race/high octane fuel formulas

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

am_izham

Known Member
Oct 17, 2004
Kota Bharu
Visit site
i found this on the net long time ago. i have forgotten where i get this from. all i remember is that i did a search on "homebrew octane booster".

has anybody here done this before?
are any of these chemicals available for purchase here?

p/s: don't ask me anything. i'm not a chemical engineer.

Fuel Formulas

Please note that I would NOT suggest that a person use the following fuel mixtures without considering the detrimental effects on their engine, vital engine components (O2 sensor, etc), and other potential damage. That said, the information is interesting.

Fuel Formulas

Formula #1 - Toulene
R+M/2.........114
Cost...........$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premiums
10%...........94.2 Octanes
20%...........96.4 Octanes
30%...........98.6 Octanes
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will onlyraise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

Formula #2 - Xylene
R+M/2.........117
Cost...........$2.75/gal
10%...........94.5 Octanes
20%...........97.0 Octanes
30%...........99.5 Octanes
Notes: Similar to Toulene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*,I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toulene and advertised as *raceformula*.

Formula #3 - Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2.........118
Cost...........$3.50/gal
10%...........94.6 Octanes
20%...........97.2 Octanes
30%...........99.8 Octanes
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTUcontent than toulene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burnbetter and produce more energy.

Formula #4 - Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...........94.3 Octanes (Methanol)
10%...........94.7 Octanes (Ethanol)
20%...........Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasoholin 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tanklinings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in"Gas Dryers", combine with water.

Formula #5 - Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60-$1.50/gal
10%...........94.5 Octanes
20%...........Not Recommended
30%...........Not Recommended
Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

How to make your own octane booster (this is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products). To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1gal):100 oz of toulene for octane boost 25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent) 3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and*lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

Last edited:

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
i would say that our premium fuel octane is already at 97. so even if we add those it won't make too much of the difference. i never tried, scare my engine kong. sommore my engine is designed to be run on ron89, running with 100 octane fuel doesn't make too much diff ler.. beside probably abit more power.

am_izham

Known Member
Oct 17, 2004
Kota Bharu
Visit site
and what about for 20V. since it is designed to be used with ron100 then we dont have to retard the ignition to avoid knocking anymore. same with those evo 8 mr.

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
yes, but higher octane means its less prone to knocking, but what about the performance you get from those fuel? you are adding alot of other stuff inside, not just a bottle of fuel addictive.

like those 30% adding into fuel, mean for every 7 liter of fuel you add 3 liter to get 10 liter of higher octane fuel (?). i can't help but to wonder what would it do to the performance and engine life.

am_izham

Known Member
Oct 17, 2004
Kota Bharu
Visit site
sorry bro. but for 30% u add 3 litres for every 10 litres. if 3 litres for every 7 litres it's already 42%.

as i said before, i'm no chemical engineer. but it's written there, small amount only raise the octane up to a few points only.

as said by you, higher octane means its less prone to knocking. thats the idea of running with higher octane fuel. so that u can run higher compression without knocking. since your car was designed to run with RON89, u can increase the compression of your engine and not worrying about knocking if you are using higher octane fuels. (am i saying the same things over and over again here?)

and no, higher RON does not mean higher power. unless for people that are using engine that are designed for high RON but always put in lower octane fuels, if they change to a higher RON fuel they will experience an increase in power.

all this are from my understanding thanks. if anyone care to correct me.
IMHO

LevinTE27

Known Member
Nov 16, 2003
rollakid said:
i would say that our premium fuel octane is already at 97. so even if we add those it won't make too much of the difference. i never tried, scare my engine kong. sommore my engine is designed to be run on ron89, running with 100 octane fuel doesn't make too much diff ler.. beside probably abit more power.
i posted this site last year..
higher octane dun make power, it allowed u to run much more advance ignition timing, and higher compression.

low compression n/a engine will suffer when higher octance fuel used,
juz something like u run colder plug will not burn completely.

am_izham

Known Member
Oct 17, 2004
Kota Bharu
Visit site
LevinTE27 said:
low compression n/a engine will suffer when higher octance fuel used,
juz something like u run colder plug will not burn completely.
now that's new to me. didn't know too high also not good. thanks LevinTE27 for enlightening me.

ok, back to my question. does any of these chemicals available for purchase here?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey guys need some advice

i am currently having a mivec with me and apparently i am having some issue with my gearbox....
Knowing to get a Mivec RS LSD gearbox is gona cost a Bomb...what would be the best gearbox can we use or modd to replace my mivec gear without loosing power or mayb gain a better ratio

Really appreciated Some Advice from Sifu's

Many Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience