SAFC tuning/setting on 4age 20v

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

psr3000

Nov 18, 2005
Hi,any one around can share their experiences on tuning/setting the SAFC on 4age 20v.(mine is blk top)

I bought a used SAFC few months ago and since i've lost the manuals,so need to meet somebody who really understand the concept/functions and able to fully utilize this stuff.

Appreciate for those who can help me. :biggrin:

My current engine spec:
1)stock blk top engine & clutch
2)top overhaul
3)trd metal head gasket(0.8mm if not mistaken)
4)fgk 4-2-1 exhaust header(slightly bigger than original)
5)trd 2.2"exhaust piping+muffler
6)first generation blk 5sp manual ECU
7)six speed gearbox(w/o LSD)
8)drop-in K&N highflow air filter

milleage:-1 litre about 8~9km only(town area)
still wondering is it normal???

weirder

Known Member
Jun 16, 2005
sri serdang
rollakid said:
i thought safc won't work with 20v's ecu ler.. or is it just safc2?
yeah! oso heard about same thing wit u... but just wait 4 some other sifoo who can clarify that.... :biggrin:

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
iyaaa...cannot mehh...

morning tune up...
evening...ECU return to standard setting...:D

P/S : EG9...see what i told u...based the Synchron's ECU topic...:D

Last edited:

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
I have s-afc with my 20v for quite a time now,and i would say
that i dont know whether the thing works or not,but i have tried some experiment,
during idling,i lean out the mixtures by -35%,i did notice the idle dropped by 100-150rpm,
and i wait for the O2 sensor to kick in and bring the idle back up..but it didnt..it should adjust in 5 minutes time,but it didnt,might be a malfuntion O2 sensor i presume,but
when i run the diagnostic,not malfunction what so ever.

Then i return back the correction to normal,0%...and rev up the engine to 3000rpm and hold it there constantly,while i decrease and increase the correction,it also do change the rpm,up or down,but the increase in rpm is a bit less than decrease in rpm,the s-afc works..good

When i tune for mixtures and drive around,i didint really notice the diffrence,well,maybe i'm a bit afraid that it will damage my engine if not tuned with an O2 meter,so i just add and subtract fuel not more than 10%.well,i didnt have much time to play with it due to few factors,but i will explore that thing.

And i think it works if tuned properly,but there's a limitation of what s-afc can do,and it would benefit turbo car better than n/a..and some say to unplug the O2 sensor so the ECU doesnt revert back to its desired fuel trim,thus makes ur s-afc setting useless,i think it will work,because most ECU adjust it's fuel trim from the O2 sensor feedback..

Just some thoughts :smile:

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
the stock ECU take some time for it learn a new tune-up...to learn ur driving skill...
what is ur duration between those two different tune-up???

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
yup...i did notice the diffrence the way the engine behaves,after 3-4 days..and when i
reset the ECU,the car becomes sluggish again,and i have my O2 sensor unplug during this period..i want to try unplugging my s-afc and see if the engine performs as it is with the s-afc..:rolleyes:

EG9

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Subang Jaya
chinozie said:
iyaaa...cannot mehh...

morning tune up...
evening...ECU return to standard setting...:D

P/S : EG9...see what i told u...based the Synchron's ECU topic...:D
Chinozie,

I knew that stock 20V ECU will reset back the setting on SAFC since 2 years ago.
As for the Synchron's ECU, it's STANDALONE EMS and it doesn't need to run with SAFC in order to tune the A/F ratio. SO no point to install SAFC and it'll be totally useless.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Well i am a bitcoin user, i just wanted to ask in this community, anyone plans on doing so?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience