How to escape from a car trunk/boot

I don't think this applies to those used in mountain climbing. You have to crack it in the center and they start to glow real bright for about 10 minutes. Bloody expensive temporary glow sticks though.

Glow sticks are different. You 'crack' them allowing the chemicals within to mix and react to produce light.

The OP was originally referring to glow-in-the-dark stickers which are the luminous paint catergory.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

i always have a lighter in my pocket:biggrin:

I used to leave a torch in my car too, nowadays no more. Just download a torch apps to my smartphone....

If you can afford it, a flashlight (even a cheaper one) is better than any handphone light app or lighter.

I went through all those options and still went back to flashlights.

Lighters are good for lighting fires but barely adequate as a dedicated light source and you cannot use them safely around engines or fuel lines if you needed to check under the hood in the dark. If you have a moderate to stiff wind blowing, good luck trying keep it from going out.

Handphones torch apps using the hp camera light is deceptively bright if you look directly at it, but the light it puts out has pitiful throw....which means it won't illuminate very far. It's adequate until you really need to see something further out. I had a power line short out on a street lamp pole a couple years ago leaving the whole street pitch dark. I can hear the electrical crackle and even see the hi-voltage arc discharge but what I could not see was whether any wires had came down. When reporting an electrical fault to TNB, they will ask you for a situation report and the pole number which is stenciled to the pole itself so they know where to send their teams. In a situation like that, there is no safe way to approach the scene (you cannot see your way around any hazards) unless you have a flashlight that can throw out a usable beam. My Samsung Galaxy S2 barely illuminated a 10 to 15 feet radius....certainly not enough to discern any details without approaching too close to potential danger.

A high quality branded LED flashlight doesn't have to be expensive. Companies like Fenix make compact but powerful AA flashlights which are also inexpensive, water-proofed and impact resistant.

Hand phone flashlight provides sufficient light for us to see....unless you wana go jungle trekking, I believe it is good enough. But of course, it drains the hp battery. Nowadays a pasar malam LED torch cost around RM30-50 for a decent one...I have an FOC small made in china led torch and it lasts until now...been more than 5 years

Hand phone flashlight provides sufficient light for us to see....unless you wana go jungle trekking, I believe it is good enough. But of course, it drains the hp battery. Nowadays a pasar malam LED torch cost around RM30-50 for a decent one...I have an FOC small made in china led torch and it lasts until now...been more than 5 years

Hmm, time for another DIY torch retrofit LEDs. :biggrin:

It's a good idea to keep a torch in the car. Never know when you might need it such as to find something in the dark (whether inside or outside your car) or for emergency use. The handphone light is all right. I use it all the time to find my seats in the cinema.

BTW, I keep a tactical flashlight in my car.

I kept battery operated torch in the car before. But when want to use usually the battery is dead already. Hopefully do not require to use any torchlight from the car which usually means a breakdown....:banghead:
Did breakdown once just out of Ipoh old toll on Highway, Lucky handphone had torch apps, just nice to use in engine bay...

I kept battery operated torch in the car before. But when want to use usually the battery is dead already. Hopefully do not require to use any torchlight from the car which usually means a breakdown....:banghead:
Did breakdown once just out of Ipoh old toll on Highway, Lucky handphone had torch apps, just nice to use in engine bay...

Like I said before, Alkaline batteries do not play well on lengthy storage. They tend to leak when stored inside a flashlight which defeats the whole idea of having an emergency lightshource in the first place. They are one-use-throwaway deals and you end up spending a lot more money buying and replacing Alkalines over the mid to longterm.

Just get Sanyo Eneloops NiMH rechargeables. They are the world benchmark on NiMH rechargeables, completely stable and will not leak even with longterm storage in the torch. 1,800 full recharge cycles. A pack of four AA Eneloops will set you back just RM 55. A 2 unit charger perhaps another RM50. If you look at how much a lousy 10 pack of Alkalines cost and how quickly you use those up, the investment on the Eneloops will pay for itself very quickly.

I stuffed two of them into my Quark 2xAA flashlight since last year and with intermittent use, I only had to recharge them 4 times. I can do with less recharging cycles but 4 times since only because I never drain my batteries dry and recharge even when they are partially use....so those 4 times are not full recharge cycles. The ones in my wife's flashlight have been sitting there for nearly a year and still put out a blinding beam. No leaks.

I get my Eneloops from a seller called gadgetworld2u at lelong.com. Very reliable chap. Ships fast and good to deal with.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

BTW, I keep a tactical flashlight in my car.

For those times when you plan on going tactical.

Word of advice. When you are around folks, especially cops, survivalists, ems and rescue personnel, don't call it a "tactical" flashlight.

You will get smirks. A few will start rolling their eyes and start looking at you sideways.

That word is fashionable back when Surefire flashlights ruled the roost, but now all good flashlights have those features (and more) as standard.

Last edited:
For those times when you plan on going tactical.

Word of advice. When you are around folks, especially cops, survivalists, ems and rescue personnel, don't call it a "tactical" flashlight.

You will get smirks. A few will start rolling their eyes and start looking at you sideways.

That word is fashionable back when Surefire flashlights ruled the roost, but now all good flashlights have those features (and more) as standard.

Noted with thanks, but this advice, as do your other pompous advice, is rejected.

Last edited:
Like I said before, Alkaline batteries do not play well on lengthy storage. They tend to leak when stored inside a flashlight which defeats the whole idea of having an emergency lightshource in the first place. They are one-use-throwaway deals and you end up spending a lot more money buying and replacing Alkalines over the mid to longterm.

Just get Sanyo Eneloops NiMH rechargeables. They are the world benchmark on NiMH rechargeables, completely stable and will not leak even with longterm storage in the torch. 1,800 full recharge cycles. A pack of four AA Eneloops will set you back just RM 55. A 2 unit charger perhaps another RM50. If you look at how much a lousy 10 pack of Alkalines cost and how quickly you use those up, the investment on the Eneloops will pay for itself very quickly.

I stuffed two of them into my Quark 2xAA flashlight since last year and with intermittent use, I only had to recharge them 4 times. I can do with less recharging cycles but 4 times since only because I never drain my batteries dry and recharge even when they are partially use....so those 4 times are not full recharge cycles. The ones in my wife's flashlight have been sitting there for nearly a year and still put out a blinding beam. No leaks.

I get my Eneloops from a seller called gadgetworld2u at lelong.com. Very reliable chap. Ships fast and good to deal with.
What a coincidence? Just got a set of eneloops from Groupon. 2pcs AA with charger plus 2pcs AA free for RM59. Just wanted to ask. I know eneloops discharged very very slowly, like 25% in 2 years, but will it be affected by heat keeping it in the car?

Noted with thanks, but this advice, as do your other pompous advice, is rejected.

Makes no difference to me either way, little girl. No skin off my nose.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

What a coincidence? Just got a set of eneloops from Groupon. 2pcs AA with charger plus 2pcs AA free for RM59. Just wanted to ask. I know eneloops discharged very very slowly, like 25% in 2 years, but will it be affected by heat keeping it in the car?

Here you go buddy. This should put your concerns to bed :-

Eneloops in the car in the summer?

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you roasted it in direct sunlight.

If you are still worried, maybe carry it around with you. I carry mine clipped to my jeans pocket all the time and most of the time don't even notice it there. A 1xAA or a 2xAA unit is pretty slim. I use them often enough that I want them immediately accessible.

Makes no difference to me either way, little girl. No skin off my nose.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

Here you go buddy. This should put your concerns to bed :-

Eneloops in the car in the summer?

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you roasted it in direct sunlight.

If you are still worried, maybe carry it around with you. I carry mine clipped to my jeans pocket all the time and most of the time don't even notice it there. A 1xAA or a 2xAA unit is pretty slim. I use them often enough that I want them immediately accessible.

Thanks....

Top Bottom