SL55 or Boxster S

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Starkiller

500 RPM
EDIT: Please refer to Page 3 for the new shortlist, thanks!

Hello fellow forumers, the time has come again where ones formal education is about to come to an end. Just to make it short and sweet, i will be finishing my degree soon and my father has seen it fit to reward me with a car as a graduation present. I will be graduating in the UK so the car prices will be as seen in the UK market not in Malaysia.

As thus far i have chosen 2 candidates;
The 2004 SL55 AMG (£27000 , Secondhand Mileage 26K)
sl55amg.jpg

The 2012 Boxster S (981) (£40000 ROUGHLY, Brand new)
porsche-boxster-s-3.4-06.jpg

Just some background, i adore touge however i love blasting down the highway even more & styling is very important to me.

The budget given to me is £40,000(roughly RM200,000). Generally I am against buying second hand cars, which is why i chose the Boxster as it fits my budget and what I want. However a quick look into the second hand market and I was shocked at the deals.

Just to make it clear, this is a graduation present and I will not be handling the maintenance or petrol or the car. I'm a lucky swine i know & don't for a second think I take it for granted. So which should i choose? If you guys got other cars in mind do let me know, oh and yes im bringing it back to Malaysia :driver

Last edited:
Yeah what a lucky boy you are to have such a well to do, and generous father!
Anyway, go with the Boxster as it should be much more agile and sharper handling for touge, and it's still new.

Other cars not really sure cuz don't know the prices there. Does it have to be a roadster/convertible?

Yeah what a lucky boy you are to have such a well to do, and generous father!
Anyway, go with the Boxster as it should be much more agile and sharper handling for touge, and it's still new.

Other cars not really sure cuz don't know the prices there. Does it have to be a roadster/convertible?

Luckiest guy ever, nope it doesn't. Its alright if you guys cant provide the prices, just general ideas of like and entry level/mid-range sports car :driver:

Last edited:
The simple rules apply - new is always more reliable. I'd say go for the Boxster; in S guise, should be well rewarding as well.

Both cars are great and both cars have class. Personally I've sat in both and have driven the Boxster (not S) and I love the Boxster. But I suspect the Merc is way more advanced in terms of electronics and road handling assistance. Having said that a 2nd hand Merc would be a nightmare if it wasn't looked after properly.

So I'd go for the Boxster.

I would suspect you rate comfort and electronic features/aids highly? If so, a well maintained Merc might be the one you should choose over the relatively 'bare' Porsche. One of the units from Merc's own second-hand dealership should be just fine.

Depends on what you are looking for really, since they are pretty different cars aimed at different part of the market I would assume.

Dear TS,

Go for the Boxter. A merc will always be a merc. Save it when ur retiring. To own a porsche at a young age like urs its a real blessing. Ur so lucky. I can assure you its very reliable and a fun drive. Once u kena u can never turn back. Its that awesome.

Take the latest and greatest Cockster S.
The Merc is 8 years older than the Cockster, car years = dog years.

The downside is that you buy a brand new car and you lose the warranty if you bring it back. Why not get a Porsche 911 997 Turbo instead? IMO the SL55 really looks dated with its "big small eye" configuration - reminisce of the big small eye merc era . The 2008 facelift ala SL65 looks more modern and correct for this new decade. If the looks doesn't bother you, sure. But my logic is why buy an old car or a car that looks dated when you can get a newer one (rule does not apply to a Ferrari 250 GTO).

I've never sat in a 2 door Porsche before, only the Cayenne and the Panamera Turbo S. I can tell you in the Panny at 260km on the autobahn feels like a BMW doing 80km. A BMW 325 @ 240km was literally falling apart like a Kancil doing 110km.

Don't for one second think Porsche is that far behind Mercedes in terms of comfort. They are not.

Most of the guys here talk about handling, agility, nimble-ness, feel and a whole lot of that "I read Top-Gear" magazine bollocks.

True, the Boxster is a great car in the RIGHT hands, at the RIGHT time, on the RIGHT road. There is sure a hell of a lot of RIGHTS before a car like the Boxster becomes truly great.

When buying a car, especially a performance orientated car at that... questions like SL55AMG vs PORKIE Boxster just shows that you are in fact not even a motorhead. You're comparing Apples against Oranges AND then expecting a bunch of ignoramuses to pass verdict.

Let us dissect your query in the first place.

1) We have a guy here (probably 23 to 24 years of age) studying in the UK, claims to be a motorhead; asking us about SL55 vs Porkie. Loves to touge and blast down highways! Just graduated and now wants to purchase a car. We could not care less if it was his granny or father paying for the car.

First of all, the cars mentioned are from TOTALLY different classes. One is a GT, the other a hairdresser's car. To a genuine MALE motorhead, this question is as stupid as "Do you have a dick or a pussy?". Nuff said.

Secondly, the price range is totally different, you must be a real muttonhead to not have spotted this.

Thirdly, Are you going to be paying for the SL55's road tax in Malaysia and has your dad thought about maintaining the car in Malaysia and NOT Uk

You want to touge? - Go buy a cheap car like an Evo or Subaru to thrash around. Do NOT block the roads in Genting/Ulu Yam/Insert Fav Road with your slow poke Porkie OR Merc. BOTH these cars (esp the SL) is going to be a pig on theses roads. Not because they are slow BUT more likely cos you have the skills of a 23 year old NOOB driver with no idea what TOUGE is all about.

You want style? - Grow a brain, women find that sexy.

I'm all for weighting pros and cons of a certain genre of car. I have got no beef with rich men's sons. I however have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to people who are dumb and try to drag other people down with them.

Just for the record.

I'd take the SL55 anytime. WHY? Cos its oozes presence, it makes wicked MANLY V8 noises, as comfortable as a pair of jammies.

Why not the Junior Porkie? Cos its everything a Porsche isn't. Its Character - LESS, I can't even be bothered to differentiate it from the Cayman, Boxster S, 3.6 or 3.8 or whatever other bullshit. Buy one and you risk letting people think you stole your sister's car out. Unless that's your thing. Btw...nobody notices Porsches, except car-nerds.

The simple rules apply - new is always more reliable. I'd say go for the Boxster; in S guise, should be well rewarding as well.

True..

Both cars are great and both cars have class. Personally I've sat in both and have driven the Boxster (not S) and I love the Boxster. But I suspect the Merc is way more advanced in terms of electronics and road handling assistance. Having said that a 2nd hand Merc would be a nightmare if it wasn't looked after properly.

So I'd go for the Boxster.

Thanks for the input bro!

your neo how?

Hello brother, hahah long time gone already :(. Now 20 already. But dont worry, this next ride will receive the same paintjob, shall be called Starkiller 2.0 :driver:

I would suspect you rate comfort and electronic features/aids highly? If so, a well maintained Merc might be the one you should choose over the relatively 'bare' Porsche. One of the units from Merc's own second-hand dealership should be just fine.

Depends on what you are looking for really, since they are pretty different cars aimed at different part of the market I would assume.

I rate safety and comfort highly however i used to drive a neo with hard suspensions on daily roads so im not complaisant :biggrin: . However for a weekend touge it would have to be the Boxster right?

Dear TS,

Go for the Boxter. A merc will always be a merc. Save it when ur retiring. To own a porsche at a young age like urs its a real blessing. Ur so lucky. I can assure you its very reliable and a fun drive. Once u kena u can never turn back. Its that awesome.

Hello DR78, i guess thats true! I know, its such a privilege. Any other model you have in mind?

Take the latest and greatest Cockster S.
The Merc is 8 years older than the Cockster, car years = dog years.

The downside is that you buy a brand new car and you lose the warranty if you bring it back. Why not get a Porsche 911 997 Turbo instead? IMO the SL55 really looks dated with its "big small eye" configuration - reminisce of the big small eye merc era . The 2008 facelift ala SL65 looks more modern and correct for this new decade. If the looks doesn't bother you, sure. But my logic is why buy an old car or a car that looks dated when you can get a newer one (rule does not apply to a Ferrari 250 GTO).

I've never sat in a 2 door Porsche before, only the Cayenne and the Panamera Turbo S. I can tell you in the Panny at 260km on the autobahn feels like a BMW doing 80km. A BMW 325 @ 240km was literally falling apart like a Kancil doing 110km.

Don't for one second think Porsche is that far behind Mercedes in terms of comfort. They are not.

So would the boxster s be perfect for my usual blasts on the highway? or should i be considering other brands?

Hmm maybe Lotus Exige S and Audi TT-RS?

Yeah, should probably look into other brands hmmm.

Thanks for the input guys! :driver:

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

Most of the guys here talk about handling, agility, nimble-ness, feel and a whole lot of that "I read Top-Gear" magazine bollocks.

True, the Boxster is a great car in the RIGHT hands, at the RIGHT time, on the RIGHT road. There is sure a hell of a lot of RIGHTS before a car like the Boxster becomes truly great.

When buying a car, especially a performance orientated car at that... questions like SL55AMG vs PORKIE Boxster just shows that you are in fact not even a motorhead. You're comparing Apples against Oranges AND then expecting a bunch of ignoramuses to pass verdict.

Let us dissect your query in the first place.

1) We have a guy here (probably 23 to 24 years of age) studying in the UK, claims to be a motorhead; asking us about SL55 vs Porkie. Loves to touge and blast down highways! Just graduated and now wants to purchase a car. We could not care less if it was his granny or father paying for the car.

First of all, the cars mentioned are from TOTALLY different classes. One is a GT, the other a hairdresser's car. To a genuine MALE motorhead, this question is as stupid as "Do you have a dick or a pussy?". Nuff said.

Secondly, the price range is totally different, you must be a real muttonhead to not have spotted this.

Thirdly, Are you going to be paying for the SL55's road tax in Malaysia and has your dad thought about maintaining the car in Malaysia and NOT Uk

You want to touge? - Go buy a cheap car like an Evo or Subaru to thrash around. Do NOT block the roads in Genting/Ulu Yam/Insert Fav Road with your slow poke Porkie OR Merc. BOTH these cars (esp the SL) is going to be a pig on theses roads. Not because they are slow BUT more likely cos you have the skills of a 23 year old NOOB driver with no idea what TOUGE is all about.

You want style? - Grow a brain, women find that sexy.

I'm all for weighting pros and cons of a certain genre of car. I have got no beef with rich men's sons. I however have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to people who are dumb and try to drag other people down with them.

Just for the record.

I'd take the SL55 anytime. WHY? Cos its oozes presence, it makes wicked MANLY V8 noises, as comfortable as a pair of jammies.

Why not the Junior Porkie? Cos its everything a Porsche isn't. Its Character - LESS, I can't even be bothered to differentiate it from the Cayman, Boxster S, 3.6 or 3.8 or whatever other bullshit. Buy one and you risk letting people think you stole your sister's car out. Unless that's your thing. Btw...nobody notices Porsches, except car-nerds.

Woah relax dude! I didn't know my post would generate such a response! I do realize that they are in different leagues, its because seeing as how this is a one time deal i figured I should broaden my horizon. & no I don't claim to be a gearhead, but I do love cars.

The reason I asked is because ZTH if full of enthusiasts who have the necessary input to guide me in my purchase, not to shove my privileges in peoples faces. & what makes you think I don't notice the price difference? Yes I realize a difference of about 13-14 thousand pounds is alot of money, but that was never the issue at hand... And by the by, just because someone if from a younger age group it doesn't render them a noob at the wheel. Thats like saying Nabil Jeffri is a noob because he's 19...

And there is no reason to be rude man. Don't go around shitting on people being happy...

Last edited:
Meh..if he even bothered to read the responses here, he would notice only one poster was talking about 'Top Gear bollocks'.....So much for 'most guys here'.

First, generalizing on people without even reading what they actually wrote is taking ignorance to a whole new level it defies belief.

Second, the car price isn't a factor. Learn to freaking read for god's sake.

Third, do you know the OP personally? Do you? So if you don't, enlightened us on how you would know he's a '23 year old NOOB driver with no idea what TOUGE is all about'? So do you know what touge is all about? Enlightened us on that as well, oh wise one.

What car the OP wants to compare is his prerogative. You don't like it? It's not like someone's putting a gun to your big head, stop freaking reading and don't participate in the thread.

#rantover #ignorethetroll

Last edited:
@elsm80 dont have to be rude and judgemental bro. Nobody is comparing apple to apple here. Its ts personal preferences and he only wants people opinion. So ur a gearhead is it? Ur the man la?? Grow up bro. We are here to discuss not to show off. Cheers

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Hi Ts,

About other options, if im in the uk, i'll be freaking out with almost any cars dude. Everything is so cheap. Assuming its for daily drive i will go for a "porkie" still. With balance spare change i may consider f430 spider :) im not a gearhead but i just like beautiful cars. I will strive for cars to suit my age. In ur case i will choose a porsche when young and merc when older. My theory is that most people can afford a porsche anyway after a certain age but they wont look as good in it as when there are young. Just my personal opinion dont flame me.

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Tvr would be another fun car :)

Last edited:
Meh..if he even bothered to read the responses here, he would notice only one poster was talking about 'Top Gear bollocks'.....So much for 'most guys here'.

First, generalizing on people without even reading what they actually wrote is taking ignorance to a whole new level it defies belief.

Second, the car price isn't a factor. Learn to freaking read for god's sake.

Third, do you know the OP personally? Do you? So if you don't, enlightened us on how you would know he's a '23 year old NOOB driver with no idea what TOUGE is all about'? So do you know what touge is all about? Enlightened us on that as well, oh wise one.

What car the OP wants to compare is his prerogative. You don't like it? It's not like someone's putting a gun to your big head, stop freaking reading and don't participate in the thread.

#rantover #ignorethetroll

Thank you bro, i really hate people who try to bring others down

Hi Ts,

About other options, if im in the uk, i'll be freaking out with almost any cars dude. Everything is so cheap. Assuming its for daily drive i will go for a "porkie" still. With balance spare change i may consider f430 spider :) im not a gearhead but i just like beautiful cars. I will strive for cars to suit my age. In ur case i will choose a porsche when young and merc when older. My theory is that most people can afford a porsche anyway after a certain age but they wont look as good in it as when there are young. Just my personal opinion dont flame me.

[/COLOR]Tvr would be another fun car :)

I know man, my dream is really an F430 but its wayy out of budget, even second hand :(. TVR's are cool but body plastic kan? hahaha i forgot

er, student AP need to paid import tax? or tax free for the cars cause I remember tax maybe involve for new porh due to less than 2 year old car?

Anyway, both car the CC to big and the engine too heavy, if you want to blast highway maybe Japanese rockets is even better. Just a thoughts.

And in Malaysia I think the porch will be better because "most" Malaysia are brand conscious.

weeehuuuu lucky man u are bro!! and congrats for your graduation btw! :)

if i were you, i'll choose porsche anyday compared to merc..to me, driving around in a merc makes you 20years older,hihi..

i've sat once in sl55..damn it is tooo huge!! i dont like it..but since u like to touge, i'll suggest get the porsche instead..why?small and nimble chassis is the way to go for touge..

maybe the sl55 will shine more during blasting the highway, u need to consider malaysian road..lots of bumping2 humping2 and potholes..

and yeah, no matter how sissy porsche can be is, it is still a porsche..it just oozes style..well at least for me..

er, student AP need to paid import tax? or tax free for the cars cause I remember tax maybe involve for new porh due to less than 2 year old car?

Anyway, both car the CC to big and the engine too heavy, if you want to blast highway maybe Japanese rockets is even better. Just a thoughts.

And in Malaysia I think the porch will be better because "most" Malaysia are brand conscious.

Hello bro, i considered it but not really into japanese rockets heh. No disrespect meant to all our japanese enthusiasts. Very much prefer the European method! Big blocks big power! :driver: And yeah actually im a little confused about the AP aswell, might have to do some research regarding that

weeehuuuu lucky man u are bro!! and congrats for your graduation btw! :)

if i were you, i'll choose porsche anyday compared to merc..to me, driving around in a merc makes you 20years older,hihi..

i've sat once in sl55..damn it is tooo huge!! i dont like it..but since u like to touge, i'll suggest get the porsche instead..why?small and nimble chassis is the way to go for touge..

maybe the sl55 will shine more during blasting the highway, u need to consider malaysian road..lots of bumping2 humping2 and potholes..

and yeah, no matter how sissy porsche can be is, it is still a porsche..it just oozes style..well at least for me..

Thank you bro, another year of hell loads of studying and its on to the masters. I know the roads are bad! hahaha maybe I should consider other choices right? and I don't understand people calling Porsche's sissy or hairdressers car. I mean, Jeremy Clarkson who drives expensive cars for a living owns one... and if hairdressers could afford a Porsche for what I study so susah :biggrin:

Last edited:
starkiller..
yeah long u MIA....y not continue your masters then yr dad could buy u a ferrari or lambo haha...manatau...
anyways y not u test out both cars & pick the one u like....follow your instincts.....

The Boxster is better as it has Porsche's PDK which is double clutch like DSG.

Top Bottom