SAFC tuning/setting on 4age 20v

psr3000

Nov 18, 2005
Hi,any one around can share their experiences on tuning/setting the SAFC on 4age 20v.(mine is blk top)

I bought a used SAFC few months ago and since i've lost the manuals,so need to meet somebody who really understand the concept/functions and able to fully utilize this stuff.

Appreciate for those who can help me. :biggrin:

My current engine spec:
1)stock blk top engine & clutch
2)top overhaul
3)trd metal head gasket(0.8mm if not mistaken)
4)fgk 4-2-1 exhaust header(slightly bigger than original)
5)trd 2.2"exhaust piping+muffler
6)first generation blk 5sp manual ECU
7)six speed gearbox(w/o LSD)
8)drop-in K&N highflow air filter

milleage:-1 litre about 8~9km only(town area)
still wondering is it normal???

weirder

Known Member
Jun 16, 2005
sri serdang
rollakid said:
i thought safc won't work with 20v's ecu ler.. or is it just safc2?
yeah! oso heard about same thing wit u... but just wait 4 some other sifoo who can clarify that.... :biggrin:

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
iyaaa...cannot mehh...

morning tune up...
evening...ECU return to standard setting...:D

P/S : EG9...see what i told u...based the Synchron's ECU topic...:D

Last edited:

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
I have s-afc with my 20v for quite a time now,and i would say
that i dont know whether the thing works or not,but i have tried some experiment,
during idling,i lean out the mixtures by -35%,i did notice the idle dropped by 100-150rpm,
and i wait for the O2 sensor to kick in and bring the idle back up..but it didnt..it should adjust in 5 minutes time,but it didnt,might be a malfuntion O2 sensor i presume,but
when i run the diagnostic,not malfunction what so ever.

Then i return back the correction to normal,0%...and rev up the engine to 3000rpm and hold it there constantly,while i decrease and increase the correction,it also do change the rpm,up or down,but the increase in rpm is a bit less than decrease in rpm,the s-afc works..good

When i tune for mixtures and drive around,i didint really notice the diffrence,well,maybe i'm a bit afraid that it will damage my engine if not tuned with an O2 meter,so i just add and subtract fuel not more than 10%.well,i didnt have much time to play with it due to few factors,but i will explore that thing.

And i think it works if tuned properly,but there's a limitation of what s-afc can do,and it would benefit turbo car better than n/a..and some say to unplug the O2 sensor so the ECU doesnt revert back to its desired fuel trim,thus makes ur s-afc setting useless,i think it will work,because most ECU adjust it's fuel trim from the O2 sensor feedback..

Just some thoughts :smile:

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
the stock ECU take some time for it learn a new tune-up...to learn ur driving skill...
what is ur duration between those two different tune-up???

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
yup...i did notice the diffrence the way the engine behaves,after 3-4 days..and when i
reset the ECU,the car becomes sluggish again,and i have my O2 sensor unplug during this period..i want to try unplugging my s-afc and see if the engine performs as it is with the s-afc..:rolleyes:

EG9

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Subang Jaya
chinozie said:
iyaaa...cannot mehh...

morning tune up...
evening...ECU return to standard setting...:D

P/S : EG9...see what i told u...based the Synchron's ECU topic...:D
Chinozie,

I knew that stock 20V ECU will reset back the setting on SAFC since 2 years ago.
As for the Synchron's ECU, it's STANDALONE EMS and it doesn't need to run with SAFC in order to tune the A/F ratio. SO no point to install SAFC and it'll be totally useless.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We take risk every day in our life to put food on the table. The risk or obstacle I was referring to is when we drive from home to work n work to home, I’m sure we come across of un-responsible driver putting others people life in risk with their reckless driving not only that, at times when we happen to drive good cars or MPV or SUV we get rob or hijack.
This why we strongly recommend high risk vehicles owners to install captor RF/GPS/GSM system, not only we track n recover the vehicle...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience