It's time to let it go......

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
It's the typical HKS SSQV. Just too common but I liked it. Oh well, all these are history for me now. New chapter in life. I am liking the HRV more and more each day when I drive it.

I used to think my Airtrek is difficult to drive compared to my RX-8 but after driving this HRV, the RX-8 is difficult to drive. I mean everything is heavy and sharp as opposed to the HRV. It's so light and easy to maneuver. It's so relaxed driving it. It's good setup now as when I need fun, I know where to go with and when I am tired for an easy drive, there's something for me.

FC is superb too with 67% improvement compared to my Airtrek. Hehhee.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
It's the typical HKS SSQV. Just too common but I liked it. Oh well, all these are history for me now. New chapter in life. I am liking the HRV more and more each day when I drive it.

I used to think my Airtrek is difficult to drive compared to my RX-8 but after driving this HRV, the RX-8 is difficult to drive. I mean everything is heavy and sharp as opposed to the HRV. It's so light and easy to maneuver. It's so relaxed driving it. It's good setup now as when I need fun, I know where to go with and when I am tired for an easy drive, there's something for me.

Old tech vs New tech sure no fight loh! Nowadays got electric power steering, so engine gets a bit more power, new gear system and so on.....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

Original HKS SSQV? I read before somewhere on the internet that fitting BOV is not really good for the engine, really? But for me, I think that having a BOV is one of the great points of owning a turbocharged car. :rofl:

Yeah, I know the feeling of heavy and sharp compared to light and easy. Despite not owning or comparing between sports car, my Wira and a Myvi manual I have at home feels this way as well. The Myvi had a lighter steering and is much easier to maneuver than my Wira. Things are more difficult in Wira but it gives more fun during spirited drives.

So, I am guessing that you have decided to keep the RX-8 instead of selling it away?

Old tech vs New tech sure no fight loh! Nowadays got electric power steering, so engine gets a bit more power, new gear system and so on.....:driver:
I prefer old tech for more raw feeling. My friend who owns a F30 320i told me that my Wira feels more engaging than his 320i despite his 320i is much more powerful than Wira. Last time, I used to thought that a fun car is all about power but now I don't think so anymore.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Yup that's efficiency... if you drive the Golf GTi Mk 7, it gives you best of both worlds, power and good fuel economy!

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Original HKS SSQV? I read before somewhere on the internet that fitting BOV is not really good for the engine, really? But for me, I think that having a BOV is one of the great points of owning a turbocharged car. :rofl:

Yeah, I know the feeling of heavy and sharp compared to light and easy. Despite not owning or comparing between sports car, my Wira and a Myvi manual I have at home feels this way as well. The Myvi had a lighter steering and is much easier to maneuver than my Wira. Things are more difficult in Wira but it gives more fun during spirited drives.

So, I am guessing that you have decided to keep the RX-8 instead of selling it away?

I prefer old tech for more raw feeling. My friend who owns a F30 320i told me that my Wira feels more engaging than his 320i despite his 320i is much more powerful than Wira. Last time, I used to thought that a fun car is all about power but now I don't think so anymore.
Fitting vent-off valve or Blow-Off Valve is nothing bad. The only problem is what when you lift the pedal too sudden after high boost, the car will have tendency of stalling. RPM seems to drop too fast below idling level sometimes. This is pretty obvious when you drive thru speed bumps in hurry.

The reason is because original setup was to vent in the waste air after MAF, where the MAF sensor will re-calculate the air intake plus vent in volume. Since there's missing air pressure, then the engine will stall. It's pretty normal.

Yes I'll keep the Rx-8.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Fitting vent-off valve or Blow-Off Valve is nothing bad. The only problem is what when you lift the pedal too sudden after high boost, the car will have tendency of stalling. RPM seems to drop too fast below idling level sometimes. This is pretty obvious when you drive thru speed bumps in hurry.

The reason is because original setup was to vent in the waste air after MAF, where the MAF sensor will re-calculate the air intake plus vent in volume. Since there's missing air pressure, then the engine will stall. It's pretty normal.

Yes I'll keep the Rx-8.
Stalling even in AT transmission like yours? Thanks for telling, now I learned something about turbo engines.

The MAF sensor is somewhere in the air filter hose before throttle body isn't it?

Good to hear that you are still keeping a car that is fun to drive. One more reason to continue being active in zth forums. :biggrin:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Hahaha... well if I am no longer owning any so-call performance cars, I can still come here. :)

I am now attracted to Toyota C-HR. Maybe I can trade my RX-8 for that... it's just too cool looking.

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
BOV for style....hhahhahah
If no BOV, the pressure still need to be released and it goes out through the waste gate.....:driver:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yup that's efficiency... if you drive the Golf GTi Mk 7, it gives you best of both worlds, power and good fuel economy!
GTi with 7 speed still scare lah! If Golf 2.0 or R with 6 speed then nice. FC will differ but power too...
.....lol:rofl:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Hahaha... well if I am no longer owning any so-call performance cars, I can still come here. :)

I am now attracted to Toyota C-HR. Maybe I can trade my RX-8 for that... it's just too cool looking.
Well, you are like the grandmaster for Airtrek over here. Sure can come here to give Airtrek related info. :adore:

C-HR I think it won't be released so soon yet.

BOV for style....hhahhahah
If no BOV, the pressure still need to be released and it goes out through the waste gate.....:driver:
Does your VR use BOV or stock valve that recirculates the air?

Waste gate also got that loud sound what.

Drive turbo car must have BOV noise la.
That is the whole point of older turbo cars. For newer ones, most of the owners don't equip BOV.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Does your VR use BOV or stock valve that recirculates the air?

Waste gate also got that loud sound what.

That is the whole point of older turbo cars. For newer ones, most of the owners don't equip BOV.
VR have BOV of course. Right from day one.

Waste gate no sound, as release back into exhaust system after turbine

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Haaa... I ain't grandmaster of Airtrek la. I am just a car enthusiast like you all and happened to lightly tune my Airtrek to be more fun.

My son was pushing me to install external wastegate but I held back because it's just too noisy. I guess my wife will slaughter me if I did it back then...

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Haaa... I ain't grandmaster of Airtrek la. I am just a car enthusiast like you all and happened to lightly tune my Airtrek to be more fun.

My son was pushing me to install external wastegate but I held back because it's just too noisy. I guess my wife will slaughter me if I did it back then...
Well, with the slightly more experience, is added advantage. At least got something that can share with others. Just like bro. Danz when he had his Perdana....:adore:

Already have BOV why external waste gate?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
I did some research previously on external wastegate. Some of the benefits are
- more stable boost on each gear
- no boost spike
- better response
- meant for big turbos!

However the drawback is noise. Very noisy when the boost kicks in. Some people loves it because it's cool sounding. It's actually not necessary for turbos like TD04 or TD05. Stock internal wastegate is more than enough...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

Well, you contributed a lot for Airtrek related questions, which is quite a remarkable feat.

From your youtube channel, I saw your son in the RX-8 revving video. Seems to be older than what I thought, hahaha. At first I thought your son is like somewhat below 10 years old. He likes cars too?

Well, with the slightly more experience, is added advantage. At least got something that can share with others. Just like bro. Danz when he had his Perdana....:adore:

Yourself is also another grandmaster over here. Tyre section grandmaster. :adore: There are many types of specific grandmaster/sifu over here. :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Well, you contributed a lot for Airtrek related questions, which is quite a remarkable feat.

From your youtube channel, I saw your son in the RX-8 revving video. Seems to be older than what I thought, hahaha. At first I thought your son is like somewhat below 10 years old. He likes cars too?

Yourself is also another grandmaster over here. Tyre section grandmaster. :adore: There are many types of specific grandmaster/sifu over here. :biggrin:
If old enough can keep his trek for the son.......lol

No lah! like Edward mentioned, for me also hobby only. Was interested in the construction and performance of tyres so read more on them only....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
If old enough can keep his trek for the son.......lol

No lah! like Edward mentioned, for me also hobby only. Was interested in the construction and performance of tyres so read more on them only....:driver:
Now can keep RX-8 for his son. Cool for his son to have a father who owns sports car. :biggrin:

Well, now your hobby becomes something that is useful for you and you can help others with your knowledge. Maybe knowledge on car mods may not be applicable or useful for people around us, but knowledge on tyre is definitely useful for every car owner. All cars need to change tyres someday. :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi. i need help in installing a hks bov ssqv on a perdana v6 n/a. i heard that by placing this item on the air cleaner pipe and your intake manifold( fuel
injection ) will enable the pressure to come out the swoosh sound. is it true? but anways, anyone care to show me where is the air cleaner pipe and the intake manifold (fuel injection)? if theres a pic would be better. thx. :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience