• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
beretta said:
Ok, to those people who had experience with AD07 on the track..... Are this AD07 tires good during wet on the road?

I beleive this AD07 tires are good for track and road use.... right?
It is still acceptable when the road is wet. If the road has standing water like during heavy rain, then it is not so good.

Kookaburra

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Koala Lampost
Is the Silverstone type RR a road legal tyre (carries SIRIM or DOT serial number)? If not, then it's not right to compare it to Advan AD007. Maybe AD007 should be compared to other road legal R compound tyres like RT115, Toyo Proxes and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup?

Doesn't certain events like SSO forbids racing tyres?

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Kookaburra said:
Is the Silverstone type RR a road legal tyre (carries SIRIM or DOT serial number)? If not, then it's not right to compare it to Advan AD007. Maybe AD007 should be compared to other road legal R compound tyres like RT115, Toyo Proxes and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup?

Doesn't certain events like SSO forbids racing tyres?
SSO only forbid full slicks. I am comparing AD07 with Silverstone Type RR coz I want to know if TypeRR is better than my current AD07 for SSO. If it is better then I will procede and get 4 TypeRR for my upcoming SSO/autocross event.

In SSO, we do not get a change to warm up the tyres. The only way I can heat it up is to spin my tyres during launch at the starting grid. I wonder if the initial grip when it is cold is better than AD07 or not. Can any of you share the experience on running TypeRR before warm up? If you are a track users, maybe you can share with me on the grip during the 1st lap. Of course it must be based on a tyre which has been scrubed in or broken in.

MK84

1,500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
www.mk84.com
Unker champ.... don't forget also for KKS Autocross the tires must be DOT legal.

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
MK84 said:
Unker champ.... don't forget also for KKS Autocross the tires must be DOT legal.
I know. I am only using it for SSO. If the TypeRR is DOT legal, I will even use it for Autocross.

Is the TypeRR DOT legal?

Too late anyway. I have already bought 2 units. I am hoping to get more info b4 I go for another 2 more.

alexz

500 RPM
Nov 22, 2004
Visit site

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
u guys might wanna give toyo r888 a thinker..... it's in a class above ad07 in term of grip.

alexz

500 RPM
Nov 22, 2004
Visit site
kikaider said:
Does the Silverstone Type RR have applications for 16" wheels?
sorry but currently its only available in 14" 15" and 17" sizes only.

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
AD07 vs Silverstone FTZ TypeRR

I will try the TypeRR out this Sunday in an event. I will post the feedback here after the event. Previously I was using AD07 and I ran the same track before with the AD07.

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
399 said:
u guys might wanna give toyo r888 a thinker..... it's in a class above ad07 in term of grip.
the r888 looks sweet!! are these available in Malaysia... where can you get them??

But i think these are in a different class with the AD07's... the AD07's are full fledge street radials... the r888, eventhough is street legal... it more for racetrack junkies... i think its in a class with the azenis RT215

heres alink to the r888... sweet man...

http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/pc_forms/r888.html

A

achor

cool article dude. there's even an article about driving in rain. given the weather these days. cool dude.

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
FTZ Type RR - Update on test result

I have finally put it in my car 3 hours ago for this weekend Autocross.

So far I only drove my car for 20km with the tyres. I am still in the process of scrubbing it in.

My feedback so far is.....
1. At 15km on the clock, I drove a little bit wild in an industrial area. The grip was damn good and definitely better than my AD07. It should be better after it has been fully scrubbed in. I am planning to achieve at least 100km (normal driving) before I race on Sunday.

2. Noise level sucks and damn kaw noisy. But I dont mind since I will only be using it for races in Autocross and SSO. At about 80km/h, it sounded like those Land Rover tyres.

I will update later after Sunday's race. By then, it should be fully broken in and will perform at its best.

Last edited:

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Silverstone Type RR test result update

julianpang said:
I have finally put it in my car 3 hours ago for this weekend Autocross.

So far I only drove my car for 20km with the tyres. I am still in the process of scrubbing it in.

My feedback so far is.....
1. At 15km on the clock, I drove a little bit wild in an industrial area. The grip was damn good and definitely better than my AD07. It should be better after it has been fully scrubbed in. I am planning to achieve at least 100km (normal driving) before I race on Sunday.

2. Noise level sucks and damn kaw noisy. But I dont mind since I will only be using it for races in Autocross and SSO. At about 80km/h, it sounded like those Land Rover tyres.

I will update later after Sunday's race. By then, it should be fully broken in and will perform at its best.
I have completed Autocross last Sunday with the tyres. The surface has lots of loose gravel. To my surprise, the tyres really grips. I started out all the rounds in cold tyres. Even with cold tyres, the grip was much better than AD07. I bet if I were to heat in up properly, it would have been better. Coming out of corner in 1st gear was a dream. It sticks to the ground better than AD07 even in loose gravel.

On the race day, Russel Palmer from Silverstone was there. He was nice enough to feed me some info on TypeRR. Apparently he said there are 2 types of TypeRR in Malaysian market. 1 is soft compound and the other is medium compound. The one I had on is medium compound. There is a way to differetiate the 2. If you look at the sidewall, 575 is soft and 578 is medium. He recommend me to get the soft compound for Autocross. The medium compound will be more suitable for track use. I am very happy with even with medium compound. I cant imagine if I were to run it with soft compound. Russel mentioned that the TypeRR has more rubber than other Silverstone semi slicks model.

Last edited: