How to escape from a car trunk/boot

Not senior yet...i think the title will mature once you reach a certain number of years you can edit the title.

:driver: back to topic, its best if one can find out as much information as possible about your own car. Be it for DIY sessions or safety reasons...its good to understand your car. One day you will thank yourself for the initiative. "Ahh!! luckily i knew about this before".

Not for all cars then. Kancil also cannot.....

There's a problem with Kancils. I can't fit in the boot of one. *biggrin* Unless I'm chopped into small pieces, by them it wouldn't matter if I knew how to escape or not....

Btw, checked. I can't.

You can't. Blue applies to those members that were around prior to the upgrade of the site. I think pre-2005 are blue or something like that.

There's a problem with Kancils. I can't fit in the boot of one. *biggrin* Unless I'm chopped into small pieces, by them it wouldn't matter if I knew how to escape or not....

You can't. Blue applies to those members that were around prior to the upgrade of the site. I think pre-2005 are blue or something like that.

Whether you can fit into Kancil boot is not the matter at hand.....hahahahahahahaha:rofl:

I think bro. stupidcar is referring to changing his title (1000bhp Senoir)....:rolleyes:

Naw. Degrade! Degrade!

I think Daiso or Ace Hardware sell those glow-in-the-dark stickers which you can tie around the trunk release cable or near the trunk release catch so you can find them in the dark in case you are ever bundled into your own car trunk. You can also get one those wind-up torch lights (no need to worry about battery going kaput) and put in the trunk:

Wind%20up%20torch%20Blue.jpg

The China made wind up torch? 95% broke down already. Most don't keep charge anymore. Some still work when you keep winding like dynamo running

I think Daiso or Ace Hardware sell those glow-in-the-dark stickers which you can tie around the trunk release cable or near the trunk release catch so you can find them in the dark in case you are ever bundled into your own car trunk. You can also get one those wind-up torch lights (no need to worry about battery going kaput) and put in the trunk:

Wind%20up%20torch%20Blue.jpg

The torch is the only practical option here and I will forget about those glow-in-the-dark stickers.

GITD gadgets use luminescent paint (active ingredient is usually Strontium Aluminate) which require you to 'charge' it by exposure to light before it gives out a glow. The glow fades with time and the recharge usually requires a constant and steady exposure to light....which is not something you get in the trunk unless you keep it open all the time.

The thing about GITDs is that they can give a very bright glow if you shine an intense light source at them but that glow is not long-lasting. You get a longer lasting glow if the light exposure is mild, prolong and steady but the glow gets dimmer and fades away irrespective. Some of the ads mentioned a glow life of 8 to 12 hours per charge but in my experience, by the time you reach that timeframe, the glow is very dim. I guess you can use it as a marker to tell you where your boot switch is located, but this still does not solve the issue that GITDs need frequent exposure to light to make it work and the trunk is not exactly a location that gets a lot of light (if at all).

As for torches, I always have one on my person and one in the car. My wife carries one with her everywhere. Alkaline batteries are fine if you don't plan on having them in the torch longterm but problematic if you do...because they leak. Nickel Manganese rechargeables are your best bet. They don't leak even with longterm storage and while they might cost more initially, the investment pay themselves back quickly because you save up on disposable 'one-use' short term Alkalines. The best NiMh rechargeables are still Sanyo Eneloops. And while you can get rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries for torches that throw out a whole lot more lumens, be aware that Lithium ion rechargeable require certain precautions to use safely. If you are not a flashlight enthusiast, just get a good quality torch that uses AA NiMh rechargeable. A single AA unit or a 2xAA unit will throw out more light than you can hope to use for the majority of situations.

The torch is the only practical option here and I will forget about those glow-in-the-dark stickers.

GITD gadgets use luminescent paint (active ingredient is usually Strontium Aluminate) which require you to 'charge' it by exposure to light before it gives out a glow. The glow fades with time and the recharge usually requires a constant and steady exposure to light....which is not something you get in the trunk unless you keep it open all the time.

The thing about GITDs is that they can give a very bright glow if you shine an intense light source at them but that glow is not long-lasting. You get a longer lasting glow if the light exposure is mild, prolong and steady but the glow gets dimmer and fades away irrespective. Some of the ads mentioned a glow life of 8 to 12 hours per charge but in my experience, by the time you reach that timeframe, the glow is very dim. I guess you can use it as a marker to tell you where your boot switch is located, but this still does not solve the issue that GITDs need frequent exposure to light to make it work and the trunk is not exactly a location that gets a lot of light (if at all).

As for torches, I always have one on my person and one in the car. My wife carries one with her everywhere. Alkaline batteries are fine if you don't plan on having them in the torch longterm but problematic if you do...because they leak. Nickel Manganese rechargeables are your best bet. They don't leak even with longterm storage and while they might cost more initially, the investment pay themselves back quickly because you save up on disposable 'one-use' short term Alkalines. The best NiMh rechargeables are still Sanyo Eneloops. And while you can get rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries for torches that throw out a whole lot more lumens, be aware that Lithium ion rechargeable require certain precautions to use safely. If you are not a flashlight enthusiast, just get a good quality torch that uses AA NiMh rechargeable. A single AA unit or a 2xAA unit will throw out more light than you can hope to use for the majority of situations.

Noted with thanks.

I don't think this applies to those used in mountain climbing. You have to crack it in the center and they start to glow real bright for about 10 minutes. Bloody expensive temporary glow sticks though.

I used to leave a torch in my car too, nowadays no more. Just download a torch apps to my smartphone....

Top Bottom