Porsche unveils the 2012 Boxster

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

The Porsche Boxster. In my mind, it is perhaps the most iconic sports car of all time. Something I could possibly attain in my lifetime. A poster of the 986 Boxster was on my wall for a good 8 years, before it yellowed so badly, I had to take it down. That poster is still under my bed. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't like soft-tops. But I'd take a Boxster. Heck, I'd choose a Boxster over a Cayman. A Boxster S over a standard Carrera. You get the picture... so when I learnt that a new Boxster model was on it's way, like the Pavlov's effect, I'd already started drooling.

Say what you want about the styling of the Boxster; to me, it is incredibly pretty. It looks proper sleek, elegant, not too brash. Just right, I think. This new Boxster takes some cues from it's bigger brother, the Carrera GT, clearly reflected in it's nose. On the rear, I actualy see hints of the 918 Spyder. And those flared wheel arches... they actually house one-inch bigger wheels. Porsche says that their new car has a completely new lightweight body, along with revamped chassis set-up, lower weight, longer wheelbase, and wider track. Hard not to agree with the recipe.

Both the Boxster and the Boxster S will be powered by flat-six engines, the base model's 2.7 will churn out 265PS whilst the 3.4 S delivers 315PS. These figures are up 10PS and 5PS respectively, from the models they replace. A six-speed manual transmission is standard, although buyers can opt for a dual-clutch seven-speed PDK 'box. Zerotohundred speeds have never been the prowess (or purpose) of the Boxster, but official figures state 5.7secs and 5.0secs - just enough not to be embarrassed by hot-hatches. Handling will be the Boxster's stong suit, and we're looking forward to possibly getting our hands on it.

The car to look out for in 2012? Yes. In my books, it is.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Porsche certainly hire the right designer for their new line up...

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I have to agree. This new car does look much better than the 987 that it replaces. Its hard to find Boxsters on KL roads, and even harder to find used ones. Most owners tend to keep theirs.

Pity...

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
if this is the future of the poor man's 911, I have no issues being that poor man.
but 3 long generations to come to this?

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
@dariusd: Actually, the Boxster only comes in spyder format (i.e. convertible only). I typically am against convertibles, and the Boxster is the only exception to my rule.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all sifus!! Wondering if anyone here can advise on how to custom fibre tweeter panels for my wira. What materials do i need? Where can i buy the materials? Finally, how do i do it ? Thanks in advance !!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience