US Octane Vs Other Countries Octane Ratings

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
Found the following posting at US Octane VS Other countries Octane Ratings

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jul 17 2005, 12:48 AM
In Europe 98-octane gasoline is common and in Japan even 100-octane is readily available at the pumps, but this octane nomenclature is misleading to Americans as foreign octane ratings are derived entirely differently from our own... So, like every other measurement system it seems that everyone else uses a different scale than we do, but unlike most other instances where we have had the good sense to create different units of measure in this case we all use the same name...
Japan and Europe use a system called RON or Research Octane Number to determine the octane rating of their gasoline, while stateside we use a system called AKI or Anti-Knock Index to determine gasoline's octane rating... Interestingly, to further complicate things it would seem that our own AKI system is actually derived from the average of the RON system and another more complicated system referred to as MON or Motor Octane Number... So, to recap our methodologies for measuring gasoline's octane rating are different, but share some common elements...

So, with the commonality of RON in mind a good rule of thumb is as follows, multiply the foreign RON Octane rating by 0.95 and you will have the US AKI equivalent.

( RON Octane Rating x 0.95 = AKI Octane Rating )
98 RON Octane x 0.95 = 93.1 AKI Octane (US measure)
100 RON Octane x 0.95 = 95 AKI Octane (US measure)

So, as you can see the 93 or 94 octane fuel we are all paying an arm and a leg for is actually quite comparable to the higher octane fuels found in Europe and Japan. The people whom have to worry about low octane rating are our friends out west in places like California that are subjected to substandard 91 octane.

91 AKI Octane (US measure) = 95.5 RON Octane

Btw, alot of people when see the following photo of the fuel octane rating of a gas pump in USA thinks it's in RON. It's actually AKI

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline#Energy_content
In the US, octane ratings in unleaded fuels can vary between 86-87 AKI (91-92 RON) for regular, through 89-90 AKI (94-95 RON)

Last edited:

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
91 is premium and 87 is regular in the States.

So 87 in the States = Ron91.5789 in Malaysia?

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
Unfortunately YES. That is why their engine capacity 5.0L only makes 200hp. This is to offset the power from low quality fuel. And not like Malaysia 2.0-2.4L already 160hp. Most of their top end drag car can run with RON91. I believe our Malaysian attitude Japan = RON100 so cars in Malaysia = Japan cars = more than RON97. I only believe one thing, RON 95 can work if you make an effort to make it work though tuning.

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
The measurements is only equivalent and it is not entirely correct... Their fuel is just as good as other well developed countries...

Bigger displacement engine in their cars are not because to compensate the poor quality of petrol/gasoline in the states... it has been their tradition and custom to build bigger c.c cars since the muscle cars days... and most american sportscars.. are still using muscle engine till this day... and pumping a V8 is common for american cars.. the purpose is they need their Vehicle to withstand long and abusive road mileage to cross cities and even states.... take a look at their continen if you ever think american bigger c.c cars are wothless...

i once rent a car in the states... if you want to cross states... they will not let you rent a car which is less than 3.0 cc...

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
According to Gasoline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the US, octane ratings in unleaded fuels can vary between 86-87 AKI (91-92 RON) for regular, through 89-90 AKI (94-95 RON)

Btw, alot of people when see the following photo of the fuel octane rating of a gas pump in USA thinks it's in RON. It's actually AKI

veilsideboyz

1,500 RPM
Oct 28, 2008
If U.s octane gas 91/92 convcet to malaysia is what year petrol ?95 ?
How about V-Power converte to U.s ..how many octane gas ??

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys,

just wanted to see if anyone has used the evo1/2/3 oem absorbers + springs before? im looking to convert my wira GSR back to "comfortable-like-stock standard" cos ive got a baby on the way...been using adjustables for many yrs, and its time to change...

so i've asked around, and got mixed opinions, which got me all confused...i wanna go back to the stock standard comfort level, dont bother about performance anymore...so obviously oem is the way to go...question is, which oem...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience