the water NOT to go directly to ur air filter.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
i prefer a closed intake system with CAI. Because I believe a heat shield or even air box is not significantly effective as the engine bay's heat is extreme. Plus being in this climate, all the heat is just locked down the bonnet and sucked into the engine.

But of course for closed systems, one has to mount them properly, not too low... In our country, we have heat and floods... Sigh... Want to customise intake also hard...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
well....

me decided to route the intake funnel at slight angle at edge of bumper's corner...

my car is proton btw...so i just remove the bumper's corner fog light and hide the funnel inside the bumper....air sucked through the opening of removed foglight hole....

so far so good....going through water pool slightly lower than the funnel still no sign of wet air filter....i still use stock airbox tough with minor cut to allow bigger flexible intake hose to be fitted....

frequently check(once a week) my air filter only saw dust and a little bit of sand....

p/s:my rule of thumb is to avoid direct front facing funnel position.....my funnel sucking air at about 45-60degree from front..... :adore:

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
i stop using CAI already. cause of things like this...its too much of a risk for not much performance gain...i mean i really cant feel like immediately gaining so much or anything at all when i installed the CAI...im not saying its useless, im sure it serves its purpose, just that the gain isnt really so drastic.

somore must cut hole in bumper etc..if route to lower part fo bumper where there is a grill(if possbile), might be too low and risk sucking in water... haihs...so i stop using it. if really wanna go all out, just get a vented bonnet, air scoop, and channel cold air into the engine bay.

and about plastic bags, it can get pretty nasty if it sticks to your radiator, exhaust, or even manifold, becareful guys... try to avoid if possible...

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
i stop using CAI already. cause of things like this...its too much of a risk for not much performance gain...i mean i really cant feel like immediately gaining so much or anything at all when i installed the CAI...im not saying its useless, im sure it serves its purpose, just that the gain isnt really so drastic.

somore must cut hole in bumper etc..if route to lower part fo bumper where there is a grill(if possbile), might be too low and risk sucking in water... haihs...so i stop using it. if really wanna go all out, just get a vented bonnet, air scoop, and channel cold air into the engine bay.

and about plastic bags, it can get pretty nasty if it sticks to your radiator, exhaust, or even manifold, becareful guys... try to avoid if possible...
i never did CAI, i understood flood water might gush in, if ur stuck in a flood/jam. so yeah, i think for the minimal gain, its better off trying something else

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Three weeks ago we learned about the track-only Pagani Zonda R beating the Ferrari 599XX at the Nurburgring by 10 seconds flat. About a week later we saw a German video of the Italian manufacturer complete the feat, now we bring you an on-board video of the driver humiliating Ferrari with a perfect drive at the 'Ring. Great video complete with an amazing 12-cylinder soundtrack.

<object...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience