Performance worsen after installing aftermarket air filter

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
Who says that normal paper filter is restrictive?

Driving in Malaysia with all the dust and black diesel smoke coming out from lorries, Id rather stick to paper filter than risk my engine.

Tried all sort of 'performance' drop ins and open pod. All will leave a faint film of dust inside the air box.

So imagine how much dust is ingested into your engine?

Driving in Malaysia can be considered one of the extreme conditions for a car.

Considering the heat inside the combustion chamber is ridiculously high, whatever dust and dirt that gets sucked in is gonna burrrrrn babeahhh.. :rofl:

not all dust n dirt get burn... some will stuck inside intake system.. tb, manifold.. sensors inside intake system (if got) also will be coated by dirt..

not all dust n dirt get burn... some will stuck inside intake system.. tb, manifold.. sensors inside intake system (if got) also will be coated by dirt..

Interesting you said this. I did test this once before, I drove around without a filter in KL for about a month. Filter-less. Completely. What I did was take the ori filter, cut out the paper element and just left the frame and installed it back.

After a month of driving like that, I dismantled everything. The only thing that I found was that the engine oil got dirty verrrry fast. TB was actually very clean (well, to be fair it was the usual 'clean', nothing special, nothing too dirty, nothing too clean), intake was the usual clean and my low end torque was crap (was still auto back then). High end was fantastic and the intake roar was unbelievable. But then again the TB and everything was ported and polished so that might have something to do with the lack of dirt sticking.

Btw, when I said the oil got dirty very fast, it's like this : Today I change oil, check the dipstick it's bright yellow. Tomorrow I check it's still yellow. One week later it's almost black. 1.5 weeks later the oil was so black I couldn't see any yellow. Changed the oil after 2 weeks of using a semi-syn oil. Bloody hell.

Interesting you said this. I did test this once before, I drove around without a filter in KL for about a month. Filter-less. Completely. What I did was take the ori filter, cut out the paper element and just left the frame and installed it back.

After a month of driving like that, I dismantled everything. The only thing that I found was that the engine oil got dirty verrrry fast. TB was actually very clean (well, to be fair it was the usual 'clean', nothing special, nothing too dirty, nothing too clean), intake was the usual clean and my low end torque was crap (was still auto back then). High end was fantastic and the intake roar was unbelievable. But then again the TB and everything was ported and polished so that might have something to do with the lack of dirt sticking.

Btw, when I said the oil got dirty very fast, it's like this : Today I change oil, check the dipstick it's bright yellow. Tomorrow I check it's still yellow. One week later it's almost black. 1.5 weeks later the oil was so black I couldn't see any yellow. Changed the oil after 2 weeks of using a semi-syn oil. Bloody hell.

ur rocker cover inside will contaminated by dust/dirt also if ur engine breather system still stock connected to air box.
thus ur engine oil will contaminated because of the oil recirculating/flow from head back to oil pan.

If I'm not mistaken, the Viva ECU isn't adaptive and runs based on a fixed fuel map right? If yes introducing more air would just make it run really lean. I don't think you should use the stainless steel mesh filter as those are very free flowing. At the very least consider getting a performance non-stainless steel drop-in like those from K&N/Simota/Works/Pipercross.

But you gotta love that induction noise! :biggrin:

He is right on. Stock air box is good to keep air cooler, with K&N filter should be good enough.
Since it is getting more air now, you want to get more fuel & spark. Fuel pressure regulator for fuel. Upgrade coil for more spark. Don't forget what goes in, needs to come out. Exhaust will be nice.
Good luck, have fun and be safe.

ur rocker cover inside will contaminated by dust/dirt also if ur engine breather system still stock connected to air box.
thus ur engine oil will contaminated because of the oil recirculating/flow from head back to oil pan.

Ah.. I thought of that sometime ago. Breather connected to a mini filter, PCV connected to OCT so there isn't any circulation?

Anyway, we're going off topic already.

In highly basic terms - For a car to have power it must have :

1. Air (oxygen)
2. Spark
3. Fuel
4. Complete combustion
5. Good scavenging from exhaust

If any one of these items change the others must change as well to accomodate the increase in #1 (from the air filter). If everything else stays the same you'll just run lean (possibly) or just get poorer combustion. So if your ECU is not adaptive it will not register the extra air until some adjustment is made in the fueling correct?

Does anyone know what sort of ECU is the Viva using?

err... need OCT aaa? mine didn't connect to anything since convert to open pod + custom pipe...

just let the pcv hose pointing downward je
Ah.. I thought of that sometime ago. Breather connected to a mini filter, PCV connected to OCT so there isn't any circulation?

1. Air (oxygen)
2. Spark
3. Fuel
4. Complete combustion

If any one of these items change the others must change as well to accomodate the increase in #1 (from the air filter). If everything else stays the same you'll just run lean (possibly) or just get poorer combustion. So if your ECU is not adaptive it will not register the extra air until some adjustment is made in the fueling correct?

1. Air (oxygen)
2. Spark
3. Fuel
4. Complete combustion

ur oct connected back to manifold? if yes then no problem.. gases/pressure will be sucked back into combustion.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

err... need OCT aaa? mine didn't connect to anything since convert to open pod + custom pipe...

just let the pcv hose pointing downward je

the other port on rocker cover still connected to manifold? if yes then ur rocker cover inside/head will get dirty becoz unfiltered air sucked thru the open hose.

the other port on rocker cover still connected to manifold? if yes then ur rocker cover inside/head will get dirty becoz unfiltered air sucked thru the open hose.

I believe your right

2013-02-19185607.png

I believe your right

i thought u wanna post opened head cover.. heehe :biggrin:

for turbo i opt for installing OCT between rocker n air filter pipe.

reason, when u boost, air sucked thru air filter pipe is more than manifold. (actually manifold already pressurize, there's a check valve between head n manifold hose to prevent boost flow to head n crank case, but allowing gases to sucked thru manifold below boost (vacuum))

for NA, OCT between head n manifold. vacuum in manifold will sucked gasses/blow-by thru the hose.

Hahaha... just want to show my opened opened rocker port... when viewing it back, I forgot the one that have the check valve :biggrin:

maybe that's why daihatsu route the port thru the blow off valve so better to expel blow by gas? :hmmmm:

for turbo i opt for installing OCT between rocker n air filter pipe.

reason, when u boost, air sucked thru air filter pipe is more than manifold

Hahaha... just want to show my opened opened rocker port... when viewing it back, I forgot the one that have the check valve :biggrin:

maybe that's why daihatsu route the port thru the blow off valve so better to expel blow by gas? :hmmmm:

haha..
maybe, blow by will be sucked back thru turbo.. then turbo dirtied by oily blow by.. :biggrin:

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom