How about turbocharging a NA VR4?

buy the VR4 manifold + turbine, intercooler, larger injectors, custom pipings... for a start.

you can't boost too high... you'll need to get a fuel management... and if possible, an ITC as well. Additional injectors + injector controller if you can afford it... then the fueling will be smoother than the SAFC alone... coz' your ECU is n/a... don't have boost sensor. Estimated boost: 0.4-0.5 bar

If you wanna boost higher... have to get turbo gasket, and low compression pistons. estimated boost aftter that = 0.8-1 bar.

All in all... with all the cash spent... you'll still be slower than a stock VR4. So, be smart, go get the halfcut instead... =) Spend less for more power.... unless of course, you're just doing this for the fun of experimenting with your engine, rather than the power.

kinda curious onli... duno that really can turbocharged it 1 although onli 0.something bar of boost onli. after doin all that how much hp in the end?

hmmm... not too sure this one. Theretically speaking... if u're running 0.4-0.5 bar... expect around 30-40% hp gains... not a sure figure as this kinda depends on a lotta things.

Too much power in front will make the car understeer even more...

That's why original VR4 has AWD as standard...

U can ask any one who put VR4 engines inside Satria / Wira/ Putra and they will tell u the same thing... the car understeers easily and as a result, the fun of driving FF is gone. Good for drag only.

Originally posted by acbc@Oct 14 2004, 23:26
Too much power in front will make the car understeer even more...

Oh... :o forgot bout tis understeer thingy. seems like getting the correct chasis before boosting power is the correct way.

acbc...,
Is it advisable to convert E33A to AWD? Will there be follow ups after doin such modifications in terms of
1. worst handling than before?
2. road blocks n inspections by JPJ?

sdf converted his E33A to AWD b4... was legal then but now illegal already.

Not worth it lar... just go out n find a genuine E39A... not many but not hard to find either... check out Autoworld, Motor Trader, Malay Mail or whatever classified page.

Originally posted by acbc@Oct 15 2004, 00:04
sdf converted his E33A to AWD b4... was legal then but now illegal already.

juz for my knowledge how will they know whether it's E33A or E39A during road blocks because the NA galant n galant VR4 basically looks the same rite unless they check the badge la? other than that how they can identify?

Originally posted by alvin24@Oct 15 2004, 04:19
Open bonnet... check the chassis number on the car body.
So u mean they will know all the cars in malaysia very well... But will because of the outer looks the same so won attract their attention so much? I mean not like wira to 4WD that type so obvious.

turbocharge the n/a 4G63 is worth it if you can get the parts for a cheap price . exhaust manifold , turbo , wiring & ecu , injectors , piston , gaskets , fuel pump . once you have all this , it will perform like an vr4 also , cause mappings , compression is the same as the vr4 , just that your block doesn't have oil squiters , cam's duration is different . im sure it will be reliable once you have those things i mention .

hummm...

Kher: there no such thing as NA VR4... ;) i presume u mean by NA VR4 is 4G63. Convert a 4G63 NA to 4G63T will cos u alot of money and thus not as reliable as the 4G63T aka VR4 so it not worth the money. Just buy a VR4 half cut and damn it inside ur Galant...easy as 1 2 3.....

Hi kher,

tumpang your thread since you're discussing about turbocharging N/A engine.

I would like to know whether turbocharging the 4g63 SOHC (perdana SEi) will cause lots of problem?

Let say,

- i dont need really high hp/torque, just enough to push perdana body slightly faster than stock/v6, especially when cruising at 4/5 gear. So no need to drop gear. Manual Transmission.
- i dont mind about low boost 0.4-0.5

I've already have engine management systems (piggyback) from my previous car. I thought of turbocharging the current 4g63 SOHC engine. What i need is just mechanical parts:
- turbo ex-manifold (can fit vr4 ex-manifold?)
- turbine td04
- piping
- i/c (eterna/vr4?)
- injector (vr4..too big? or GSR? too small?)

Is there anything that I left out?

Appreciate if you guys can give me comment.

Thank you

Here's what you should do. Assuming you already have an engine management... there's going to be a LOT less headaches! =)

Here are stuffs u can get on your own:
-VR4 turbo manifold
-TD04 (twin fin better of course)
-intercooler (low boost better get small small enuf, else lag, eterna TT)
-injectors (vr4 too big oso doesn't matter, coz' u got engine management)

Once u have the stuffs, then u'll need to send it to for installation and these custom parts:
-installation + custom i/c and intake pipings + silicone hoses
-custom steel braided hose for turbine cooling
-custom brackets for steel braided hose on engine head (to turbine) and oil pan (from turbine)
-downpipe

*optional: if u want can connect the water cooling for the turbine also. But low boost, should be okay kua running without it.

After all the above done, then its better u get a boost controller as well, for a more secure boost setting. TD04 can run 0.5 bar... i don't think u can tweak the actuator to run below that. If u scared, then get a TD25 instead... that one boosts slightly lower. Its the turbine from the eterna TT, but its pretty small lar... and u might have to costom it to fit your manifold.

Running on 0.5 i think should be okay lar actually... but make sure u got sufficient fuel running into your engine... else ur gasket sure go. Not to forget the ignition timing needs to be re-tuned as well.

Assuming all is done, and u're running on 0.5 bar... expect around 30%-40% hp and torque gains. =) It'll be a feeling u'll never forget.... ! =Þ

Originally posted by edgar_raphael@Jan 22 2005, 13:04
if buy the VR4 ecu, can plug and play?
hmmm... good question... i dun have the answers though... try enquiring at your workshop ler. If not mistaken... should be able to... but u'll need the air flow sensor too.

Top Bottom